1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gowri Kalyanam Vaibhogame!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mithila kannan, Jul 6, 2008.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

It was a Sunday morning and it dawned gloriously in Mr.Santhanam’s sprawling bungalow and garden,just like on any other Sunday morning.Mr.Santhanam was sitting in the portico on an easychair.There was a side table near him and all the English news papers were kept neatly stacked on it.Thats all,Santhanam would be lost to the world for the next couple of hours, burying his face deep into the newspapers .

His wife Raji was sitting in the hall near the telephone.She had a notebook and pen in her hand. For the next couple of hours,she would be reading the matrimonial sections of all the Tamil and English papers,peruse the advertisements that asked for suitable brides for bridegrooms.She would carefully shortlist the names of bridegrooms, whose professional and family details satisfied her and would note down the details and their contact numbers and addresses in her notebook.Next she would ring up the numbers of the prospective groom’s parents and would talk to them,getting their sons’ details and giving her daughter’s details.She would carefully find out the financial status and family details of the boy.She was very methodical in collecting this information from them,had it been an official duty, my dear,Raji would have got regular increment for this tedious work she has been doing relentlessly,for the past three years.

Initially when Raji started looking out for an alliance for their daughter Shobana,Santhanam also joined her and assisted her in shortlisting the bridegrooms.Santhanam would show a particular boy’s details to Raji and ask her,”How about this boy,he seems to be ok”
    Raji would screw up her face.”What do you mean?He seems to be ok,he is only anICWA.At the most he will become a Deputy Manager,you know,look for better qualified boys”She would order him.
    Next Santhanam would meekly show another boy’s details,”See he is a C.A and ICWA. Fantastic,no?”
    “Hmmm.But the boy is the eldest of a big family.Our daughter won’t be able to cope up with such a big family and responsibilities,you know!!”Her brows would knit.After some more efforts at assisting his wife in finding out a suitable boy for their daughter,now Santhanam has left the matter entirely in the hands of his wife.He had faith in God and felt strongly that the right boy for Shobana would knock on their doors at the right time.

The quiet in the hall was broken by the sudden shrill voice of Shobana,who had just then returned from her tennis sessions.”Hi!everybody!So has any unfortunate man been caught in your net so far,Ma,?”Shobu, as she was affectionately called at home,patted on her mother’s cheek,joined noses with her father and went and sat on a sofa shouting loudly,”Gowri,Gowri kutty,Gowri chellam!One coffee please!”

Gowri,Gowri kutty,Gowri chellam as she was affectionately called by Shobana was in the kitchen making an elaborate lunch,today being Sunday,the only day in the week Shobu would sit and eat with them leisurely.
    “Akka,just a minute,your coffee is ready!” piped Gowri from the kitchen and a sweet smile spread on her face,making it still more beautiful.
    Parvathi,Santhanam’s mother, an elderly lady nearing eighty, was sitting on the floor of the kitchen and cutting vegetables for lunch.Her eyes were fixed on Gowri, her grand daughter from her daughter Neela.
    Gowri was looking lovely.She was nearly twenty years old.Had a blemishless fair complexion,an oval face,eyes that looked like a pair of fish,dark and they smiled when she smiled.Long tresses that was neatly combed and put in a single plait.When she carried the coffee mug to the hall walking in that typical style of hers,slowly swinging her hips,her plait that looked like a snake, also moved like a pendulum and made one wonder,”was it her real hair?”Patti’s throat choked everytime she looked at this beautiful grand daughter of hers.
    Parvathi had a son and daughter.Even though they were a middle class family,her son Santhanam did diploma in engineering..He was not keen to take up any job that came his way. Instead,he started a small workshop in a garage with some of his friends as associates and due to his hardwork and good luck the workshop prospered and today it is a big factory supplying spare parts to big companies.His wife Raji with her childlike innocence added charm to his life.Their only daughter Shobana proved to be a scholor no doubt,she excelled in studies,did MBA from a reputed institute and is working as vice president in a bank.
    Parvathi’s daughter Neela was a college lecturer.Her brother loved her as a daughter,got her married to Raghu, a doctor by profession and they were blessed with Gowri,their beautiful daughter.It appeared that even Gods could not bear to see so much of happiness in that family.Once, Gwri went on an educational tour with her college to the North and in her absence, her parents went on a pilgrimage to some temples with their family friends, for just a couple of days.The car in which they travelled was crushed by an oncoming lorry and all the people who travelled in the car died on the spot.
    Thus Gowri who was asked to rush back to Chennai found herself as an orphan within a matter of few days.But Santhanam and his wife Raji scooped up Gowri in their arms and brought her home.From that moment,Gowri became their second daughter and for Shobana Gowri was her pet,the younger sister she never had.Santhanam persuaded Gowri to continue her studies,”Iwill put you in the best of colleges,Gowri.Study.You should become somebody in life”said he.
    But Gowri was firm,”No,periappa.Iam not interested in going out of the house only.I want to be inside the house,that only makes me feel safe.Let me learn to cook and to run the house,be of help to periamma”.So saying she put a full stop to further talks on that subject.
    “Patti,be careful .You have finished cutting vegetables,no.Now what are you thinking about so seriously?”Gowri playfully chided her grandmother.Parvathi could only heave a sigh of sadness.”What is there to think about Gowri, except you ofcourse?You have to get married to a good boy and settle down.You should have your own family dear,till then that is what Iwill be all the time thinking about”Tears rolled down Patti’s eyes.Gowri came and sat by her side.
    ‘Patti,Just don’t worry about anything,everything will be ok,periappa and periamma love me as their own daughter.Shobu akka dotes on me,you are there for me.So why are you worrying?Iam very peaceful patti,don’t worry about me”
    “Gowri,it is true your periappa and periamma love you as their daughter.Shobu loves you so much.But all said and done, you must have your family Gowri.After Iam gone I do not want you to be alone and crying yourself to sleep in the night dear”Both grandmother and granddaughter fought to control their tears.Finally Patti said,”Gowri,I had been wanting to tell yu something.My cousin,Narayani told me this.There is a temple in a place called Thiruvadanthai,on the way to mahapalipuram I believe.The main deities are Srinivasa perumal and Thayar.In this temple,the perumal is called nithya kalyana perumal because once an unmarried boy are girl go to that temple and p[ray to srinivasa perumal,definitely he or she gets married fats I believe.Narayani said that one has to carry a garland to perumal and do as the archakar tells you to do.I want you to go to that temple with periappa and periamma,Gowri and pray to srinivasa.He only has to show as the way”Patti’s voice broke.But before Gowri could say anything to Patti,they heard the following dialogue.
    “Vey good.You have a grand daughter, who is elder to Gowri and you have not given her a thought.You are busy telling Gowri which temple to go to.I never thought you would be so mean to me and my daughter”Raji who was standing near the kitchen door and listening to patti’s lecture about the temple ,silently broke out in tears.
    But Patti was not the one to be afraid.”Look here Raji,I have told Shobu so many times to keep vrat for mahalakshmi,I have told her so many times to go the Pillaiyar temple near our house and break a coconut for him every Monday and to pray to him to get a good alliance.But your daughter does not listen to me at all.On top of everything she makes fun of me.She says,”Patti,why don’t you pray to pillaiyar to marry me,he is so cute.”How do you think I would feel?”
    “But amma,we all know that you have butter in one eye (ie gowri)and chunnambu im the other eye(ie shobana)She was weeping when she left the kitchen and proceeded to her room”.
    Gowri was stunned.She ran behind her periamma.
    “Periamma.Don’t take Patti’s words otherwise, periamma.You,Akka and I will go to that temple periamma.We will go to the temple today only.Just don’t cry periamma,I can’t bear to see you crying yo know”Gowri’s eyes moisted and periamma hugged her.
    “Gowri.Really we will go today,Gowri?”
    “Yes,periamma,please tell the driver to keep the car ready periamma and tell Akka also to get ready.”
    “I have also heard about that temple Gowri.The boy or girl who is to get married has to take a garland for the perumal.The archagar will do the archanai, put the garland on perumal and give the garland back to them.The boy or girl has to wear the garland and go round the temple praharam nine times,pray to perumal and bring the garland back home.Do you think your sister will agree to wear the garland and go round the praharam nine times,Gowri.Definitely she will not,that’s why I never broached the subject so far,but when Patti….”Gowrui interrupted her,”Periamma,do not worry.I will see to it that Akka comes with us and wears the garland ok,now let us get ready for the temple”said Gowri.
    “Now,let us get ready to go to the temple,Madhava,don’t make a fuss.Come with me”said Madhavan’s mother in a serious tone.
    Madhavan was amused.Madhavan was the only son of Lakshmi.Lakshmi’s husband was a chartered accountant andhad earned lots of money.His only son Madhavan was a brilliant student and stood first in class from 1st std till he finished his Computer Engineering in a renowned Engineering college.He got a job in the USA and has been there for the past five years.Madhavan’s father expired a couple of years back and the responsibility of finding a suitable girl for him fell on the mother’s shoulders.Lakshmi did all that was possible to find a suitable girl for him,through her relatives,through matrimonial centres.But nothing seemed to work for Madhavan.He did not want to go and see a girl in person.He would say,”Amma,I can not go,see a girl and incase I did not approve of anything,turn around and say”I don’t like the girl or the horoscopes don’t match that well and all. Amma,I do not want to give false hopes to any and then come with lame excuses.Wait for some moere time,the right girl for me will come along,you will see”He would smile ,that charming smile which would melt the doting mother’s heart.Lakshmi had also waited for five long years.Every year when he came to visit his mother,his marriage was the only issue she could think of discussing with him.
    This time,she had made up her mind that come what may,her son would get married this year and go back taking his bride with him to the USA.
    So she told him,”Madhava,my friend Narayani told me that there is a temple in Thiruvadanthaiwhich is on the way to mahapalipuram.There is a perumal temple there and when a boy or girl who has to get married go to that temple do archanai to perumal and wear the garland that the archakar gives you and take nine rounds of the praharam,definitely the marriage takes place,I believe.We are going to the temple today.Now get ready to go to the temple”said she to her son.

Raji,Shobana and Gowri reached the temple,bought things required for archanai and a garland and entered the sannadhi.Srinivasa Perumal was standing there in all his glory with his devi.There was crowd in the sannadhi.
    The archagar collected the archanai plates from the people and also the garlands,he enquired of their names and stars and gothram and proceeded to do arhanai.He put the garlands which the devotees had brought on the Lord and once the archanai was over, he returned the garlands to them and said,”The boys and girls in whose behalf the archanai ha been done,please wear the garland and go round the praharam nine times. Pray to Him to get you the right match.Take the garland with you home and keep it in a neat place.Your marriage is bound to take place soon,after marriage come to the temple with your spouse,pray to Srinivarsa perumal,thank him for the favour he has shown you and hang the garland on the tree which you will seat the back of the temple”.
    The crowd dispersed.So many boys and girls accompanied by their parents or relatives wore their garlands and started going round the praharam with faith in their hearts.
    Raji called out to her daufhters.She gave the garland to Shobana and said,”Gowri,you should see to it Shobu wears this garland and goes round the praharam nine times you know.I know your eldedrsister will listen to you.It is very hot, dear,Iam not able to bear it.I will go and sit somewhere”said Raji looking out for shade.
    “Amma.don’t worry.I will wear the garland.You go and sit in the car.Ask the driver to put on the ac in the car.We will finish our rounds and come fast.You go, Amma”so saying Shobana pushed her mother towards the exit.Raji who had become very tired by this time,listened to her and proceeded towards their car.
    “Akka,now wear this garland”so saying,Gowri took the garland fro mShobu’s hands and tried to put it round her neck.But Shobu was quicker,”You silly girl,you thought I would wear this garland and come round the praharams like a fool.This is meant for you dear.You only wear this and go round the praharams nine times,in the meanwhile I will sit under the tree there and be reading a book.Dont try to cheat,dear,srinivasa perumal is strong in numbers and he will find out if you cut short the rounds”Shobana walked fast to sit under the tree and Gowri stood there,carrying the garland in her arms.She was stupefied.

Gowri felt like a fool.Her periamma had entrusted her with the responsibility of making Shobana wear the garland and complete nine rounds of the praharam praying to Perumal all the while to get a good alliance for her akka.Here she is the garland which was meant to be worn by Shobana on her neck and Shobana happi;y walking away.Gowri was filled with shame,guile and helplessness.”What will her periamma think about her?.She would definitely think that Gowri is a selfish,cunning girl.She had planned this trip to the temple for her own sake.Gowri flinched.”Why should I wear this garland?I will go and tell periamma that akka refuses to wear the garland and we will go home.Yes,that is the right thing to do”So thinking,Gowri bent a little and was in the process of removing the garland from her neck,when a hand stopped her from doing that.
    “No my child,do not remove the garland from your neck.Once you have worn it, in the presence of God in his sannadhi,you can remove it only after doing the pratakshanam nine times, my dear”so saying,Lakshmi prevented Gowri from removing the garland from her neck.When Gowri proceeded to tell her that the garland was meant for her elder sister Shobana and how she made Gowri wear it.Lakshmi smiled ans said,”My child,I had been watching everything from a distance,you know?Your periamma wanted you to somehow make your sister wear the garland and finish the nine rounds and went away.Your sister proved too smart for you.She did not want to wear the garland and she made you wear that.Never mind,it was not your sister who made you wear this garland.It was Srinivasa who made you wear this garland,my dear.Whatever he does is with a purpose,you know.You wear this and come with me”
    She turned to her son and introduced Madhavan to her,”My dear,this is my son Madhavan.He is also like your akka only.I had to force him to come to the temple”Gowri looked at Madhavan who was looking at her with a smile on his face.Wearing a silk dhothi,a silk shirt and the garland round his neck,he looked like a bridegroom,thought Gowri and immediately cursed herself for such unseemly thoughts.It appeared as if Madhavan read her thoughts,his smile became wider and Gowri blushed to the tip of her hair roots and averted her eyes.Madhavan continued to look at her with that enchanting smile.
    Lakshmi and Gowri walked side by side,Madhavan walking behind them.Lakshmi’s soft voice,kind words and affectioanate touch opened a gate in Gowri’s heart and there she was talking to Lakshmi as she never talked to any one else before.
    They had completed the nineth round when Raji’s voice encountered them.”Gowri,what is this?I had asked you to make your sister wear the garland and here you are with the garland.Why did not you tell me that you wanted to wear this and do the pratakshanam first,I would not have said anything.You cunning girl…”Before Raji proceeded further,Lakshmi was by her side.She explained to Raji how Shobana refused to wear the garland and go round the praharams and how she forcibly made Gowri wear the garland.
    “Mami,it is all God’s will.Gowri wanted to remove the garland,I only told her that she should not do so.It is like insulting God,because,I feel hat God only wanted her to wear this So,please don’t get angry with her”.
    Raji relented and gave a venomopus look to her daughter Shobana who had a mischievous smile on her face.
    The next morning dawned in Santhanam’s house carrying with it the fragrance of the flowers in the garden and a happiness that spread in the nooks and corners of that house.At around ten o ‘ clock the telephone in the hall rang,Shobana answered the call and then called out to her parents excitedly.”Appa,Amma come here.Amma the mami who met us in the temple yesterday wants to speak to both of you”.Raji’s face glowed like a thousand watts bulb when she took the phone from her daughter to speak to Lakshmi.
    “Mami,I want to come to your house with my son.I and my son have become very fond of Gowri,your younger daughter.My son Madhavan who refused marriage all these years wants to marry her.I want to talk to you,your husband and your mother in law.Is that ok with you”
    Raji’s eyes filled with tears.Her voice choked.She said,”Our daughter Gowri is lucky to marry your son,mami.You have made us very happy.Please come home”
    She hugged Gowri and wept unashamedly for they were tears of joy.Santhanam wiped his tears,Patti stood in the entrance to the hall ,wearing her heart on her face which was wreathed in smiles.Shobana who was a well built and tall girl,went near Gowri and lifted her up,”So my pet is getting married.That fellow ,Madhavan is a cunning chap,Iam going to ask him for a dowry”cried she with a broad smile on her face.
    This is a happy family,dear,this family members know only kindness and cheerfulness.Jealousy and dislike are terms that are not to be found in their dictionary.

Lakshmi said to Santhanam and raji and the grand old Parvathi Patti,”We like Gowri.We do not expect anything from you except Gowri’s hand for my son.A simple marriage in a temple will do”
    “Why,We will give our daughter a grand wedding,she is the apple of our eyes.Only thing is I will miss her,What will I do with out my Gowri to talk to me and support me?”Raji’s voice choked.
    Madhavan and Gowri visited the temple after their marriage, carrying the garlands which both of them wore when they came to the temple first.They stood at the sannadhi and looked at Sriman Srinivasa perumal.It looked as if Perumal looked at them and smiled.
    When Madhavan and Gowri looked at each other and smiled,that smile carried a thousand meanings and a million words unsaid.
    This couple have started their life together with faith and love in their hearts and with the blessings of one and all.Iam sure life is going to be blissful for them.

Sitha kalyanam vaibhogame!
    Rama kalyanam vaibhogame!
    Gowri kalyanam vaibhogame!

sindmani likes this.

2. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Dear Mithila

It sure is refreshing to read about a family who cared for an extended family member's daughter as their own.
    Nice piece of narration, as always!

3. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi, Mithila Kannan,

Beautiful narration !! It is as if, you were with me and witnessed my Marriage. My name is also "Gowri" and had a similar experience during my marriage. Great !!

4. csailaja

csailaja Senior IL'ite

hello mam,

your writings are excellent mam.you make the reader completely immerse in the story.Bow
    we will be looking forward to your next story.

I have a small doubt could you
    please clarify mam,

you mentioned about the temple thiruvandantai
    is it fictional or such a temple exist then where is it located.could you please give the details.

thankyou very much
    Radhika

5. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Hi Radhika,

Got some crisp details of the temple :

LOCATION OF THE TEMPLE: Sri Nithyakalyanaperumal Temple, is situated at Thiruvidanthai, a small village near chennai, Tamilnadu, India. Approximately 40kms from Chennai on ECR.
    HISTORY OF THE TEMPLE: Along the banks of Saraswathi river, in Sambu Island, lived a rishi by named "Kuni" along with his Sishyaas. An small woman helped him and did all the necessary needs towards him. After attaing the maturity, she started to do the tapas. At that time, Naaradar came to her and said that only married woman's tapas are accepted and after then only they can get the final destiny, the Moksha.
    So she, went to the Muni's place and asked whether someone in the place can marry her. At that time, Kalava muni said that he will marry her and they both got married and gave birth to 360 female child within a year. Kalava muni became so sad and worried, because he has to make the duty of all 360 woman children to get married to a good persons. So, he came to this sthalam and worshipped the Aadhi Varaghapperumal.
    One day, the perumal came there as a Brahmacchari (Bacheolor) and said to Kalava muni that he will marry all of 360 girls daily. Since, he married all the girls daily, he is named as "Nithiya Kalyana Perumal".

Hope you are not bothered, I answered the question !

6. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

wow mithila mam

that was so nice and romantic...nice to know that the usual jealousy was not there....actually i liked rajis character..anybody in her position would have reacted like that to her mils words but actually she is a very nice woman to care for gowri and be happy for her...

Mindi

7. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear M Mami,

A beautiful narration. I just could visulaise Madhavan and Gowri seeing each other coyly in the temple praharam.

It was very refreshing to read all good people together.

8. mithila kannan

My dear mindian,
    Thank you for stepping in and giving your energy boosting comment.
    I also liked writing Raji,I would have gone on and on,I had to restrain myself.Iam happy you liked the story.
    love
    mithila kannan

9. mithila kannan

My dear Lalitha,
    We are seeing each other after quite sometime.How are you?
    Iam happy you liked the story.In the olden days,the huge temples where some festival or other took place through out the year and the wedding halls were the places where young men and women met each other.Nice to hear abour it,no?
    Thanks for stepping in,lalitha and your kind words.
    love
    mithila kannan

10. mithila kannan

My dear Gowri66,
    Well Iam so happy to meet this Gowri,my dear.Thank you for giving details about the tremple to Radhika.Very sweet of you.
    Lots of love
    mithila kannan