1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Forgetfulness how to cope

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by LakNar, Jun 16, 2008.

1. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Dear All

Forgetfulness.. This has become the origin of some major problems for me these days.. Though I have got reminders thru mobiles, alarms etc etc still rattling around important receipts, bills, remitting dates, certificates, baby charts has become unavoidable..

Is it attributed to health issue as I have read in an article that after a delivery there occurs a little memory loss for the ladies and I guess thats true in my case too.

I get too tensed up or plan too much as I feel I may forget like obsessed with checking travel tickets in the handbag, counting on the documents and locker keys every weekend.. My husband never forgets as he happily never carries any of these to his head..

I felt I can get tips from the experts and can practice and ease out my Witsend..Help me get out of my frequent migraine buddies..

Luv
    Lakshmi

2. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

Hi Lakshmi:

Though I am no expert on tips, I am surely an expert in forgetfulness:) I write lists for everything - for groceries, things to do, etc. It helps me keep on top of things. Though occasionally, I forget to look at my lists or misplace them! But having written it down, it is like jotting it down in my memory.

I have also found that if I try to do too many things at a time, I invariably forget some. bonk Many a times I leave milk on the stove and rush off to see if my children are getting ready for school and you can imagine what happened to the milk! So I have learnt it the hard way to pay attention and do one thing at a time, really helps me focus and get the job well done! My opinion:)

While stepping out of the house, a mental check as to what I need while I am out helps me not forget my purse or mobile phone or my keys!

In one of the pranayama classes I went to, the teacher mentioned that you have to focus on what you are currently doing. For a simple example, if you are locking the door, don't think about being late for your appointment but focus on locking door. This helps, since you will not be worried about not having locked the door later!

But all said and done, there are still frustrating times though fewer:)

Hope some of this helps.

Sindhu

3. LakNar

LakNar Senior IL'ite

Hi Sindhu

Thanks a lot for those useful tip of making list. There are times where I have forgotten to take the key after I had latched the door..

Shall follow the tips given by other friends out here as well..

cheers
    Lakshmi

4. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi laknar,

no need to despair..all of us are a little forgetful..and it becomes worse with age...lakshmis suggestion of making a list is the best...but if u forget to take off the key after locking i suggest u do one thing at a time and not let the mind always think about what to do next...sorry i know this is easier said than done...u could also give clearcut duties to everyone in the house..that might ease u alittle from doing everything yourself....

Mindi

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Lakshsmi,

Welcome to Indus.Im sure u will love it here,the I lites are wonderful and cheerfulBig Laugh

See even i cant remember things in the head.So i keep a diary, and for eg today, i will write down what work i have to do in the diary ion that particular date.

My wife will write down inmy diary " BOOK GAS, or Pls get my clothes from the tailor etc.

Or if my Car insurance or LIC or Fixed Deposit is due say on 19th of December, i write on thepage of 19ths Dec that work, and also a week before that, so that i know that in a week's time i have to make that payment, or the Fixed deposit is due

So none of my work is ever pending, i know well in advance what i have to do.

Think it over.I keep the diary besides me with a pen orpencil throughtout the day, as people keep their mobiles with them.

Even for marriages we tned to forget on themarriage date that we have to attend.So wehn i receive a marriage card, i write down on tht date " X person's marriage, and the venue adress, and tear the card and throw away, as soon as the visitor leaves my premises.The cards get lost, and in marriage season we receive so many of them.All are noted down immediatley, so no tension, and i know tomm or day after i have to attend the wedding, and i have my best clothes washed and ironed and ready, with the envelloppe ready.So no tension at all.

See if it works for u.It sure does for me.

Regards.kamal

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi,
    I am not going to say anything new....make a list or note down points then and there...
    be focused on what you do...be tensionless...have a place for everything....if you change that place, please make a note of it...

sriniketan

7. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Hi,

No worries, it is quite common among most of the people, though i dont have any particular tips, i would recommend you to be patient and tension free. Because stress or over involvement leads to confusion. Keep your mind relaxed, think twice and proceed. have a nice day.

8. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

Dear all I’Lites Members,

After reading this thread I thought of attaching a simple file (Visual) to remember to do things before you leave the House. Please print and paste it in your front door (preferably color print in A3 paper size)

This will avoid any hazardous situation at Home. This is created by me for my daughter. You can add more according to your living situations.

Thanks
    Vinoran

Attached Files: