1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Freedom from the correction facility

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

[JUSTIFY]It was time to say good bye to everyone I know. I wish I had more time to spend with each person I know but always things happen quickly in life. Some of you might think I was an extraordinary person while a few others might think that I was just another human being. The time spent already could not be retrieved and my actions had produced results that were good and bad. Irrespective of how everyone felt about me, as a mark of respect, everyone shared sweet words in appreciation of my life. I left to be with my founder.

Finally, the Day of Judgment came and there were several anxious people watching what was going to be the outcome. One person read the good and bad actions of mine. The judge reviewed all of it and finally gave His verdict. I felt it was a very unusual decision. I had to unlearn something I learned in my life and I had to learn something new that would make me a better person. For that I had to stay in a correction facility which in general would be a very small place. My development would be from the seed level to until I become a sapling capable of observing good values through my own experiences.

When the judgment was given, do I have a choice other than taking the punishment and go through it? My resolve not to go through that punishment was always restricted to the time I spent inside the cell and once I was released, I always started doing actions that would be subjected to judgment again. All my belongings were taken away from me and I remained inside the cell for the nine months period. When I was left alone, all I could think of was all my actions that resulted in my imprisonment and what I could have done differently to avoid such punishment. Barely there is space for me to move around inside the cell. It is solitary cell with no one to talk to and sometimes, there used to be more than one person in the cell.

Sometimes, I heard noises outside of my cell and I carefully watched what was going on outside the cell. I was on my own developing myself into a good human being and sometimes, I used to get external help from outside with people planting noble thoughts in my mind. I was served food multiple times as and when the guard protecting me got food. Many times, the judge who decided on my punishment decided to release me earlier even before my development was complete. Unfortunately, in situations like that I was kept in a safe place for further period until my growth was complete.

After the release, I was invariably showered with unconditional love from people around me but I always failed to feel the power of that love. Instead of learning to reciprocate that love to everyone around me, I decided to pursue my own passion, created a bundle of actions whether they are good or bad, did not discriminate the consequences of such actions and forgot the pain and suffering I underwent in the correction facility. I continued this cycle for years and years until I started reading some holy books that gave me idea of how to overcome the ordeal. Now I am seriously thinking to develop myself into a spiritual path and reduce the potential to go through the punishment multiple times.

Note: This is the story of Viswamitra who left his mortal coil number of times and was born again and again going through the pain of staying inside the womb evaluating all the sins he committed in many lives of his. He is now making a concerted effort to overcome this ordeal through introspection, spiritual development, mind and senses control and most importantly trying to know who he really is.
    [/JUSTIFY]

8 people like this.

2. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Viswa sir God fix a time for everyone to know who he really is and i think your time starts now.Mind and Senses control is a must for all human beings.very thought provoking post sir.

3 people like this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Viswa
    Please accept my pranams for having come out with such a profound study of a spiritual journey of generations. The point that I like most in this essay is your emphasis on ‘unlearning something that we learned through our present journey through life’. What we need to learn is not half as important as what we need to unlearn. To be more precise, it is the process of getting rid of our preconceived notions that is the very purpose of our unlearning process. The sins that we commit and the wrongs that we do are all a fall out of our false and preconceived notions.

Our spiritual evolution comes not as much from reading the scriptures as from tuning our consciousness to the deeper significance of what is happening around us. The story of Svetaketu in Chandogya Upanishad is very revealing in this context. Svetaketu’s father sends him to a Teacher when he was 12 years old. He stays with him for 12 years and masters all Vedas and Upanishads. He comes back to his father as a young man of 24 full of conceit in the belief that he is consummately well educated.

His father asks him ‘Svetaketu, I am happy you are so full of learning but have you asked your Teacher for that knowledge by which we hear the unhearable, by which we perceive what cannot be perceived and know what cannot be known?’

‘What is that knowledge Sir?’ asks Svetaketu.

‘Bring me a fruit of the nyagrodha tree’ his father beckons him. When he brings it, he asks him to break it and see what is inside. Svetaketu does as asked and answers that he sees some exceedingly small seeds. His father asks him to break one of the seeds and see what is inside. Svetaketu says that he sees nothing inside them.

His father then says ‘Son! That subtle essence which you do not perceive there, in that very essence stands the being of the huge nyagrodha tree. In that which is the subtle essence, all that exists has its self. That is the True, that is the Self, and thou, Svetaketu, art That’

The Liberation that we all seek from the possibility of imprisonment in the womb again and again cannot be achieved except by the clear perception of the identity of the individual spirit with the Universal Spirit. It can be achieved neither by physical training (yoga), nor by speculative philosophy (Sankhya) nor by the practice of religious ceremonies.

It is worthwhile to remember here the profound pronouncement of Kabir: ‘Behold but One in all things; it is the second that leads you astray’
    Sri

8 people like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Periamma,

Thank you for your first response. I will be cheating my friends here in IL, if I say I have conquered my mind and senses and that is why I said I am making an effort to do so. Sometimes, thoughts of this kind overflows like indigestion and I keep bringing it out. When I am overwhelmed with those thoughts, I feel like a baby with a wonderful toy not knowing what to do with it. Knowing them is trivial and learning to practice them to advance in the path of perceiving the truth is hard.

For now, I keep crying listening to the song, "Oru pitchai pathiram endhi vandhen, Aiyane Enn Aiyane". Because that song truly reflects my position.

Viswa

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Viswa
    I recall a story of Sage Narada where he meets 2 devotees of Lord Krishna with the news that one devotee will be able to meet the Lords feet soon while the other will meet after thousands of births. The reaction of the 2 devotees are different. The one going to meet the Lord soon laments on his waiting time and the other dances that its only a matter of thousands of births. ( I am recalling this story from memory so forgive me on errors).
    Anyway my point is I used to be very similar to your narration wondering and lamenting and so on. Till it has dawned on me maybe its just another thousands of births only! WOW!!! :wow
    Now I am able to truly live and enjoy each moment eager to lap up just a thousand births..
    Very interesting to read your thoughts and feelings on this topic. As always Cheeniya's replies are priceless gems. He is the only one I know who can truly add more value to an original writing. And the value he adds is crafted so beautifully he does not take anything away from the original but still adds an extra shine so it feels that the original now sits on a lovely pedestal.:)

5 people like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

Like what I said in my earlier response to Periamma, I keep getting those thoughts like indigestion and certainly, I don't understand the full significance of such thoughts. It looks like I have been seeking knowledge for the last few lives among the sins I had been committing. But what makes me feel happier is getting such wonderful responses from you showing me the direction and guiding me in the journey I make. As I mentioned earlier, my Guru once asked, "What do you want?" to one of the devotees and he replied, "I want peace". My guru smiled and said to him, "Remove "I" and "want" and the remaining one is "peace".

I couldn't agree more that reading spiritual scriptures does not make a person knowledgeable unless one puts them into practice and makes a concerted effort to find the essence of the Truth. Dr.Wayne Dyer said, "the energy called super consciousness is everywhere and reminds smaller than the smallest and larger than the largest. All we need to do is to tune our consciousness to the superhighway like tuning the radio to a frequency and we will begin feeling and experiencing the source that we could never comprehend or understand."

Sometimes, I feel using my mind to understand the power of Almighty or the Universal Absolute is like using a scale to measure the mount Everest. How can an invention understand the inventor? How can a man who was created by the Lord understand the Creator?

The One who is responsible for coordinating, molecules, city of cells, blood vessels, arteries, muscles, nerves, heart, intestine, lungs, lever, kidney, excreting organs, brain and all other party parts to function flawlessly for many years without any maintenance shut down, making them work together with each focusing on its own job instead of finding faults with other parts, and when one of the parts is malfunctioning, make the others try and help to make gain its original state, etc., is teaching us a lesson how to work together seamlessly with outside world. It is up to us to watch, experience and follow such profound lessons. It is our Words, Actions, Thoughts, Character & Heart (Compassion) together forms the word "WATCH".

My Guru said, "You are not the body, the mind, the intellect or the diminutive ego. You are the infinite Universal Absolute. You have to establish yourself firmly, unshakably, in this awareness; that is your destiny, your duty to yourself."

"Your reality is the Atma, which is a wave in the sea called Paramatma. The sole object of human existence is to visualize that reality and the relationship between the wave and the sea. All other activities are trivial; you share them with birds and beasts. But, this is the unique privilege of man. He has clambered through all the steps in the ladder of evolution in order to inherit this high destiny. If all the years between birth and death are frittered away in seeking food and shelter, comfort and pleasure as animals do, man is condemning himself to a further life-sentence".

How beautifully he quotes coming back again and again as "Life-sentence".

Lastly, I want to finish this long response with my favorite bhajan I sing and contemplate very often:

"I am God, I am God, I am no different from God,
    I am the Infinite Supreme, the One Reality
    I am Satchithanandha Swaroopa
    I am Om Tat Sat Om
    I am Love. I am Truth. I am Peace eternally.
    I am ever pure Delight. I am always full and free.
    Fear or grief can never touch me.
    I Am Om Tat Sat Om".

Viswa

3 people like this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear AC
    I feel truly humbled by your lavish praise.
    It shows your generosity. I wonder if I will be able to live up to this estimation of yours always
    Sri

1 person likes this.
  8. Viswamitra

Dear AC,

I don't mind 1,000 births as long as it is to, spend the time in praise of the Lord, understand that pleasure and pain come one after another, eliminate desires and attachments and to walk the path of truth, righteousness, love, peace and non-violence. If the time in this world is going to spend wisely, I have no issues with imprisonment. Janthunam Narajanma Dhurlabam meaning "It is very difficult to get the life of human". We struggled so hard to get to this level. I can't speak for others but I am not sure I am using it wisely.

Regarding, Cheeniya Sir, I could not agree more what you said about him. He is my manaseega Guru in IL. He is like mount Everest as far as his knowledge is concerned. I am like St.Thomas Mount in Parangimalai. But the beauty is, he encourages St.Thomas Mount to keep its head up by his lavish words.

Viswa

9. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Viswamitra,

I read snippet of yours many times , not once and tried to understand. I might have understood a little bit but not understand also. I am a novice in philosophy and do not know many mythological stories. But still I want to write a FB...there is some worth deep thinking in what you have written.

In the process of life...my concept of life is from birth to death. Next birth..I do not know if it exists or not. If it is there....it depends on what we do in this birth, so it is to some extent we can make an attempt to live this life meaningfully (what is meaningful is again debatable). Yes, we have to learn some things and unlearn some things or deeds that we have done.Unlearning is also a process of learning. Who guides us...of course we realise some things by ourselves.....but mainly scriptures, discourses and by our own thinking, yoga, meditation, trying to conquer senses (may not be successful all the time). Spirituality is a way of life. If we are able to do these things....even a few steps or even single step gives us bliss and we do not want to go back. One has not reached Mt. Everest in a single step.

This reminds me of a story by Anton Chenkov "The Bet". Wonderful story! On 4,5 pages. It is available on line. Try to read it if you want to. He is in a solitary confinement for 15 years....not due to any crime but due to a Bet....and what he learns during that period....it is amazing!!!!

Thank you for this wonderful snippet. There may be many flaws or discrepancies in my FB. Excuse them as flaws of a novice who is not very learned.

Syamala

3 people like this.
  10. Viswamitra

Dear Syamala,

Thank you for your wonderful response. Frankly, after reading some of your responses in the past, I have come to a firm conclusion that you are spiritually very advanced in your thinking. One need not be aware of many mythological stories but still very strong in their power of thinking about the right living and you are a perfect example of that.

I always carry an impression that we are responsible for our birth. Every time, when we get an opportunity to live our life, we should make best use of it. My Guru said, "man is born in this world to learn how never to be born again". We need to clearly understand our objective and construct a virtuous life. We have to dive deep inside to invoke our consciousness and its inherent qualities and let them dominate the vagaries of the senses and mind. Every such learning is considered invaluable assets that we could carry forward for many lives. We put ourselves into life sentence by our actions. We don't have to stay inside the womb of the mother worrying about the mistakes we committed in the past and sufferings we are going to undergo because of that. Instead, we can stay inside the womb of a mother, feeling good about our past actions and a holy time that we are going to spend in a new life, if we plan our life properly. Over a period of time, we could even avoid birth and become immortal.

You have asked the right questions and your line of thinking is flawless. My Guru taught me that it is questioning that leads us to enlightenment.

Viswa