1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

food list for high sugar

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by wazap, Jan 13, 2012.

1. wazap

wazap Junior IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

My mom is 50years old and she is having high sugar.. she is having correct weight...she takes raw bitter guard and vendayam in emty stomach... when she goes to walking for 1 hr , then her sugar level comes under 200... but if she skips walking then her sugar levels goes up. now her sugar level is 300 and she got sugar in her urine also now.. i know its b'coz of me :( i came to india for delivery 6 months back and i have a 4 months old baby now... mine is c-section so my mom takes care of the kid in the night.. baby is not sleeping in the night properly. so my mom is also couldnt sleep properly and since my baby is super active , even in the day time someone needs to be handle her.. i'm taking care of the kid but still cant do it without mom's help due to my stomach pains.. now i need some kind of food list from you ladies... what kind of food my mom can have it from morning till night on daily basis... she is taking medicine prescribed by her Dr but still her sugar level before food is 180 and after food is 300.... plz help me by giving some kind of menu ..plzz i'm worried about my mom's health... i will go back to my place in 1 month so before that i wanna give her some food list to follow...

2. tinku

tinku Silver IL'ite

Hi there,
    Here is a sample diabetic food list that your mom can try.

I read in many books that brown rice is very good for sugar control. It can be used by any normal person too. The others include
    Oat meal with very little or no milk
    Green tea with karupatti (tamil)
    salads
    Barley and Jowar recipes like dosa/idli/upma
    Vegetable soups with cabbage and other preferred veggies.
    Dhal
    poha
    Yam
    plantain

Of course she must still continue her one hr walking. And as usual ask her to include bitter guard and vendhayam.

Shops sell Diabetic atta and a diabetic patient can make use of it.
    And the American diabetic society says that eating sweet potato (with red coloured skin) is very good for diabetics.

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

wazap, Welcome to IL Health Forum. Congratulations! Baby not sleeping in night? [​IMG] yes it will be little tough then. Excellent - that your mother is maintaining her body weight. Bitter gourd, raddish and Jamun Fruit are very good for controlling sugar level.

Diet & exercise plays a major role in controlling diabetes. Choose low glycemic index food & make a list for your mother. sharing the information that I have come across on low / medicum GI food chart.

Brown rice, Barley, Whole Wheat, Bran cereals, oats, chickpeas, green gram, moong dal, toor dal, Urad, carrot, cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, ginger, spinach, Brinjal, cucumber, Raddish, Beans, apples, pears, oranger, Jamun (Excellent for diabetes), guava, skimmed milk, broccoli, Rajma.

Add some amount of protein in her food. I have heard that adding little lemon juice to food by some as advised by dieticians (don't know the scientific reason behind it) is good.

See to that she has more of protein, two types of vegetable dishes and less of complex carbohydrate item. splitting the meal to different times will also help the blood sugar level after meal. Can avoid fruit bowls in night as there will not be much activity in night. Tell her to avoid eating pulaos, biriyanis and fried foods.

walking and climbing stairs are good exercises provided she is able to climb. she can indulge herself in small activities at home [now she has her grandchild so i think the little angel will slowly giving her some workouts ;-) ]

You can consult a dietician who can help you more on proper planning of food for your mother.

4. wazap

wazap Junior IL'ite

Thanks for your replies... i will try to make a menu card for my mom :)
    oh ya , my baby is super active and infact my mom reduced lots of weight due to my baby.... tat means my mom is going under weight soon.. that much my baby is troubling her.
    my mom does all house hold activities without anyone's help... she claimbs stairs daily. she do lots n lots of activities at home.... infact she is not taking rest at al due my baby..... hope i wil make some list for her soon.. wil share it with u guys for some more tips :)

5. wazap

wazap Junior IL'ite

btw, today i gave her these-
    morning - tea n wheat bread
    breakfast- oats n upma
    mid snak- 2 chapati
    lunch- small portion rice with bindi masala n curd
    evening snak-tea n green gram salad
    dinner-veg soup n 2 onion chapati

6. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Good nutritious menu. Underweight is also bad for health. Glad that you are taking care of your mother's health. Best wishes.

7. wazap

wazap Junior IL'ite

Thank you mimur9.
    Can my mom take eggs , milk with horlicks ? she is so tired in mid afternoon. I told her to take lime juice but stil i wanna know whether she can take eggs(boiled/omlet), milk(for her leg pain)....
    if she takes 2 chapati she gets so tired :( infact she gets hungry in the mid night due to this.. i feel bad when she suffer like this .... she usualy takes small portion of rice with buttermilk in the night. but now she stopped it to reduce the sugar.... hm told her to take atleast buttermilk a glass. is it ok to?

8. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi wazap,

A dietician will be able to help you accurately in your query after referring to the present sugar level of your mother :)

9. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hi wazup,

Good to know that u r really taking care of yr mother. Hv u checked yr mother's sugar levels after this change in diet ? A level of 180/300 after meds is quite high.

My mother is a diabetic n used to complain of the same symptoms [leg pain, hunger n weight loss] When a person is diabetic, the body is not producing enough insulin to break down the sugars in their diet. This leads to high sugar levels. Also the patient begins to lose weight bcoz the body starts utilizing the body fat rather than burn the sugars for energy. Since the burning of fat does not produce optimum energy, the patient feels tired. The leg pain is due the high sugar levels affecting the nerves [as told by our doc]. My mother was put on insulin n these symptoms were reduced to a large extent. Today after 5 years of being on insulin, she no longer requires it and is back to her oral meds for sugar control.

If yr mother's sugar levels have come down with the diet, then u dont hv to worry much as the diet is helping her. But if not, then I think u need to visit yr doctor. My mother kept postponing taking insulin injections and had to suffer other health conditions like cataract n heart problems.

love,
    kylie