1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Flashback!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by polymorphic, Oct 8, 2011.

1. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Have you ever wondered why most of us dream about our childhood even when we are in adulthood? I have recently started dreaming of my parents house which we sold some 20 years back. ...whooo 20 yrs... long time ago

Almost every other night I dream of the house I left when I was barely 10 or 12.
    I have read that dreams have meanings but I am not sure why I would dream of something so much in the past. I have been tempted to go and see the place for so many years..it was a house my dad had planned and built, my mom made it a real home doing everything with her own hands, cleaning, gardening,etc.But though my parents and my elder sibling went to check the house and the street I did not want to ...only because I did not want to spoil the beautiful image I had in my mind. The memories were something special I did not want to spoil it with my practical "adult eyes" :) I dont regret my decision :) So the place is still special to me as I had seen it with my 10 yr old eyes. It brings back so many memories of my childhood particulaly in summer:

I cant forget the wonderful memories associated with it..the big "divi-divi"(dont know its real name) tree in the front path with its fragrant flowers, the big terrace where I used to spend the nights walking with my dad under the moon and stars wondering about "aliens" and the life beyond (yes, at that time it was a novel concept)....my dad was a patient listener listening to all my stories and answering my questions to the best of his knowledge.. our pet dog "jimmy" (yes all dogs had the same name then :)... , my wonderful childhood friends, the sleepover and the wonderful time we used to have in the blistering chennai summer heat :) Heat was never an issue:)... I used to set out to play after an early lunch in may afternoons so that I can have a long evening of play :)) I feel I was blessed to have parents who would allow little children to drop-in at lunch and dinner time...
    In summer, my mom would ask me to feed the thirsty cows some water and I used to like to stroke the cows when they had the water..Also, I was the offiial 10 yr old teacher of our maid's 5 yr old son :)) .... i remember i would miss my fav doordarshan programmes just to be the teacher:) All in all, I had a good and healthy childhood.... I thank my parents for that. No one can take these memories away from me..

Now I think I know why I keep dreaming about this place...it is like heaven to me...a place with no flaws... wish I could just rewind my life and be an 8 yr old and relive those times....

PS: The owners of this wonderful place have not cut the overgrown divi-divi tree :) ..my parents updated me.. I was thankful to God and them for that :)

21 people like this.

2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear poly (morphic):

This is one of the best pieces I have read in IL.

1. I enjoyed reading you because of your careful use of language. I believe in writing carefully and commiting as few mistakes as possible. Sometimes they are unavoidable I know, but the less the number of mistakes, the better the quality of writing. At least, that is my opinion.

2. I enjoyed the content of your post as well. You wrote convincingly about what you loved as a child and where you wish to return once again if a chance presents itself. I could actually visualize the child -- in the garden strolling with her father and wandering about aliens, stroking the cow as it drank, being teacher at the cost of doordarshan programmes. Everything was so appropriately described, that one could ask for little more.

3. To some extent, I think all of us wish to return back to the past, sometimes our childhood, sometimes our college days, sometimes (when people are as old as I am for example) our middle age and so on. But the reasons why we want to return could be different. For you, the reason is simply charming. But there are others who wish to go back to a point of time to undo the ills they had committed in a rage or influenced by unreasonable passion. This latter category of persons suffer when they think about their past. I think this is what can be described as living in a hell. On the other hand, as you have correctly observed, when the past is beautiful, your present resembles a heaven. Whenever you ruminate over the past, you experience a heavenly pleasure. I think you are a lucky human being. Not many are as lucky as you.

4. This was a wonderful post and I think I shall nominate it rightaway.

Love.

oj-da

7 people like this.
  3. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Very beautiful writeup polymorphic... i can visualize every scene you said... quoting your childhood as flawless and thanking your parents for that is so sweet...

There was this one home were we lived for 5 years will always remain as sweet home for me... it had everything we need as kids...after we moved from there our neighbor took over it..and i felt the same way.. if i had chance i dont want to see the changes happened to that ever sweet home in my memory. There was a neem tree in the front yard . my dad made a swing for us...
    I used to read sitting in that swing, eat dinner... As soon as i came back from the school i will run to that swing... After we moved out the neighbors cut down the tree... i was so sad thinking we would have saved the tree if we were living there ..

Again wonderful piece of writeup. it took me back to my childhood days too... I second oj-da's feedback ... congratulations for the nomination...

Ilt

3 people like this.
  4. vidraghu

vidraghu Platinum IL'ite

Very beautiful narration polymorphic abt your childhood memories!! Njoyed ur writeup very much....

5. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Very nice write polymorphic.. Enjoyed your childhood days.. :)

6. polymorphic

Thanks oj-da for the first feedback and for the nomination. This is like winning the critics award :) I think I could have written it better if I was more articulate and expressive. I feel I could convey only 60% of how much I hold those memories dearly. There are much more but too many events may bore ppl I thought.
    Yes, I am lucky to have such liberal and loving parents :) I just hope that my kid also cherishes her childhood when she grows up. I hope she has more memories than just school and studies. Its my job to see that it happens :)
    I will soon write about my vacations in childhood in my hometown... a sleepy village in south india :)

7. polymorphic

Thanks ILoveTulipz for your fb and sharing your experience. Yes, I agree it is sad when you see something so precious getting destroyed due to carelessness :(... I am glad I could bring back fond memories of your childhood.

8. polymorphic

Thanks sabari and vidraghu

9. Riyakathir

Riyakathir Platinum IL'ite

dear polymorphic...

what a wonderfull write up

it brought a smile in my face.... and i was tasting chocolates this early morning.... while reading the posts here...
    i promise..

your post is really sweet then this chocolates....

nice one dear... it took me to the place where i was playing..

How true...

I remember each and every house where all my childhood plays were.... :)

we should really thank our sensory folds of our brain.. for its long time regain.. :D

10. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Polymorphic,

I am really grateful for OJ-da for having nominated this post and for having brought it to the notice of all. I don't want to use the word "beautiful" to describe it, simply because that is a highly overused word and sounds very cliche. For the lack of a better word to describe your memoir, I shall simply refrain from doing so, and just say I enjoyed this trip down memory lane. They are memories of gentler times, of a more leisurely pace of life and simple joys. If you are interested, I have written a few blogs under the tag "memoirs" in IL blog section. Do read them if you get the time.

1 person likes this.