Gabfest: And Thereby Hangs A Tail

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Cimorene, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

It's been years since I watched a horror movie. My husband belongs to your tribe -- the scaredy cats.

images.jpg

He feigns nonchalance and laughs off my suggestions to watch horror while the truth is that he is terrified inside.
    I really enjoy a good horror flick but not enough to watch it by myself. :tongueclosed:

Viswamitra likes this.
  2. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

Lol. Quite the reverse here, my dh enjoys a good horror entertainment. I don't know what he loves more, the movie or teasing me or both the same time! Guess that's the fun about watching together but I watch anyway, with or without company, even if that meant feeling shaky a week later too! :sweatsmile::tongueclosed:

Btw does vintage interest you? Try this "spooky" ghost movie: The Haunted House (1908) by Spanish film legend, dir. Segundo de Chomón.

It was shared to me recently. Such a treat! Enjoy if you will too! :beer-toast1:

Gauri03 likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Hahaha. The one who laughs off the suggestions to watch horror movie is terrified and the one who enjoys is scared to watch by herself. A perfect match!

Gauri03 likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

"Idudhan Kasu Kuduthu Soonyam Vachukardu"

Meaning: Pay money to have black magic set up against yourself.

kaniths likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

@Gauri03

A very nice photograph of organic apples in a plastic bag hanging from the fence. The neighbors may be happy to get an idea from you how to dispose of their excess apples from their own trees. Hence not objecting it so far. Do you have any charitable organization nearby that could collect those apples for the homeless? I know neither of you would have time to donate them with your tight schedules. Here in Florida, Apple Pie is a favorite item for the homeless and I am not sure whether it is in California.

Viswa

Gauri03 likes this.
  6. Gauri03

I guess I should have clarified that the picture is purely representational. I saw it on a gardening forum. I do use a similar scheme to dispose off my fruit but that isn't my fence and those aren't my apples. :D I have peaches, plums, lemons, oranges and pomegranates in my yard. Apple pie for the homeless is a novel idea. Never thought of baking with fruit for donating to the homeless. Thanks for the idea. I will definitely explore the option. It so happens that I'm already baking and gifting breads and cakes to my close friends thanks to my new found hobby. Wonder how soon before they declare they are on a Paleo diet. :lol:

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Gauri03

You are a brave woman. If I watch horror by myself I start getting ideas about every dark corner and shadow in the house. Then for a few days I do things like switch off the kitchen light and run to the bedroom without looking back, before whatever is behind me in the dark catches up with me. :eek:

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Gauri03

Been meaning to share this with you but it keeps slipping my mind. Here's an oldie but a goodie which I hope the budding young physicist will appreciate.

How to Study Physics – Physics & Astronomy

It was written for physics undergrads but it should benefit determined high-schoolers as well. We learn without ever being taught how to learn. This guide should be required reading for students entering high school and college. I've handed this out to many an undergrad and even some grad students. It's a great study guide for not just physics but any math, engineering or science related class.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Laks09 likes this.
  9. Viswamitra

@Gauri03

Oops! Too late! I have already posted a snippet mentioning you discard apples through your fence. Forgive me.

Viswa

10. kaniths

kaniths IL Hall of Fame

IMG_20181015_152115~01.jpg

Like to share a 'Grudge' cuppa with me? :lol:

Damnnn! :shakehead:

Lol. Yet I have a long list of horror movie favorites. More than the originals, I enjoy the spoof flicks. Lot fun!

After the last heavy 'Ghoul' horror drama I picked up a light watch. Children's anthropology series - Creeped Out. Has mixed themes: horror, sci-fi (time traveling, teleporting, techno, alien!), mystery, magic, fantasy etc... with subtle morals (for kids, of course)! :tongueclosed: Liked few episodes. Cat food, Troll, Red, Shed were good and, the two-part finale was interesting. It's October. I love stories. And... It's British! :grin:
    I will watch anything but Zombies. Strictly a No-No! Past movie experiences have such 'lasting effects' on me that I often dream frantically running for life, while the zombies creep out in slow motion on all sides. I wake up panicky panicky! Lol. No thanks! :sweatsmile:

Somewhere on the internet came across this question exploring food and culture topic... If "What You Eat Makes What You Are", what about the case of zombies? :smile: To think... Live humans eat dead meat and dead zombies, the live humans! :anguished: #Meta-boggling!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018