1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Gender-based roles - does it float your boat?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SSC, Oct 21, 2011.

1. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

I've been wanting to bring up this topic for quite sometime now. I have been brought up to not believe in gender-based roles !! I've been independent, away from home and self-sufficient, and so does my partner (in my case, my BF). We do not have any gender-specific roles when we plan to do something. We both do whatever we are good at. I'm a better driver, so I drive. I'm a good veggie cook, whereas he being a staunch non-vegetarian, is a better non-veg cook!! I love sports, he loves gaming. I love to do activities, and he loves to socialize and host/attend parties. In short, both of us cook, both of us do dishes, both of us work, both of us have a good circle of friends and both of us are independent.

There have been a few posts here, that says, "Oh men will be men" or "All men/ all women are like that", and many other generalizations. I believe all generalizations are false, there are exceptions to every rule.

So, my question is, Do you have gender-specific roles between you and your partner? I'm looking to have some healthy discussions and like to know, if there are households that still run on gender-specific roles? If they do, then what does the woman in such relationships think about it.

2. Saumyamom

Saumyamom Silver IL'ite

Well ,i am being thrust with gender specific roles telling that if there were none I would have gotten married to a male ..Unless I am sick ,tired or back breakingly loaded with work I can expect no help

3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Ah SSC ...I can remember months ago when I joined the IL I was going
    What:bonk ,NO ,how can u say that:spin,Thats so Ridiculous :rantto each one of the sweeping generalization posts here in the IL rel forum. I have gotten somewhat thick skinned but some posts still get under my skin.

Now to the topic. We do not have any gender based roles at home . DH and I both earn/ cook /clean/ organize/ take care of kids/ drive ...etc..It is one of the reasons why we both don't feel constrained in any way and we both pursue our hobbies and professions without any guilt.

The only gender specific thing at home
    For my DH :
    Lifting heavy luggage /grocery bags from store/small handy man jobs. He is such a sweet heart.:kiss

For me : hmmm thinking thinking......I will come back and post..for sure..there must be something right !!

1 person likes this.
  4. anonymou

anonymou Silver IL'ite

Good that you raised this topic.
    IMO, in general difference does exist in male/female psyche and preference due to different generic make-up. But in today's complex world those genetic differences do not "exactly" map to different functions which are complex in nature. Also, the generic genetic superiority or inferiority for primitive tasks (like walking, running, concentrating) do not actually map to individuals. So even though genetically men may be equipped to be better runners then females, in a particualr couple, female might be better runner of the two.
    What society does, during upbringing is try to increase those in-born differences by giving a male an environment which it feels is more suitable for males 'generally' and similiarly for females. This also leads us to believe in things like male pride and feminine elegance in things in which males and females are supposed to excel respectively. Now, comes the modern age and suddenly the females think that areas of their supposed excellence are inferior to those of males(cooking is considered is less skillful than practicing medicine, tendering children is considered less skillful than driving). Then the drive started of removing gender based roles and today we found that most role-allocation was either artificial(not in-born) or the differences were minimal.
    As to " if there are households that still run on gender-specific roles?" - many, if not most IMO. Infact, its the gender specific roles that created the institution of marriage. In a gender-nuetral society where both partners do not actually 'depend' on each other, but are tied by love and emotion only, shall marriage as an institution even survive - we probably dont know. We are yet to see it, and I am not saying it is good thing or bad thing, it may just be the next step in human development story.

5. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

Saumya,
    I read your other thread - your spouse and love.. I really did not know what to post.. But I hope for your own sake, things turn around soon!! Wishing you the best!!!

6. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

JAG,
    At times, when I go around saying generalizations are ridiculous, it makes me feel like a prophet!! Haha!! I hear you!!!

Sounds very nice... Thats where I would like to be eventually, be independent, but still be the TEAM....
    Well, carrying bags, my BF is really a sweetheart in that... I have a very small demeanor, whereas he is huge, and he carries those heavy bags, like tinie tiny ants, and its a sight I love to watch!!!
    And I call him the fixer!!! I was very destructive even as a kid, and he gets my back fixing things for me!!!

7. SSC

SSC Platinum IL'ite

anonymou,

Yes, there are some gender-specific roles like women and child birth, women being the 'physically' weaker sex, which I definitely do agree with..

With the others, I would agree to disagree with you... Thanks for dropping in, with your views...

8. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

The change came about not because women suddenly woke up one fine bright morning and thought that child rearing and cooking is not 'cool' any more..It came about as a natural instinct to survive when 'SHE' was systematically taken advantage of with no financial ,political and religious freedom or rights.

3 people like this.
  9. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hey SSC,

My DH and I do not believe in gender based roles.

But in reality when it comes to doing things, I take more time and need help in areas like financials, fixing electronics etc.

Since more time is required for me and not affordable after a kid, I have started giving them to my husband and I own cooking,cleaning etc. Earlier, he used to help me in cooking but now I have freed him.

In our case, it is mostly based on time management per chore. Whoever can do it better, owns it.

So the divide is happening naturally. I am not liking this as I don't want my daughter to grow up in this divided setup. I have to do about this!!!

10. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

taking care of my kid and day-to-day stuff are my tasks. i know my husband will wear out within 2 hrs if he was to take care of my kid. its getting better as they grow up but taking care of infant and toddler was not his cup of tea. i dont mind doing different things. Also, i sometimes try to get my husband involved in doing something esp in caring for the baby. its important that he plays a role in their early yrs. other things i dont care much. i just do what i can and should. if i ask, he will say yes but takes a long time to start and finish.. so i dont ask :)..i do it myself.