1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flow State

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Feb 13, 2019.

1. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

My dearest Viswa uncle,
    As soon as I saw the title, 'flow state', my mind went from fluid dynamics to Darcy's equation and ended at the diffusion equation. OMG, I literally pull myself together to stop my thoughts and to absorb your article.

I always feel that I am in the zone when I dance when I study and when I play with my kids. But rest of the time I have a fusion of thoughts. In order to clear and sort the thoughts I have started writing down things in order for how I want the day to progress and it helps me a lot.

Wow, this makes me a little scare that to know how many millions of impressions we must have created so far. It really reinstates the value of being in harmony with mind, body, and soul.

Superb article and uncle and thank you.

Love,
    Vani

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

My Dearest Vani,

I don't know anything about Fluid Dynamics or Darcy's or Diffusion Equation. Half of what Prashanth tells me goes above my head.

I know you enjoy dancing, studying and playing with the kids very much. I have learned about them from all your posts. It is a great idea to prioritize thoughts and one way to prioritize is to write them down.

"Yad bhavam Tad bhavathi" is the saying and it means "As your think, so you become". Frankly, every thought creates deep encryption in the mind if we energize them. That is why the habits build character. If we sync our thoughts, words and deeds and energize only good thoughts, the life would become a flow. :)

Thank you for your kind words of appreciation.

Love,

Viswa

Thyagarajan and girvani like this.
  3. Afresh

Afresh Gold IL'ite

Sir,
    This is a brilliant piece; I have to admit i haven't been able to take in the contents in completely, because of the fusion mind at work currently, ( one needs to get in the zone and immerse to get the takeaway).
    Physical exercise like hiking, forces the body to get to the point of complete submission to the tunnel vision of only concentrating on the task at hand.
    I have noticed, personally, that when i trek , i start off getting tired in the beginning and then after a certain rhythm and momentum is built, my body starts tapping into the strength reserves that i wouldn't be ordinarily aware of and get into that zone, maybe more of a meditative state which releases positivity thereafter.
    I need to read the article again to really get the juice of it.
    Thanks for the wonderful write up

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Viswamitra

@Afresh,

Welcome to IL. I noticed that this is your first response to my snippet and thank you for taking the time to read and respond to my snippet. Many sport personnel and hikers have experienced the flow. I have shared a video here in this snippet of a composer experiencing flow while composing music. The professor in this video explains at what stage of the cycle flow occurs. It is interesting that you have mentioned about getting into flow to understand the takeaway. I have experienced it whenever I read interesting books where my mind is completely engrossed. As I finish each chapter, I used to get the essence of takeaway. That is intense reading and happens only when one is in a flow.

Please share as many thoughts as you could in this snippet and I assure you that I would respond to each one of them. Unawareness of elapse of time, slow motion view, seeing only the object of focus (tunnel vision), unexplained energy flow, losing body consciousness (surrendering to the processes of the activity), etc. are some of the flow experiences.

Viswa

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    Afresh and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

Nice explanation of a soul. Mind , intellect and impressions are three faculty of a soul. When these faculties work hormoniously and in righteous way , we can feel ecstacy .

Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  6. Viswamitra

@ratan,

The ecstasy one feels when the senses, body, mind and intellect get absorbed into the processes of an activity unified into one single entity and a meditative state, one can avoid any impression created by such an action.

Thyagarajan and ratan like this.
  7. ratan

ratan Gold IL'ite

I agree. Can we call that one single entity GOD or Almighty ??

Viswamitra and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Quite true indeed. Thatz why i recommend sudoku. My first in fact very first job is to solve sudoku.
    Thanks for more insights.
    Regards.

Gauri03 and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

Watching the shadow in pond of the dangling fish from a tree Arjuna aims his arrow and hit the real one tied to the tree branch is also an example. Trapeze players in circus must be experiencing this flow state well in the beginning of their practice. Magicians throwing several balls into space one by one and hold all of it could be an example. I wonder.
    Thanks and regards.

vidhyalakshmid and Viswamitra like this.
  10. Viswamitra

@ratan

If surrendering to the action performed can be considered as Godliness, we can call it with that name. The joy experienced during and after the flow state is immeasurable and hence at least that could be bless. It is difficult to say which state is bliss.

ratan and Thyagarajan like this.