Finest Post Winners - May 2017

Discussion in 'Finest Posts of IL' started by satchitananda, May 31, 2017.

1. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

Hope that fund-raising solicitation didn't come as a surprise.

Rewind, even the earliest winners of Dionysia Festival were awarded a mewling goat which they probably donated to the Temple. Then the winning playwright of the later period was awarded a wreath of ivy which he probably hung on the arched keystone of the amphitheatre. What could they have taken home with the gold diverted to fund the Peloponnesian war. And today whilst upholding the same unbroken magnanimous spirit, these generous donations to our food club from both the winners will be wisely invested to upgrade from a peeler to a food processor in an attempt to retain the nutrients in the skin of the potatoes.

Ref: Did 'tragedy' originally mean 'goat song'? | OxfordWords blog

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    satchitananda and ojaantrik like this.
  2. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

Dear Iravati,

I had made it clear to IL long ago, not quite as long ago as the Dionysia Festivsl of course, that I wouldn't accept prizes. My reasons were clear. I am too old to compete with people young enough to be my grandchildren. In fact I didn't even wish to be nominated. IL agreed not to offer me prizes, but disagreed on the nomination part. Satchi knows about it and understands. I have always been happy to help IL to build resources for a better cause. Unfortunately, I have lost track of the record.

All the best.

oj

Shanvy likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear OJ-da,

Am sorry to bring this up again. Finest Posts - June 2016 Winners

So all that the winners now get are ribbons for 6 months next to their avatars pronouncing them to be the finest post winners. So no worries. You don't have to worry about snatching any prize from anyone or of IL spending any money that can be used in other places.

I do understand your sentiments very well, but it would be very unfair if such a wonderful piece were not recognised for what it is. So please forgive me; there were no two ways about it.

@Iravati, there go our hopes of the potato peeler and food processer. :cry::cry::cry:

Shanvy likes this.
  4. ojaantrik

OK Satchi!! As you say. How come Cheeniya manages without badges though? Clever chap.

oj-da

satchitananda likes this.
  5. satchitananda

OJ-da, moderators can't give themselves badges! :) So how can super-moderators?

ojaantrik likes this.
  6. ojaantrik

Can people who write rubbish get badges? I can cheat you easily. :)

7. satchitananda

No OJ-da. They can't. :) And no, you can't cheat me!

8. ojaantrik

:(

satchitananda likes this.
  9. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

This sentiment is not a bit unusual. In my first corporate job, we used to get invitations to join corporate quizzes. The year I joined the firm, our veteran or the resident quizmaster stepped down to allow participation of new comers. You know those brand equity quizzes where you scratch your head ..."Why is Nirma washing powder named Nirma?"

The result? We didn't even qualify that year. A group of junior staff barely made it to the audition. But that mentor who could have easily secured an entry for us with his participation in the team didn't care any more for trophies as he felt obliged to impart experiences to people. Not only impart but induce newer generation into having similar experiences. After considerable experience and scholarship in a field, people step down from competitive roles to a fulfilling mentorship.

Funny that all the FP winners this month could not care less about incentives. Knowing Shanvy and having interacted with her in Lunch Ideas thread, I inferred that such awards don't factor into her motivation. She loves what she does! Similarly having read your writing here, you come forth as someone who composes for the sheer joy of writing because it is fulfilling to you. (ahem) Having interacted with the inscrutable sokanasanah in neurons, I would be surprised if he even registered that such an award exists in IL. He is someone who could easily be startled with the totemic ribbon — what? where? what award is that?

However, reiterating as Satchi emphatically wrote back, while promoting talent in the forum, it is also vital to uphold talent. Mind you, no acuity or Deep Mind is needed to sniff out quality posters. Few days of sustained interaction and every newbie can cast their own opinions on members. Members can admire or value contributions with no directive. Thereon, they may want to emulate such deportment. Nevertheless, it is beneficial to the community as a whole to promote that emulation by pointing to contributions that typify the consensus. These posts or posters have been selected as they stand out in setting a community standard. These are my personal views. Given the option, all the active members would probably withdraw themselves from nomination of any form and pave way for the newer members (or so I think). Last, the red ribbon though is an unsolicited privilege to the accomplished members and if you are not too painfully self-conscious like me that can also double as a beacon for the initiates to draw attention to the FP ballot. The latter is more substantive than the former.

Shanvy, ojaantrik and satchitananda like this.
  10. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy and sokanasanah like this.