Gestational Diabeties And Care

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Janakinarne, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Hi to all.... my GTT value (77fasting and 171 after having glucose),my doc suggested me to avoid all types of fruits..and said that to break the meals to 6 times a day...
    But I have a doubt.. before my conception I have HB 14 and during my NT scan it's shown am anemia,so after that I started taking promogranate and orange juice daily for two months recently when I checked it's 12 now,my doubt is if I stopped taking fruits how can I improve my HB values,right now am in 21weeks of pregnancy,when weeks increasing HB levels will come down right,
    When I asked same thing doc said with fruits u Wil get onl vitamins if you want to eat fruits then u can start insulin so that the surger levels will be maintained,
    How can I substitute fruits with other things.. Don't want to go with Insulin,so plz suggest some food which equally helps to increase my HB values,thank u
    And Al's give me some suggestions regarding to maintain gestational diabeties in range without medicine,

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

may be you need to take iron vitamin tablets.
    SOme fruits may not raise glucose, do some google search and talk to doctor.

3. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Ofcource amtaking iron calcium and folic tablet daily,my doc said no fruits have to avoid thought of remaining pregnancy, otherwise switch to insulin to maintain the glucose levels..

4. Mehana

Mehana Platinum IL'ite

Google for low carb fruits . Also get appointment with nutritionist or dietician they will suggest you a plan.

Thyagarajan and beautifullife30 like this.
  5. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Try to avoid rice and replace it with millets. For gd, you should reduce carb intake and increase protein rich foods. If you are non vegetarian then you can eggs and chicken. Else you can have paneer.

Did you took 3hours glucose tolerance test??

Ps : I had gd in my second pregnancy, able to control it through diet and exercise. You can search for my post here. If it helps you in any way then I would be happy.

6. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

@lazy thanks for replying,s I started taking brown rice 5days a week and one time in the day idly and night with Millet/ragi dosa mostly..some times chapati...s going to walking at least 50 mins in a day if I feel better will go morning 40 mins and evening 30 mins,s am non veg onl but not much,only once in a day am consuming rice that to less quantity so not able to include more veggies in my diet,
    Can u plz share again ur dief chart for me here,so that it will help me too..
    No my doc said fasting and 2hrs after glucose only,again tomorrow I have to go with fasting and after 1 hr bfast ,if the values are in range I have to maintain the same way otherwise have to met the doc again ..wish everything will be fine...and maintaining the weight als ..
    Al's stopped all fruits rather than guava fruit that too started recently bcoz am feeling hungry and as a snack am taking it..
    And only thing I can't able to control my self is popcorn..am craving alot to that...and having day by day..which is very hard to control from it .
    Can I have popcorn??
    Thanks for sharing..

7. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Sorry dear am not sure about popcorn. Once I failed my one hour gct, doctor gave me 10days to follow new diet and walking. My diet goes like, morning 2 idly, mid snack one boiled egg, afternoon half cup rice and lots of veggies. Again one egg and night 2-3 chapathi. My Dr want me to drink one litre of milk daily, so I followed it strictly. Regarding. Walking before food 20mins walking after food 20min walking. Have to follow this for 3 meals. I followed this diet for 10 days and failed in gtt :(

So again my Dr gave me one week time to control the sugar through diet if not I should meet the endocrinologist for taking insulin. So I just stopped following my diet and totally converted to millets. At that time I was around 30weeks,started having heart burn issues. So I stopped having spicy foods. Morning I will have any millets curd rice with 2 eggs. Afternoon millets rice with veggies. Dinner again millets with egg or paneer. Daily I will take egg and paneer for protein along with One litre milk. After following this diet with walking I am able to control my sugar level. So followed the same diet till delivery. Though my diet sounds tasteless I had no other way to control my sugar levels. I just followed it. All human bodies are not same, my diet may or may not work for you. Until you try and check your levels we can't assure it. Now am 10weeks pp, just waiting to check my sugar levels again.
    If you have any doubts please let me know happy to help you :)

Janakinarne likes this.
  8. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

And regarding fruits, my Dr gave permission to have only half fruit per day. After following this diet my weight gain was not much. Throughout the pregnancy I gained only 6-7kgs, after csec I lost that weight too. I
    ts simple, if you are having carbs food you should have equal or larger amount of protein foods along with that. So try to have protein rich foods. Before having my gtt test I will have one cup of sundal as my breakfast missed to add it. Once heart burn issue started I stopped having that too. Fully converted to millets

9. Janakinarne

Janakinarne Gold IL'ite

Congratulations,wish u and baby are doing good,in which week u delivered??y went to c-sec??is it due history of GTT u have before??ur lucky,still 30wweeks u enjoyed food,for me by 21week itself going to know, actually during my first trimester it's normal,and with GTT only it 30points increased that to after having glucose water, fasting is fine,
    Oho ur doc gave u second chance but my doc said if tomorrow test failed I have to met endocrinologist
    And have to start insulin,
    Millet rice means onl foxtail Miller's or everything u took??oho bit difficult na daily means,am taking brown rice during lunch and feeling like very difficult to eat,but some wat managing,
    I too have heart burn and gastric prob so afraid of taking beans and other stuff,
    In mid day talking some dry fruits like rasberries,like 5-6nos,and feeling very hungry so craving for popcorn,can I take roasted ground nuts in the evening snacks??
    Oho 1lt of milk consumption ??am taking 400ml of milk daily,for me milk consumption increase my weight,and my weight is stable from past 2weeks ,fingers crossing wish everything will be normal in tomorrow's results,
    My doc als said to split the food to 6 times which is am not feeling having the same again, so instead of it replacing with some snacks,
    Kk after each meal 20 mins walk na,am doing in the night,but after bfast am exhausted so just for 5mins I will do,k will follow form ur chart, thanks for sharing the details,
    Take care,, enjoy with your baby...

10. lazy

lazy Silver IL'ite

Thanks for your wishes. Delivered at 38+6wks. I was not able to control my fasting level through diet and walking routine, normal level should be below 90. I was 93 at that time. Dr was not ready to take risk, and don't want to start insulin at that time (baby was already reached full term 38wk) so we went for csec. My first pregnancy was emergency csec, this time we planned for vbac, since sugar was fluctuating Dr didn't go for trial of labour directly went ahead with csec.

My gtt level are always at border line, if normal level was 140, my level would be 144. So Dr gave me a second chance. If not she would have told me to meet the endocrinologist.

All type of millets. Ya it's very difficult just lost the interest on foods

Janakinarne likes this.