1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Flies problem, storing fruits in US.

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Sujana123, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Sujana123

Sujana123 New IL'ite

Hi ,

My question might be little bit unbelievable for people living in US, but I have a problem that am really concerned about - flies. I live in US where the weather now is usually in 80-90s. The flies that we occassionally see on bananas - those are the ones am talking about. I store fruits like apples, watermelon , oranges, bananas outside mostly on the dining table. Am seeing that these flies have become so much in no. that whenever I go to the table I see a lot flying away at any movememnt. Am not sure how they have come in, but they are still there. I tried lighting Agarbathi so they could go away from that strong aroma, but no use. I have tried keeping bananas closed in a ziploc, but they still lie on the apples and oranges. I am not sure if we can keep all these fruits in the fridge always, might might take away almos half of fridge space. With veg.s taking other space, I may not have any place to store dishes. I want to know how you all manage to store these and if any of you had this problem of flies.

There was once a occassion where my son threw away watermelon on the floor and I noticed it only after 2 days and by then it was all dirty there, Icleaned it up but not sure thats when these flies started. Now it is a big problem for me that even if I put any dish to be washed in sink, I notice the flies landing there in few minutes. Having young kids am really worried about it. It is hard to keep all dishes clean immediately, it takes time even to unload a dishwasher with kids around.... Also I never had this problem until recently, though am living in same home for 5 plus years.
    Any help in getting rid of the flies would really help me. Thank you so much.

2. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sujana,

Even i have started seeing these flies.. It is mainly because of the bananas and there is no way to stop them. Because they are so tiny and we cannot spray any chemicals as they are always on top of food. They are even on top of my counter tops even if i wipe them with disinfectant wipes..
    I think the only way to stop them or reduce them is to buy less fruits at a time.. and do not let them sit for long. You can finish it in a day or two (If you have a grocery store nearby!!)
    I know these flies are so annoying and get on our nerves.. Am not sure if they are harmful..

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Everyone gets fruit flies in the summer but its pretty much guaranteed that they are really heavy on fruit that is overripe and going to rot. Bananas ripen quicker if you put them in a closed bag or with very ripe bananas so try and keep the fresh ones separate. Apples should always be stored in the fridge for best quality. If your fruit is sticky when you bring it home I suggest washing it. As far as I know, fruit flies are harmless but if you are a winemaker, they are the culprits for ruining wine.

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Sujana,

it is a common problem in summers. YOu can ofcourse keep your fruit covered using a mesh (ex..Fruit Covers-Large Photo & Picture) you get them for 2-3$ everywhere - walmart, walrgreens etc.

But this worked well for me to get rid of fruit flies - I used the bowl trap with apple juice and let it sit for 2-3days :)

Make a bowl trap:
    Put a piece of old skinless fruit and some wine, or some balsamic in a bowl (think like the flies: what do you want for dinner?).
    Cover the bowl tightly (no wrinkles) with plastic wrap.
    Poke many small holes in the plastic with a fork. The fruit flies go in and can't get out (if the holes are too big they will fly back out).

Make a plastic zip lock bag trap:

Place a few slices of an apple inside a zip lock bag.
    Leave an inch open to allow pests to enter. The little pests will soon be on and surrounding the apple.
    Zip the bag closed and crush each one with your fingertips.

More detailed information at How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies - wikiHow - this is where I got the above info and used.

Hope it helps.