1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

For the parents who are sweating over potty training

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by loonypooh, Dec 19, 2011.

1. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

I was one of you!
    I just wanted to sharemy views with the parents who are in the same shoes that i was.I just wanted to tell the parents out there, to stop worrying and trying to "train" your toddler to potty train- coz they get trained when it is the right time. I now feel i shouldnt have even bothered to try and train my 1.5 yr old toddler , it was frustrating for both me and her- thats when i realised that it was not the right time, and she would someday train herself.
    I used to read threads on various forums /books about how to potty train my child. My constant efforts were always in vain and we ended up having a rather struggle time everyday, and i decided to just let her be for a few months. When she was around 21 months, i started visiting the loo with her. I would tell her do choo choo in the bathroom- she hated the sight of the potty seat. And she wld stand and do it.This continued for 1 month-she still would poop-only in her pullups/panties. NOTE- we gave up daytime diapering at 1.5 yrs altogether-except for a diaper at naptime.
    after a month, she would ask her to take her to poop in the bathroom- cause she knew doing it in the panty was "chee chee" . She still hated the sight of the potty seat, and she would do it standing in the bathroom, it was a mess to clean but we kept encouraging her that she is doing a great job and she is such a good girl!
    at 22 months we chucked the naptime diaper- and would show her a lot of vids of kids happily sitting on the potty seat and pooping, she one day asked for her pink potty seat. and said baby choo choo - the only task was to make her sit on the seat for those 10 mins . So DH would sit next to her and read her story books- picture books...... Now at 23 months- she goes to the bathroom, takes her potty seat, asks for a book and sits and happily finishes the business :rotfl

Now i am wondering what was all the worrying that i did few months back!- but as DH says - Its a mommy right to be worrisome-cant help!
    last 1 week, she gets really paranoid if i try put a diaper on her at night, and DOES NOT let me. we have been going dry all night for the last 5 days... i am thinking she might get herself night trained soon... She trained herself when she had to- so dont force or try too hard training your toddler- he/she will reach the milestone someday and you would be dumbstruck :bonk

7 people like this.

2. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

i agree 100% with you..my DD too learnt on her own..

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Poonam,

Good for Z and you!With Manu, we are already on the training mode,but she tells me after doing the business in the panties:bonk.But i keep encouraging her.We are in the diaper free day time phase now!

Your post is very encouraging!Hope M trains herself.

4. riefa

riefa Bronze IL'ite

hi..
    Thanks a lot for sharing.
    My DD is 8 months old now. Sometimes unintentionally i too 'force' her to do things as per how i want, such a small baby. Now will keep this in my mind.

5. vanna

vanna Gold IL'ite

Thanks for such a wonderful info....i too keep reading about "Potty training" alot since my baby is turning 2yrs in March 2012. As u said ...i too take her along with me for loo so that she should not panic later or should become accustom to something called bathroom...she is showing interest for the same...may be soon she`ll be diaper free.......thanks again!

6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Yeah..>Samepinch here Looney Pooh. I was too much worried abt Potty Training my Son. Nothing worked until one fine day he did it by himself.

7. AnanyaAjay

AnanyaAjay Silver IL'ite

I also agree. My DD also learnt on her own.. She was 1and 1/2 years old when she told me signs... Now she is 2 and1/2 and from when she was 2 yrs she started to sit on commode with assistance and now she only tells me to switch on the light of bathroom and exhaust fan (This is must for her- she tells 'mamma, it will smell' ;-) When she is done, calls me for assistance in cleaning.

We should not force kids for anything. we should show them how to do everything, they will learn themselves by seeing us. :)

8. Padmash

Padmash Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. My son is going to be 3yrs very soon but still bed wetting, this i am not able to handle. Rest day time time or when he is awake he will go to toilet and yes lights must be on sleeves must be folded up and somthing shuld be in hand tissue roll is the best thing to play with.

9. spandanar

spandanar New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing..My little one is 2 and 1/2 yrs old and she goes to bathroom for peeing but for potty she wants to do it in diapers.I have shown her potty training videos , but that has not worked so far. Every time she has to do potty she cries for diapers. Not sure how to handle this.

10. Sravanthi28

Sravanthi28 Silver IL'ite

Me too travelling in the same boat .. trying to train my son to use his new toilet seat. He informs me (sometimes)that he is about to poop but once i set it and make him sit there , he simply says its not coming :( somehow his body/mind are not set for it right now. i never showed him any potting training videos/pics ... may be i should make an attempt.