1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fragrance Of Flowers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakshmiKMBhat, Apr 6, 2017.

1. LakshmiKMBhat

LakshmiKMBhat Gold IL'ite

The Champaka (Magnolia Champaca) tree in our neighbour’s garden is blooming once again. In our language, Kannada, we call the flower, sampige. Here, yellow flowers are more common than the off-white ones. They are beautiful and very fragrant. Some people find the smell a little too much to bear. But I like them. When I open the kitchen windows in the morning their fragrance adds a special warmth to everyday tasks.

We have been neighbours for more than ten years, and this young tree has been here for a much longer time. It reminds me of the two Champaka trees in the courtyard of a temple in a small village about two hours from our home. We came to know of this place many years ago and have loved going there. The temple is nestled in serene surroundings. The trees are giants, more than seven hundred years old. The chief priest of the temple told us that the two trees bear flowers all through the year.

Just imagine, seven hundred years old!! If they could talk they would have so much to tell us. Those trees bring home to us that we are here for a very brief while. The many who saw these trees as saplings are no longer in this world. They are gone. And those many generations who saw the trees grow slowly are also no more. We are now seeing them living their lives in those serene surroundings. We too will soon be gone. We are but ‘the ships that pass in the night’ in the life of our planet.

Nature gives us so much. It is really sad when people with wealth and power believe they own this planet. They think that it is theirs to destroy. Nature’s wealth and gifts are snuffed out without a second thought. What are we leaving behind for the future generations? Maybe people in every age have asked themselves this question.
    Thank God those old trees are in a place far away from the main roads and in a temple courtyard. They will never be cut down in the name of development.

“Nature’s special gifts,
    Beautiful, fragrant flowers
    Add beauty to Life.”
    Trees give life and so much more
    Is it right to destroy them?”

page-1.jpg

Doree, kkrish and lotuskirtana like this.

2. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

For the sake of future generation at least, we should stop cutting down the trees in the name of development, if not so, make sure to plant trees on the special occasions in your family.

LakshmiKMBhat likes this.
  3. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

@LakshmiKMBhat
    Dear Lakshmi,
    I love champa flowers and like the fragrance very much.
    The picture you have shared is very nice. Being a nature lover I like places with big shady trees. Some real estate promoters cut the trees mindlessly and even for broadening the roads trees are cut and it damages the environment.
    PS

4. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Wondrous flowers revealing the beauty of nature!Form August to December our small front yard is filled with the aroma of Parijata flowers with oramge stem and off-white body.We can do archana with handful of flowers.
    But do all flowers really spread fragrance?Not at all.

.Perched cross-legged on her wooden shelf-like stall, Shanthi eyes potential customers while her hands are in a hectic race to quickly string marigolds,jasmine, jathi and kadambam.She and her eldest son make at least 50 garlands a day -some cheap and some luxurious garlands for wedding receptions or popular netas.

Much before the sun rise ,they make a move to Koyampedu market to get flowers at the cheapest rate by auction.Sun or rain don't deter them from visiting the market.

She starts the preparations to sell her saffron-hued wares that will adorn a sacred idol, decorate a welcoming front door, grace a chief guest or garland the memory of a departed loved one.
    A mother of four, Shanthi has been the sole breadwinner of her family ever since her husband fell critically ill soon after the marriage.

While selling flowers may appear to be a rosy profession, the flower market is not gender-friendly in terms of sanitation or working facilities,Her hand smells fragrant while her hut is a mess with her husband's excretion smeared throughout.As she returns from her fragrant business, she has to keep her hands on the mess.

She has to grease the palm of a greedy policeman,answer to the terms of rowdy elements eyeing on her.Some pierce with their crooked glances from the opposite tea shop when she feeds her infant while sqatting on the floor.Sometimes her assessment of selling flowers during a pooja season falls flat and she has to keep bundles of flowers in the refrigerators of nearby customers very often incurring their displeasure. She is also concerned about countering the lean days - when Shanthi has to switch over to water melon, or cheap cool drinks business.

Except for regular temples, garland makers have no business in off seasons..
    As darkness sets in, prices fall, they have to sell off the perishable goods at the lowest price,than to dump it into garbage.

But it is ironic that the same flowers that add cheer and warmth in an upper class drawing room, only remind women like Shanthi that their lives haven't blossomed despite their handling beautiful buds and flowers. It is the fancy flower boutique owners with their high-end clients who are making the fast buck, not those turning out simple but auspicious garlands with their toil-worn hands.

When the flower vendor says that the flower costs Rs30 per muzham, we are forced to think that they are making a huge profit.Some pass a sarcastic remark" I am asking the price of flower and not that of gold or silver. But in reality, they spend their entire day time, mostly near a gutter, having no space to attend to nature's call-the nearby public toilets remaining totally unusable.

When we think of their pitiable state we don't have a mind to bargain.
    The only solace now is the cell phone in her hands, which she often uses while stringing flowers.Gossip is their only relaxation and break from her 24 hrs duty.It is only fragrant outside, but their life smells nasty.

Daily while leaving the shop, she hangs three sampangi garlands of cheaper variety outside her shop,that can be used to revere the poor dead from nearby slums.If it is not utilised, the garland would adorn the Krishna doll in her shop.
    "the garland may be utilised for my husband or me too -in the near future. She grins.My eyes get moistened.

I wonder whether their life is rosy ,though they handle baskets of roses?Do the flowers give any fragrance to their lives?

Jayasala 42

5. LakshmiKMBhat

If flowers have fragrance they definitely give out fragrance. Human problems are their problems so it is not correct to ask whether flowers give out fragrance. All of us have problems in life, the problems are different. At least Shanthi is making some living with those flowers. What would she have done if there had been no flowers? Regards, Lakshmi

6. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Flower vendors like Shanthi cannot enjoy any fragrance with those
    flowers which are a mere commodity to them.Their profession is so automatic and struggle filled that they don't have any mind to enjoy the fragrance ,which others do.
    Thanks Madam.
    Jayasala 42

7. LakshmiKMBhat

But we cannot really say for sure that they do not enjoy the fragrance of flowers. I have seen many labourers and women of low income keep jasmine flowers in their hair. They love it. Sometimes people with good income don't keep flowers. I feel we cannot say for sure about the feelings of others. It all depends on how people look at life. Regards, Lakshmi

8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshmi
    The Sthala Vrikshe of the ancient Rajagola Swami Temple in Mannargudi is Champaka Tree. It is between 1500 and 2000 years old. Champaka is quite popular in Tamil Nadu and many girls bear that name. My maternal uncle's wife was Chambakam.
    There is a lilting Tamil song sung by Asha Bhansle, the only one sung by her. Please hear it here:

Sri

LakshmiKMBhat and Doree like this.
  9. LakshmiKMBhat

Thank you for sharing the song and it was good to read about the old champaka tree.