Fitting it into your life...Work-Life Balance Contest - July 2010

Discussion in 'Topic of the Month - Contest' started by IL_Admin, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laxmira

laxmira New IL'ite

Hello to everybody,

Timesaving can be done for the day by planning a week ahead, Ironing out week's clothes, [uniforms & husband's office wears & keep it in rack, handkerchief include] Clean & , sweep & scrub in saturday noon & clean kitchen racks make a list for the provisions, vegs for week ahead]
    Balance your 5 elements by tapping the corr fingers & deep breath & up by 4 next morning cook & clean b'fore 8, wash curtain ,drape, bedsheet all on Washing machine. You can sew or make things, read out to children, Go for an outing in after noon. or self massage routine for either you /husband a home spa, retire early.

Cut veg /while helping children homework/seeing fav tv show.
    Plan food menu week ahead
    Shop economiucally with seasonal veg/enough infibre& all proteins, fibre/vitamins
    Exercise half an hour stretching
    fast on juice once in week
    Have Atta Rotis , in evening.
    Pray for 5min both bfore retiring & on rise
    Meditate at early morning, affirming the confident you,
    Keep yourself trim, & hip, bounce on floor, stretch & reduce tummy , do gyration with hip for that extra life
    Drink hotwater mixed with lemon & hone y first thing morning to get rid of toxins
    Wash Veg in tamarind water to wash off toxins
    constantly affirm we gonna change this world a better place, go with this attitude to work, & work passionately
    Don't deny any charity, volunteer work
    Giving off to poor unwanted things, clothes, books, old electronic gadgets
    Learn new skills , and read in leisure time
    Be god with U
    -Regards
    LAxmi

2. radhas55

radhas55 New IL'ite

Women have been multi taskers always though less rewarded since time immemorial. The ability to balance work and life is a capacity, lesser appreciated but vital in forming the foundation of any family.
    Some aspects which are vital in striking this balance are as follows:
    1. Learning to enjoy what we do- finding pleasures in small things we do every day.
    2. Never leaving our hobbies - which may be listening to music, reading books,cooking any thing. They act as stress relievers and make us forget the stress in amazingly short duration.
    3. Learning to forgive - Learning to forgive things which have goneby make us feel light inside and happy always.
    4. Avoiding Procrastination- Avoid procrastinating jobs in any place, this leads to piling up of jobs and cause tensions.
    5. If possible cooking for a day would be helpful , else, if you prefer cooking each time then cutting vegetables in the weekend would finish 50% of the job for the next morning; this can be done while watching television or listening to music in the evening.
    6. Keep it mandatory to take a walk with your spouse everyday after or in the morning , this would enable each of you to share your experiences of the day hence avoiding hiding any thing from them. This would enable you to be emotionally strong forever.
    7. Dividing jobs for different parts of the week would keep us free for the weekend and would enable us to enjoy our weekends with our family.
    8. If it has been a tough day in office and it becomes late in the office then finish the dinner with khichdi- with all vegetables in the refrigerator. It would be an easy and a healthy option.
    9. Ironing clothes during weekend would be an easier option.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  3. girishy

girishy New IL'ite

hi everyone:thumbsup
    proud to be a woman and to have an online forum like this where we are able to express our views and ideas. I am a mother of two college going children and am able to balance both my work life and family very well mainly because of the encouragement by my family members. I feel this is one of the main secret behind many of the succesful women if not many atleast in my case i should say. I see to it that i never mix up my family and work life. For me PATIENCE was the golden rule. Most of my problems got solved just by handling the situations wisely with patience. And i also see to it that people dont take advantage of my patience. Make people around you understand about you and as much as possible avoid hating anyone and SMILE is the medicine for all problems. So with Patience,smile and keeping people around you happy and satisfied always atleast to the extent possible NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE for WOMEN

4. kappuvasu

kappuvasu New IL'ite

i am a business partner with my hubby and we have our own garment unit. i have two sons aged 15 and 8 . i solely dedicate myself to housework when at home and office management at my work place. i never compromise any of my priorities both as a business person and a home maker. inspite of all my busy work schedules, i prefer to be with my kids in the evening and bring them to my work place.

it all depends on how effectively u manage both office and home. i start my work at 5 in the morning and see my children off to school and set off to my work place and continue my tasks at my office, go back home by 8 . in between my schedules, i check out mails and reply to my dear ones and relax. keeping myself active and having an energetic mind is all my secret in balancing both work and life. my source of inspiration is my hubby and my parents who are a boosting power to me till today. i truely dedicate my success to them and more than that the wonderful kids given by God is a great boon to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. Decent_India

Decent_India New IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Its been challenging to a women to balance the personal life and professional work life. Specially in this competitive world to secure your job and balance the family life is always a pressure on women. In this battle its hard to judge the importance of life. Life is to enjoy for your self and give the enjoyment to others to live their life.Most of the working mom's forget what they want caz of lacking time..we work mon-fri morning till evening then look after kids,arrange for tomorrow..we are making it a routine by not spending time for our selfs. I think we should stop for a sec and think what is that i want, how should i spend time for my self by not disturbing the routine, then its easy to balance. If you are happy for your self with minor adjustments in life i think you are the queen of the world,if you are happy from in and out then only you can spread pure happiness in the family.Its not a rocket science to balance work and life,if we make it simple with good planning by not hurting our loved ones feelings

6. mydesigns

mydesigns New IL'ite

Hi Everybody,
    Giving up laziness helps to do all the works in time.For that one should maintain good health.Health is wealth too.
    To maintain a good health along with nutritious and balanced diet,working women should remember one other important thing.Try to avoid the habit of eating foods from refrigerator.Though we consume it by reheating, all the nutrients will be lost and of no use.
    Instead of preparing more quantity of gravies or foods, prepare them in required amount only.By this we can avoid getting health problems like food poisons.
    Don't do two or more works at same time and get tensed.Segregate the works and do them.Concentrate in the work whatever it is and complete them whole heartily.Have patience, share your opinions to others.

Have the habit of replacing things in same place.For example Id, Mobiles,watches, costumes, pens, papers, needle and thread and so on.Have a common diary at one place to make important notes(gas booking, mobile bills, current bill dates, monthly budget comparison chart)

Especially train the kids to replace their things(Books, pencils, erasers shoes, shocks, Id cards) Parents can check them regularly.

Though we plan and schedule works, sometimes we will get bored and tired.So one can rejuvenate them with newer ideas by spending time with kids, listening melodious songs or by playing games.
    Don't carry the office work to home.Try to complete those in office hours itself.Likewise don't carry family problems to office.

Pending works are the burdens & causes sorrows, avoid it as much we can.
    Spend time in mobile phones unless it is essential.

Equal importance should be given to work as well as family life.Without both we can't survive.
    Lead a peaceful life!
    Work to live! Love to work!

With Regards,
    mydesigns:thumbsup

7. gomthi

gomthi New IL'ite

I am not a great planner as every career woman claims. I am fifty plus, spent my better part of life with in laws, balancing a career of teaching and house work. I raised my two kids and now they are independent. With only the two of us, me and my husband in our home now, life has become a bit slow. I still pursue my career. I recollect the life which went in fast-forward and how I managed it in my stride is what I have tried to present here.

1. Emotional involvement in what you do for the family is very important. Do with love what you have to and not as a duty. Once in a while let your family members know how much you love them. It does not require hours to do this. However little you do for the family, your love will make it magnificent.

Give your brain to your career and do not let emotions to rule you here. This will allow you to think clearly and take the right decisions.

2. Allot time for everything and plan for the family, but do not make yourself a machine at home.

Make yourself a machine when it comes to your career. Do not accumulate work or you may have to sacrifice your precious family time.

3. When yoy have the time and energy, give surprises for your family - surprise in food, surprise gifts etc., but when you are tired physically or mentally, be open about it.

Do not over burden yourself with work which may not benefit you - monetary benefits or a lift in your official standing. Do not get carried away by words of praise alone.

4. Feed your family at least one nutritious meal a day. It need not be elaborate. Of course all nutritious meals are easy to make, for example, fresh uncooked vegetable salads or fruits. Cooking good food does not mean that you should spend all the time in the kitchen.

In the office, do not forget the basic rules - puctuality, orderliness and work discipline. This will help you avoid worries which may eventually disrupt your peace at home.

5. Chill out with family by going on outings. Outings may be rare for you, so make the most of such occasions by making them special.

Support of your co-workers and your boss is very important. Make them your friends. Invite them home occasionally.

6. Make your family understand that your career is important to you and do not hesitate to get their help in house work. Do not feel guilty about asking them to lend you a hand in any work. Your feeling of guilt raises doubts on the integrity of the work.

Your office should know that you have a family to take care of. Do not make yourself a slave there.

7. Exercise a bit daily. Walking is the best. Do not forego your sleep or else you will feel tired in the office. Your efficiency will wear thin.

Give relaxing exercise for the neck and eyes during lunch break. Close your eyes for a few minutes and roll them. Massage the neck for a few minutes.

8. As far as possible do not bring office work home. If it comes to it, sit along with your children when they do their homework, and do yours. It will give a satisfaction to them and they will enjoy the company you are giving them.

Do not try to engage in personal work in office. If it is absolutely essential, do it with utmost discretion.

9.Care for your health. This is very important because, without being healthy, you can manage neither.

Make use of the medical benefits offered by your office. After a certain age, periodic health check-ups are essential.

10. Make yourself always presentable. Every woman likes to be appreciated for her beauty and you are never too tired for chic clothes even at home.

A smart official look gives you that edge over others and makes possible the lift that you so crave for.

Wish that you make it great in your life

8. priyaiyengar

priyaiyengar New IL'ite

work-life balance-contest

Hi

Let me share some of my experience and also ideas that i have learnt from others (my friend's mother, my friends, realtives, collegues).

First and foremost thing is TIME MANAGEMENT. Fix a time for each task and try to stick with it, train your kids to follow the same. During my childhood, my friend's mother will use radio to listen music as welll as to know time every now and then to rush up herself and her kids to finish chores at right time ha ha ha.

Secondly, "SHARING CHORES AT HOME". In my college days, one of my close friend's mother was working. What they will do you know, they will wash their own clothes (this may sound bad for husband and grown-up kids). She will do small helps in household chores like preparing dosa, arranging washed clothes, etc. In some houses, if it is a joint family, they will share work like one will broom, one will cook, one will clean, one will wash (like working in office but very ideal). If you share work, you will not get tensed, yell at people at home and also you will finish all the work early.

Third, CO-OPERATION. If people at home and you do this - life is a heaven.

Fourth HEALTH. Try to maintain your health too because your well-being will help you and your family (dont starve, sleep atleast seven hours, drink at least lots of fluids, spend at least half an hour for your entertainment for your mental health).

Fifth MIND POWER. Last but not the least, tell your mind that you can do and everything will set right. Dont think about problems, it will solve on their own and concentrate on your work and family.

ONE IMPORTANT POINT THAT I WANNA MAKE CLEAR IS PLEASE LADIES STAY IN RIGHT HEALTH AND KEEP YOURSELF FIT AT ANY COST. KEEP YOUR MIND CLEAR TOO

cheers
    priya.:thumbsup

9. Hemadhawan

Hemadhawan Senior IL'ite

Maintaining a work life balance by a working mother is like being on a seesaw. Kids and job, both require 100% commitment. A working mother not only needs to look after kids and job but also has to meet work and family pressures. In order to satisfy everyone’s need, she is left tired, depressed and sometimes frustrated.

To avoid all this, the first must do for working mother is to be happy. Happiness can only be attained when she herself is physically fit, motivated and above all organized.

Here are some tips to attain above given points-

Work to live and not live to work - Eat well, sleep well and grasp every chance you get to exercise. Just as you set a daily planner at work, make sure you do the same for your weekend. Plan activities with family and friends. Also, keep a couple of hours solely for your personal wellbeing. Indulge in a spa, explore your passion and do things which make you relax and help to unwind.

Prioritize time management -Plan your days; for laundry, grocery shopping and other household tasks. Divide work between all family members and do acknowledge contributions. For e.g. Your 5 yr. old son needs appreciation for making his bed daily.
    Be it office or home learn to work ''smart''. Work out timings when your productivity is highest. Sort work and try to complete the maximum during those hours. Multitask whenever needed.

Learn the art of saying NO- Do not let guilt find its way to your heart. Your family and job are the important things in your life. Do justice to them. Learn to say No, whenever needed; e.g. your friend has habit of sending his child to you at your nap time; tell her firmly that you need rest.

Together we can- Working mothers can form a group. Take turns in supporting different activities– like outdoor play, drawing classes, etc. Grand parents can also play a major part here. Also, it is important to know that parenting can be much more thrilling and nourishing if mothers plan it well.
    And last but not the least,

Communicate- Trust your family and kids. Children understand things better when dealt with patience. There can be times when you need to spend extra time at office or you may not be in pink of your health, talk to your kids and trust me these little angels will do their best to help you out.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  10. DeepikaMP

DeepikaMP Senior IL'ite

Hi All,

First and the foremost thing we need to do is to spare time for our family members whenever possible.While in office,most of us dont attend the call once we see "Calling Home" in our mobile screen.We take them for granted.We never talk to our parents in a humble way.We show all our frustration and anger to them because we think that they are the persons to show our anger.Even after going home or in weekends,we spend most of our time with our mobiles,laptops and our soul companion television.We are ready to sit late night to chat with our orkut friends or watch our favorite movies,but we couldn find time to sit and talk with our family.I am thankful to our govt in one way.The time which we dedicate our time completely for our family is when "there is a power cut".Thats the time we get time to talk to parents because we are free from all other commitments.This is really pathetic.Having a dinner with our family is really a great thing.
    So,lets take an oath that we find time for our family and make them happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.