1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

First 6 Months Of Married Life

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by poi098, Jun 9, 2017.

1. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

Married girls of IL - How was your first 6 months of marriage. How was your "discovery period" of married life, Relationship with new husband, MIL, FIL, relatives? Did you live in joint family? What all adjustments did you have to do? How much responsibility of household did you take and how soon \ what all? When did the honeymoon period end?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017

2. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

It was a family politics less life I have ever lived. Only there after Everything started to raise up. It all started after SIL teaching my husband on how to be a very controlling husband. It all started after my MIL gossiped about me badly for nothing. "Kurangu kuchiyai thaandinaal" - thaandra Rama thaandu, thaandra Rama thaandu - expectation was like that after 6 months. My MIL wanted to be like a kurangaatti and she expected me to be kurangu literally. When started to break such expectations, problems started..anyway..it's all part of life..for honeymoon it was a great comedy. My MIL told "why honeymoon" go to my sister's house. So my husband did the same thing and I was like a torch without a battery.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  3. poi098

poi098 Bronze IL'ite

Can you translate the non-english parts?

4. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Oh Iam sorry. Thought u know Tamil. Monkey Owner Training a monkey with a stick commanding the monkey to cross the stick. If the monkey doesn't do the owner will not provide food for the monkey and keep the monkey in his custody always.

5. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

So true. ...

6. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Despite mine being a love marriage, first six months were both exciting and very challenging. Lived half of it with in laws and later we had to move to a different city. Both had its challenges.

Getting adjusted to in laws way of life, waking up early, dressing up different, different food taste n habits, help with everything, forced to be social with everyone, adjust with every pressure n expectation that came our way, behave to the tee n basically be nice diplomatic no matter what.

Living by ourselves, challenges were that we both never lifted our plates at our respective homes. All of a sudden, we had to take care of our home. There was an everyday fight about who will do what. Both of us didn't know cooking, n we learnt by practice (dead taste buds era.. haha) Toilet seat up n down. Clothes thrown everywhere. Things kept back at different places. Many more like that. More than anything, it was the practical day to day work that made it even more challenging. That then can turn into a fight because both are frustrated. After a while, you can find a way to make all of it work properly, in our case, it was finding a maid to help us out of the big problem..

BeingSoulful likes this.
  7. WiseAgnes

WiseAgnes Gold IL'ite

Nice thread, poi098!
    I didn't get to spend the whole first 6 months of marriage with my husband, it was only 3. Then, I went to my parents' state to attend my first year of medical school. Our first 6 months were challenging and filled with joy, love and fun at the same time.
    Challenges:
    -My husband and I initially planned to settle down at one particular state, just two of us. However, after I got into med school, which is located 20 min of drive from my parents' house, I decided to go there instead. My husband was ready to move with me, but he was suffering from bad anxiety because he couldn't find a well-paying job near my parents' house. He couldn't agree to a lesser paying job because he had to pay for all his parents expenses, including mortgage for their huge house and lease for their car. So sometimes he would get very frustrated and sad that we would have to part for some time.
    -My mom in law was being a mom in law :grinning: She was mad at me because I told my husband right from the start that I will never live in a joint family, if I wanted to live with parents as an adult, I'd live with mine. And my husband, her only son, said "This is fine". Moreover, after my med school situation, he was ready to move in with my parents. Later, my mom in law told me that she was badly abused by her in-laws and she was begging my FIL to move to another house and he would always say no. Only after 15 years of marriage, when she couldn't stand abuse any longer and she said that she is leaving my FIL, he agreed to move out. So, she was upset that her son was ready to leave them for his wife so easily. I don't blame her a bit.
    -Being forced to socialize with all my husband's relatives
    -Separation with my husband, after he couldn't find a job right away

Joys:
    -Magical honeymoon in Mauritius
    -My SIL and I became close friends instantly. She is only a year older and was excited to have a sister. We would spend so much time together that my husband started saying that it is good that we won't live in a joint family because I would spend more time with his sister than with him :tearsofjoy:
    -Finally living with my prince Charming under the same roof
    -My MIL and SIL taking care of all the chores. Not like my MIL didn't ask me to do anything out of love, she just didn't believe I could do anything properly, which was fine with me

What about your experience, poi098?

silentlistener likes this.
  8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

The first six months , rather the first year is the toughest specially if the couple has not lived together before . We had lots of arguments and fights in the first year ( inspite of the honeymoon period) . We lived by ourselves , so that was easier but nevertheless it takes a year to completely adjust and respect each other's space , likes and dislikes . The duration honeymoon period depends on the couple :)