1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

FIL wants us to settle in India..

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Workingstudent, Jan 1, 2012.

1. eandian

eandian IL Hall of Fame

Dear,
    You have already lived in US for a few years and you like it there. It will be difficult to live in India because some one else forced it on you.

Either you are going to live in US, and get blamed by your FIL
    or

you are going to live in India and blame your FIL everytime you feel like you have given up a life that you always wanted.

So one of you is going to be unhappy.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    6 people like this.
  2. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

My ILs always seem dissatisfied no matter what we buy/do for them. But like you say, contentment and happiness has to come from within, once you know that your children/parents have done the best they could, for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Workingstudent,

They need to understand that they are responsible for their own happiness. If they are bored here, why not explore ways of getting rid of the boredom? Just because they would get bored staying in US, they cannot make you scapegoats and expect you to sacrifice all you have dreamt of and worked for.

As your fiance is not taking up the matter with his prents, i would suggest you buy sometime for your marriage. Meanwhile both of you work towards getting a job and settling down in US. When you start this process, your future FIL will definitely bring up this topic for discussion. Then you and your fiance can make your stand clear to your FIL.

1 person likes this.
  4. Workingstudent

Workingstudent Junior IL'ite

Hi Anusha,
    I agree every word u say about my BF being happy for his sis and I am probably blowing this issue out of proportion.. There is not a chance of me rethinking this alliance coz i have been with him for a really long time and I am happy and things are great between us. The higher priority between getting married to him or staying in US would be getting married to him. At any cost, anywhere its him. Also, my MIL was the one to suggest about us living separately in another house even if settling in India. She said this the first day we met on her own will even though she did not know abt our US plans. I feel I should compromise here and if things don't work then should go back to India for the happiness of all. I hope I will eventually make peace with what I have. But the comparison with my SIL is something I cannot tolerate. I fight it everyday here as well. Even though we are in the US like my SIL, my FIL still compares the money we make and social status we have with them.

5. Workingstudent

Thank you! It makes total sense. I tried talking to my BF abt this and he says wherever I go he is willing to go with me. He loves it here, he loves it in India if I am ok with it. His dad feels I am the decision maker and tells me everything. Not once has he asked his son about coming back to India coz he knows it lies in my hands. I ignore to what my FIL has to say most of the times. I don't want to prove big to anyone. I don't want to fight a competition with my SIL everyday. I am scared I am going to loose it someday and give the reply i have always wanted to give to my FIL. I think as u said consulting with my BF in depth and being on the same page matters the most now. Thanks again!

6. Workingstudent

I agree. Finding jobs will put a pause to this issue for a while. But not a full stop. Again the status comparison is going to be there all the time. U do this job my daughter does that job. How do i make this SIL comparison stop once for all.. Pls help.

7. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

hi workingstudent

i would also say give urself some time before u commit for anything !
    u r just starting ur life , give some time to ur career and in the mean time try to observe ur bf and his family.
    the thing that ur bf is saying that he will see where life leads us and blah blah is all nonsense to me it seems like a guy who cant decide or does not have guts . u have clearly mentioned u want to be in us and in front of u he says he also likes the idea to be in us but in real he is scared to tell that to his family !!!
    the situation wont improve in future , it will only get worse. both the options are difficult for u , if u stay in usa and somehow he also agrees , he need to be firm that he can stand against his family , he should not blame u for living in usa while his poor parents live alone in india !
    secondly if u sacrifice ur dreams and come to india , im not sure u will be happy or not. it will always be at the back of ur mind that u gave up a golden opportunity . more over the comparisons between sil n u will get worse if u stay close to ur inlwas. as mostly for inlaws their dd is best and in this case its a well settled daughter .
    if u once agree and start dancing to their tunes there will be no end to it. today its coming to india as they are bored with usa life tomorrow will it be that dil should stay at home as they r bored or cant take care of themselves. they r healthy individuals who r having double standards for daughter n dil. does their daughter dont have inlaws who need her ?
    life is very different when u marry , the same person who was a loving bf gets caught in web of being a good son , caring brother and a loving husband and belive me i think 90 % indian guys are comfortable with a tag of good son at the sake of fights and tensions with their wifes but wont have guts to face their parents.
    my only advice dont rush into anything. give time and the mean time look for job opportunities , think what u want from life and then take a decision .
    goodluck!

8. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

This guy is a rare find. Look after him well in life. You are a nice person too. Good luck.