Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Brilliant! You have attained enlightenment Viswa! ; )

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. PepperPot

PepperPot Gold IL'ite

I had sort of the reverse situation. Had turned a vegetarian and wasn't missing meat for 5 years when I moved in with my husband. He stopped cooking meat and insisted he didn't even feel like it. So my version of Bharatiya naari started chomping down on birds and fish to put him at ease. :neutral:

Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  3. Gauri03

Why is it always us women making accommodations for our spouses? I think this behavior is unique to Indian women born before the 90s. It's like we're caught in a cultural time warp, neither here nor there.

Laks09 and PepperPot like this.
  4. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

I have had similar experiences in India.

I have a prosthetic fit in my body which should be replaced every 12-15 years. When I go for a check up here, the doctors causally inquire, “Where did you get this done.”

When I tell that a small-town doctor fixed me up as a kid at that time, they act surprised and remark that it was done expertly. One or two I would not have bothered but every doctor had remarked the same. Few years ago, I called up my mom and inquired, “Is that doctor still alive?” She asked why don't I get it done where I stay to which I responded that doctors here are of high esteem of that Indian doctor even without meeting him solely based on his marksmanship (on me). Later when I was in India, I met up with that doctor and inquired why these doctors abroad say that he has done a neat job. To which he explained the challenge he had in my case and how he fixed it. I didn't fully understand the medical terminology but all I know is that for my next implant replacement I will disinter him from his grave and get the work done only through him. Two things also struck me about him (1) He still remembers that procedure on me years later (2) He noted he was challenged by technology at that time but now he would do an even better job on me. May the presence and passion of his tribe increase!

satchitananda likes this.
  5. Gauri03

You ought to start a thread for the carnivores. It's unfair to let these delectable food pics get lost in the random clutter of a chat thread. You needn't feel any pressure to keep it current. Post whenever you feel like it. You never know who will join in. It might inspire me to make more of an effort and post something too.

Laks09 likes this.
  6. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Cadet reporting to the feminist camp.

Ek friend ko convert (read : corrupt) karni ki bahut koshish ki.

He: OK, I will have biryani for your sake.
    Me: Pouts.
    He: OK, I will have egg biryani for your sake.
    Me: Pouts again.
    He: No way.

So we end up ordering egg biryani and egg and chicken biryani. Cadet has failed in her feminist cultural reversal mission.

CBEB.PNG

Last edited: May 26, 2017
    Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  7. Gauri03

OMG! :hearteyes::hearteyes: You couldn't convert him but you have converted me. I'm going to be busy making chicken biryani this weekend!

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

By page#2 of every initiative, my enthusiasm will flag and I will drift over to other interests. You know me by now.

My sustainability levels are very low. Today fish, tomorrow filigree, the day after, surfing in Fiji. I am more suitable for that sidekick role than any enterprising role. I am supposed to wrap up that gravity thread also for my own sake so that I complete tasks I opt for.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

A plate full of food kept in front is the white flag. Eating and cleaning is positive response to the white flag. :)

Laks09 and Gauri03 like this.
  10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

You remind me of my uncle, Cheeniya. The story goes like he lost his right eye as a kid while playing gully cricket. Today he is a successful businessman, drives his own car too, made everything possible to him with just that one eye and his confidence. His story always inspires me. Now that I'm kinda ill myself, a little bit with damaged bones and tissues, your 'good' with those extra o's kinda perks me up too! Thank you for that positive note today. To the good vibes, Cheers.

Amica, Gauri03, Laks09 and 2 others like this.