1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friends Who Pick You Up, Who Listen

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Rihana, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

"Friends pick us up when we fall down, and if they can't pick us up, they lie down and listen for a while." ~ Author Unknown

I had this in my profile post, and comments started to become a discussion. Hence a thread.

I really liked this quote. The second part made me smile. Indeed, when they can't pick you up, friends join you, lie down and listen for a while.

Do you have friends like the ones described in the quote? Are you that kind of friend to someone? To many?

blessings1010, momsky, jskls and 4 others like this.

2. Rihana

I am blessed to have such friends, and hope to "stay blessed". : )

These are friends who make the time for me when I need it.. literally make the time.. in their busy day, and give me an 'appointment' too if needed. Appointment as in time when I have their undivided attention by chat or phone.

It is actually not so hard to have such friends in our lives. Takes some intuition and whatever to recognize them among people we know, and to cultivate the friendship a bit. Key being to exercise moderation. Don't become too much of soulmates. Don't live in each other's pockets.

sindmani, SGBV, Sandycandy and 5 others like this.
  3. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Iam not fortunate enough to have such friends even though I want to be like one u have mentioned. Getting a good friend is really tough in life with a selfless mind. Somehow other I have seen ppl showing either selfishness or jealousy based on how we live. True friend is a fruitful gift by god which not everyone can get.

Rihana likes this.
  4. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

I had a friend who was really good with me when we both had problems in life. But when my life started becoming better, I could see her behavior for the first time which was very inconvenient for me. So I stopped believing anybody and thought being alone is the best option.

sindmani, blissofmylife and Rihana like this.
  5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana
    Stories like Damon and Pythias may be found only in Greek History of yore but in the modern times, the male of the species are unlike the female. True and binding friendship may be possible among women but not among men. Men keep looking for opportunities for betterment and if it requires stabbing of a couple of friends, they will not hesitate to do it. I am sorry for being brutally frank. I have been in the receiving end of the vile games of opportunists. Empathy is essentially a feminine virtue.

6. Rihana

Hmmm... Friendships do "thrive" when both have similar problems. And can wilt when one's life starts becoming better. For the very reason that a major part of the bond was both having problems. The relationship changes, but no need to let it make you cynical about friendships. A good friendship does not necessarily have to last for ever. And, sometimes, friendships only need an "intermission". : ) And some event will take it back to what it used to be.

Sweety82 likes this.
  7. Rihana

A very interesting line of thought. I am still chewing over it... but have to say that when the stakes are high, women also will not hesitate to step over a few bodies to achieve what they want.

blissofmylife likes this.
  8. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

My friends point and laugh when I fall. :facepalm:

jskls, prestine, Rihana and 1 other person like this.
  9. silento

silento Silver IL'ite

@Rihana , In my experience, friends like the ones you described are hard to come by. We have had no such luck in the friendship department who would go the extra mile for us. Even though everything appears normal when we meet in person, but behind the scenes I feel that people are constantly competing, judging, trying to prove they are better etc and so it becomes hard to connect an open up.
    About 10 years ago, I had a neighbor with whom I had developed the sisterly bond, but then she had to move to another state and it is not the same anymore.

Rihana likes this.
  10. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I do! She doesn't walk in my shoes but she gets me. She has been there during the happy times, mostly lurking in the shadows. Now through some very tough times, she's been there. Has been the only one who has been there without exception. Thank God for people like her. She has taught me some important life lessons.
    It isn't necessary to experience something to empathize with another. You can read online, find resources and find a way to be there for a friend if you truly want to.

Everyone is a friend when things are going your way. Choose the one who isn't always there for the happy moments but will drop everything to hold you when you are down. (S)he is worth her weight in gold.

l have so many good friends but this one is the best.

There have been issues. Mostly in my head. I'm glad I counseled myself to not compare our sons(same age) and worked on my feelings for months. I'm glad I did. Had I distanced myself back then, I would have lost my very good support system.