1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gender Discrimination !!! Why???

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sandyr, Jul 8, 2009.

1. sandyr

sandyr New IL'ite

I still fail to understand why the so called ‘Gender Discrimination’ still exist in our society when people speak about equality among men and women…
    Take the case of my best friend Kristine…fighting for her childs custody, fighting for a divorce, trying to end a non-meaningful relationship and above all fighting to get her identity back……..
    HOW IT ALL STARTED ??
    Today I received a mail from my friend in Mumbai and I was a bit annoyed...What an irony ??
    Kristine’s story !!
    Kristine is married and has a son aged 12. Two years back her husband happily left her for a younger woman. 12 years of marital bonds was severed in just one phrase ‘ I don’t feel the same for you’ How does 12 years of love, sacrifice, love diminish just in one liners ???
    How could he leave a woman who sacrificed her own kith and kin, labored the pains to have his baby, like a maid cooked, cleaned, used her entire savings to marry his sister, supported him financially…
    Kristine was during the 4th month of her pregnancy and she was horrified when she came to know of his illegal relationship. Angry and dismayed she confronted him and decided to inform his parents of the situation as she had nobody of her own excepting her old mother.
    Imagine her plight when he coolly claimed that his parents were aware about this and infact his mother (or monster-in-law as I would call her !!) had even approved the relationship…the trauma affected Kristine so much that she had a miscarriage and was even more petrified when the doctors reported that she had only 80% chances of survival as the miscarriage had occurred after completion of 4 months..(now I wont know much about pregnancies so pardon me if I am not thorough with the terms) utterly helpless and cheated Christine decided to go back to her mother along with her son who was 10 at that time…But by the grace of the almighty and with the support of all us friends she survived the operation..
    Emotionally distraught Kristine fell into a deep depression..it took her a year to return back being herself again. Her ordeal doesn’t end here. On filing for a divorce her so called husband (hate to call him that..so I will just use the word ‘ex’..) refused to sign the papers stating that he wants the custody of the child, and ALIMONY !!! In addition, he has been holding all her important documents, like her degree certificates, the childs birth certificate and many other valuable documents so that she wont find survival at all.. Oh yes not to forget he is ready for a dissolution if she retracts her case without imposing any charges on him !!!!! He has been black mailing her with the clout of his sister’s husband who apparently is a big shot business man. Together they have been giving Kristine a hard time and the fight still continues till date and I really hope she wins the case..
    Well the fight still continues…we have told Kristine not to give up..certificates or no certificates we used our clout to get her a well paid job..and an admission for her son in a good school…Kristine is a born fighter and she will not allow people like these to detriment her…And a smart woman like her, she has definitely done good for herself !!!
    Now why I gave the title of ‘Gender Discrimination’ to this story ??
    Well that’s the hilarious part..a few friends back in Mumbai tried to get her hooked up..and we were surprised with her responses..she says the guys who dated her (even the ones from the so called marriage portals) were a bit apprehensive about marriage…why --- divorcee with a baggage---but.. a live-in relationship was fine with them.
    Some of them even had the audacity to claim that divorced/widowed/married men have 100% chances of getting a single girl to marry but its so not the case with divorced women and that’s how the society works !!!!
    Now isn’t that a ‘Gender Discrimination’??
    Also another point that I always keep wondering about. A single girl may have had several disastrous relationships or she may have slept around with ten different men but at the end of the day she comes with a ‘Single’ tag and so all is ‘ACCEPTABLE’ about her..I mean some of them may not even reveal about their past…but who cares !!!
    So how exactly does the system work here??? With each passing day I am losing faith......where is the world heading too???
    All you people out there..hope you can shed some light on this matter !!

2. Deepali_deepali

Deepali_deepali Gold IL'ite

Hey Sandy,When God sends a woman in this world, he sends her with an invisible power too, a patience to suffer till limits. Kristine is a woman and she has set an example of not giving up and she should continue this. She has a life of her own too, why she needs again a man. If we look around we can find many single mothers. Kristine is no doubt a victim of bad marriage but she has a come a long way already. She has to maintain her courage for lifetime..