1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friends Or Mobile Phones?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Ishita, May 30, 2016.

1. Ishita

Ishita Gold IL'ite

I do appreciate the fact that mobile devises are very useful and handy in this day and age but it seems we're all so hooked to these modern day assets that we are literally forgetting to make friends, start lively interesting conversations, share good and bad times. Long gone are the days when past times included having pals, going to the cinema together, or picnics, playing games, learning household activities, or visiting each other.

Some years ago when these electronic pleasures were not in full swing, it felt good to be walking to the local shops when passers by smiled and greeted you. Some even stopped to have short conversations. It was good to be waiting at bus stops and striking pleasant greetings/conversations. It was something special to be going out to lunch/dinner and having a chat. Sunday dinners were something to look forward to when most families sat around the table together and shared a hearty conversation. All this is now blown out of the window and has been replaced with the "cell phone, IPad, tablets etc" . You go on any public transport and almost every individual can be seen holding a cell phone with headphones/earplugs and totally unaware of the surroundings. Heads never lift up or away from the device. I've actually seed couples in restaurants where both are having a meal but their minds are totally devoted to the cell phones. Even indoors, children hardly speak to parents or siblings because they're so hooked to their modern day devices. I Went to Switzerland recently and was aghast when we were passing through heart warming mesmerising scenery but some co-travellers were playing games on their devices. Whilst on a beach resort last summer, most holiday makers on sun beds around me were not enjoying the beach, swimming or walking, taking part in on the beach activities or simply relaxing with their eyes closed, feeling the cool breeze touch their soul - they were, believe it or not, on their device continually. What a shame!

You just can't get away from them. Even in TV serials (Hindi), every character, especially women, young and old, are holding a cell phone, some have them tucked into their saris.

For God's sake when will you find time to spend with family and friends? Now I think I better get off my iPad, as otherwise I'll fall into the same category.

There is not much chance of cell phone companies reading this.....

VaniVyas, Poetlatha, Kamla and 12 others like this.

2. Ragini25

Ragini25 Platinum IL'ite

For the last couple of months, I have rarely posted at IL, and it is a conscious decision to get off iPad, mobile etc. We wonder about it, but the only way we can bring about change is DOING SOMETHING about it - namely log off the FB, IL, Whatsapp and other such "online time sinks" away from real life activities. Feels great to spend time offline in real world, vs online - so I am enjoying this decision I made.

3. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Ishita,

What a timely post. The last few days I have tried staying off IL and FB merely for this reason. It's addictive yes, makes you feel good but too much of it takes you away from the real world definitely. But all said and done it does not last very long also, after a while your back :) . I think it's important to gauge how much of time needs to be invested online.

How much I miss those days of growing up, when this was not in rampant. That life was something else only.

Itsmylife143 and Anusuya like this.
  4. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Social networking sites are very useful when there is an emergency, during natural calamities, or when you need some immediate help. The same can be said about Internet also- there are scores of you tube videos that teach right from music, yoga to cooking. But, yes, one should not be addicted to Internet or cellphones.
    As you have rightly pointed out even in public transport I see people with their ear phones on, and gone are the days when the younger generation used to vacate their seats for the sake of senior citizens or pregnant women.
    Even relatives do not like our visits during those times, their favorite serials are telecast.
    Once we get over this addiction, I hope we will get back to our good old times!

Agatha83

Anusuya likes this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

After a long time had the opportunity to put my mobile down for few days and had the pleasure of living in the real world. It's a wonderful feeling! Just like when vacation ends and we are back to our routine it doesn't last long! Anyway I hear you. If only we could communicate and live in the real world we don't need this mobile devices!

vaidehi71 likes this.
  6. Pickle

Pickle Silver IL'ite

I see the young generation around me being adamant about having costly, up to date smartphones on their first day of college, well aware that its too much to ask for in a middle class Indian family, when even a simple mobile is just enough to serve the purpose of keeping the family informed about their whereabouts or emergency situations. Their reasons? Social networking applications of course but what is networking if we cannot actually 'network' in person with peers in real world? I think it will fade away with age, age- technologically until something bigger comes and sweeps us all, age- when we age as human beings, when 'being bothered' bothers us and peace is all we care.

IniyaaSri and KashmirFlower like this.
  7. Itsmylife143

Itsmylife143 Platinum IL'ite

Quote : "God has created things to use and humans to love, but we are loving things and using humans" this quote suits justify your thread!!

KashmirFlower likes this.
  8. RatnaMalliswari

RatnaMalliswari Gold IL'ite

Hi Ishta
    I read your post and replies from other IL members, even I thought of sharing my views. I felt that anything addicted will trouble us,everything has good and bad,so we have to balance us in using it.I mean spending too much with Internet like FB,Whats up etc etc and talking and spending lot of time with friends will make certain complications, so it's better for us to know the limitations of all things in life,as everything will have its own importance, like example of IL makes us to know many things from so many friends just sitting at one place,like one of our friend said in her reply to your post that we can use social network for promoting any good thought and view and help each other in case any calamities.I feel usage of all things is in our hands.

Lathasv likes this.
  9. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Strange. Talk of coincidences. Was thinking of this very same topic a couple of days ago when replying to 'my time, my space'.

It is exasperating to have the phone ringing all the time. As if it is not enough that sales people, banks, telephone companies keep harassing people by making nuisance calls just when one wants to rest, relatives of domestic help also seem to think we are receptionists for them to call them to the phone every time they call. Not that they don't have mobiles. It is just that they don't want to charge the damn thing. They don't have balance to inform us when they are not coming, they don't have balance for us to call them for any emergency. Why do they have those fancy bits of plastic at all?

Every company, every courier insists on a phone number. They are unwilling to give you your consignment if you refuse to give a phone number.

Set your phone on silent, go off to sleep. Or simply allow the phone to remain uncharged - inadvertently of course. Someone tries to call. You fail to respond - you never got the call, the efficient phone company did not transmit the call to you or transmitted it to someone else who did not respond to an unknown number or you did not hear the phone ringing. See how many misunderstandings are created due to that measly piece of equipment?

So what is the solution? Don't have mobiles. Very tempting that. However, one cannot deny the fact that it is useful in case of an emergency. How reassuring it is to be able to communicate with a child who is late coming home or a spouse who is caught up in traffic or delayed at work. At least some degree of worry is avoided.

As for the internet, for all the bad rap it gets, there is a lot of useful stuff there and plenty of stuff which can be learnt. Give up internet? Sure I would not mind being off the internet on weekends. What do I do then? Everyone else is glued to the internet. I'd end up staring at the walls, pulling out my hair - one at a time and chewing the brains of whoever is in sight, if and when there is anyone in sight. So whatever the case, the internet is my life saver. Shan't say a word against it!

Kamla, shobhamma and Lathasv like this.
  10. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A nice post! Recently a friend of mine tried to find out how Facebook is so popular by applying the same model in real life to get more friends.
    Listen to his experience:
    Presently, I am trying to make friends outside of Facebook while applying the same principles. Therefore, every day I go down on the street and tell the passers-by what I have eaten, how I feel, what I have done the night before and what I will do tomorrow night. Then I give them pictures of my family, my dog and me gardening and spending time in my pool. I also listen to their conversations and I tell them I love them.

And it works. I already have 3 persons following me: 2 police officers and a psychiatrist!

This is the likely scenario in about a decade!
    [​IMG]

Kamla, KashmirFlower, Amica and 2 others like this.