Gift For Colleague/manager

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Jas82688, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Jas82688

Jas82688 Silver IL'ite

hello ladies

My manager will be leaving the company soon .. he has been our great manager encouraged me all the time .. helped and supported me during the tough time never micro managed and had believed us all the time .. now he is leaving ..

So my question is can we gift any thing if a person is leaving company especially whom you reported .. a gift card or something .. is it ok to give to show your respect .. I never did that or seen any one doing it ..so I don’t want to do something not common in US ..

So tell me is it ok to give a gift card if so how much worth it should be for an IT manager ..?

2. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

I don’t see any problem with giving a gift. Personally I won’t give a gift certificate. Instead give something you know he might enjoy. A bottle of wine, a leather bound journal, a book that you might have talked about etc. I would keep the gift to about $50 range to not make other person uncomfortable accepting it.
    Our office secretary retired recently and I bought her a book: ‘Chai: The experience of Indian Tea by Rekha Sarin’ along with some good Indian tea. We had many conversations about chai over the last 3 years and I knew she would appreciate it.

3. Angela123

Angela123 Gold IL'ite

If he is going to another state, give him some souvenir of your state. My Boss once gave me a cheese serving board. See this link State Cheese Boards | Bamboo Cutting Board, 50 States
    Remember about any of his interests and gift accordingly. Some examples below.

Baseball/football/oprah tickets (might be expensive)
    Coffee mugs/starbucks gift cards
    A low maintenance plant for next office
    Anything that he can put it on his desk

Hope this helps