1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fleeing Out..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by CoolPie, Jun 12, 2018.

1. CoolPie

CoolPie Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs,
    Here is the story of a neighbour on flight who sat next to my cousin. Need some inputs.

My cousin lives in Australia and when she boarded from Singapore to Australia there was this lady who must be in her mid fifties chatting with her. After a long time the lady opened up and poured her woes.
    This lady and her husband got their daughter married to an Indian guy settled in Australia. The lady and her husband were vexed with relatives, neighbours and friends due to their treatments at various points of time and finally they decided to settle in Australia with their daughter. She says there is no need to return to India at any point of time and she also doesnt want her daughter to mingle with their relatives again and that this would save her from more heart-aches. Actually the so-called relatives dont care about them too. Her son-in-law is the only son of his parents and his parents are living in Australia in a seperate house.

The newly married couple stays in a seperate house as well as the guys parents and the girls parents too. But all in three seperate houses within a few miles. The lady says she could help her daughter in future to raise her kids and also help her whenever possible. In india, the lady doesnt have parents and she has a sibling who is not cordial with her.
    Also the lady's husband has a brother who is settled abroad since a few decades with his family. There is not much warmness in that relationship too. She says their cousins families are also not so cordial and sometimes doing things like as if a tit for tat.
    She says if ever she is going to visit India, it would be a spiritual trip. And not for the sake of anything else. They have disposed all their properties in India and have a good amount with them with which they can buy a house in Australia and also lead a decent life till the end without working or depending on their daughter. They will get PR in a few years too.

She also adds that her grandchildren will be raised in Australia and there would not be much contact with Indian relatives for the kids even if they were visiting India once in a few years (which is not going to happen according to her.). The kids will better know the culture of Australia than that of India.
    She says in case of any event/functions that they are going to conduct in Australia, she would invite only a few friends or do it in a simple manner with only the guys and the girls parents there. Also the guys family also has none except for a very few friends in Australia. The guys parents too acknowledge the same it seems.

Do you think it is easy to lead a life like this ? I mean cutting off all ties with all relatives and friends in India for an Indian born (and raised) ? I hope atleast a few might be living like this.

It is true that those NRI born and raised Indian kids wouldnt be having much to do anything in India except visit their family and friends here. And that too we dont know for how long.
    I have heard a few people saying they dont have anyone. But I dont understand how her family ll live a satisfied life in solitude.

Though really not bothered, I was not much surprised at the lady's thoughts though we too sometimes feel bad with anyone anywhere in the world.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  2. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

Hi,
    I know many people who are leading their lives like that. Some bitterness in relationships can be so bad that it makes/forces people to harden or emotionally disconnect. Especially when everyone is leading independent lives with zero dependency, it is easy to stay away and aloof. At an younger age all are emotionally connected to their siblings, especially when parents are alive. But even if one sibling is vicious or very selfish, it doesn't take time to break relationships. When one is separated by physical distance, all the parties involved must actively stay in touch maintaining a good communication. Often, people sacrifice relationships in pursuit of careers and money. This also alienates people. Sense of competition/ comparison is another relationship breaker.

I know many who were born and brought up abroad. They don't identify with India or their desi relatives. Amongst them also, those who married foreigners don't feel the need anytime to even visit India and those that marry Indians from other states and languages there, also lose connection with their origins as English and general cuisine becomes their main stay. Connections with their roots gets weaker with successive generations.

So I guess, alienation and isolation are all a part of bad relationship management. Very emotional people suffer a lot and those lucky others carry on normally.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Greenbay, shravs3 and sindmani like this.