1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Good habits to teach our children

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by mukilganesh, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mukilganesh

mukilganesh Bronze IL'ite

Hi Traveller

You have brought out an excellent point in saying that we as parents have to be role models to our children. Kids have a tendency to follow the habits of those with whom they spend a lot of time with and if we are a good example to them, then that is the best way to impart good habits.

And my appreciation to your Mom to have taught you and your brother that valuable lesson in not harming animals or anything that is less fortunate. They have an equal right on this earth just as we do.

I have been trying to make my son understand that he is one of the blessed and lucky ones on this earth as he is not disabled and he has his own family who loves him. I make him realize that he should be satisfied with what he has.

2. mukilganesh

Hi Varalekshmy

Thank you. I am trying to be the best mother I can be for my son who is 9 and my only child, too. Well done to you too as I can see that you are a wonderful mother, seeing your son has acquired good qualities!

You have brought out an important point in teaching our children not to be afraid of unknown things. It will go a long way in helping them as they grow up to be adults.

3. mukilganesh

Hi Shanthi

Respecting our elders no matter who they are is a very important aspect in developing good character in a person. Children should be made to understand that only if we are respectful to others, others will respect us in return.

Politeness is one of the top ten qualities a child should be taught at an early age.

You are right about parents being examples to teach those magic words, 'Thank you' & 'Sorry' to our children. They are essential words to be taught at an early age.

4. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I am also trying to show my boy that he's lucky to have whatever he wants. When he asks for a toy my DH always tells him that he should not ask everytime we go out because there are many children who do not have toys. These days he tells us that DH works hard, the boss gives money and only then he can go to school, wear jackets. I think it's getting into his mind!

Just the other day I was thinking in my school days buying a pack of sketch pens and geometry box was so expensive. And my parents taught us to be careful with them, use them prudently and the geometry set is still there at my parents' place. That is a bit difficult with this generation, I think!

Other thing is not to waste food. From the time my boy wanted to serve himself we tell him to take little portions and add more once he is finished. These days when i take him to a bakery he does want to buy a big piece of cake. But i repeatedly ask him if he can finish it then we can buy (ofcourse we can also finish it but that's not the point)... then after some fuss and reluctance he settles for a smaller one.

Latha

5. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for Sharing Mukil.

I also Keep saying to my 6 yr Old son, to respect elders, he calls our maid as Aunty, and not to hurt animals, now he loves animals and 1 day he wanted to bring home a little street puppy who was badly hurt. bonk

Regards
    Rani

6. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

Hi

These are nice points that you have written about teaching a child about good habits..Its infact a challenge to teach them all this and we need to be very patient in this venture..

lov
    sowmi

7. mukilganesh

Hi Latha

The habits you are instilling in your son will go a long way in shaping his character and I am sure he will grow up to be a wonderful man.

On the subject of toys I have something to share that I do with my son. When we go shopping, my son would get 'rewarded' for good behaviour with a little toy car instead of sweets. (I have kept my son well away from sweets and candy from when he was a baby that he says, 'No' to anyone offering them to him. I have only given him a little chocolate once in a while as a reward.) My son has developed a passion for cars since he was 2 1/2 and has quite a collection of the little cars which were mainly rewards. So at the shop if he asks for something(we don't buy everything he asks for nor do we buy him something everytime we go out) if I can think of something good he has done(and I will mention it to him that I appreciate that behaviour) we would get him his car, and vice versa, if we feel that he has done something unacceptable, we explain that is the reason for not getting him something that day. I would not call this 'bribing' as I feel that it has helped him understand/learn/differentiate good and bad habits very easily.

On the subject of food, apart from making him realize not to waste his food(I know how much he eats and only put that amount on his plate which he cleans up to the last grain of rice or whatever food is served that day), I have also explained the facts of nutritious food and junk food. I told him that good food will help his body build a resistance to germs while junk food will make the body weak and unable to develop the much needed immunity against infections. He very rarely eats patato crisps/chips (once in a blue moon) and I mentioned this particular food because an incident brings a smile to my face.

On one of our travels(my son was 5), due to the transit period between flights we had to get our lunch at the airport. We got the meal deal which included a sandwich, drink and a packet of crisps. After my son had the sandwich, when I offered the crisps to him, he said in a loud voice, "No Amma, that's junk food!" Everyone sitting around us looked up with this amused expression and I wished the floor would just open up and swallow me! :rotfl

8. mukilganesh

Hi Rani

You have done well in teaching him those 2 very important qualities that are essential and the fact that he wanted to save that puppy proves that your lesson has hit home. Bless his heart!

Thanks to my Mom I have saved a few lost animals myself and will continue to do so. I am sure my son will follow my footsteps as he absolutely loves animals, too.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. mukilganesh

Hi Sowmi

Challenge is the right word as it requires a lot of patience(to repeatedly remind children) to teach them. But our patience will be rewarded when we see them grow up to be admirable adults.

I feel that teaching our children good habits also helps them in adjusting and coping to live a better life.

10. shobanaj

shobanaj Senior IL'ite

All of you ladies have brought up many good pointers using which moms like me can be enlightened.

Thanks again.