1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fil Criticizes My Parents In Front Of Me... Mil Escapes Saying Fil Is Kidding , It's His Nature

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by AAPriya, Sep 8, 2017.

1. emmypisquemmy

emmypisquemmy New IL'ite

I don’t find it to be an overreaction at all to be offended that a gift your dad so kindly picked for you was dismissed so rudely by some man who barely knows you. I also don’t feel that you’re oversensitive as others have said. It’s good that you’re sensitive, otherwise he’d be making mean comments about your family and getting away with it. He shouldn’t be able to do that.

I think your reaction if he talks like this from now on should be based on his personality:
    If he seems to be a reasonable person, talk to him about how the things he says hurt you. Your dad is important to you and you don’t appreciate your in laws talking badly about him. Tell him firmly that you won’t tolerate it.

If he seems to get angry easily:
    Try not to confront him because it probably won’t go anywhere but down. Kill him with kindness, act naive, make him feel bad for acting bad.

If he says “We have too many of these in this house. Ask him for something else.”
    Respond “Oh, I couldn’t! This has so much meaning since my dad picked it for me. Thankfully I won’t be keeping it in your house anyway.”

If he says “If your father has so much money ask him to give it to me.”
    Respond “Sure no problem! I’ll let him know you mentioned it.”

He seems to be getting a kick out of saying these things only to you because he’s too cowardly to say them straight to your dad. See how he’ll react to it possibly getting to your dad’s ears.

BhumiBabe, AAPriya and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:for sure wise council. Op might try for her benefit. Thanks. Regards.

3. AAPriya

AAPriya Bronze IL'ite

Thank you. I'll definitely try your way when I encounter another episode.

4. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

This has happened to me too.. any thing MIL or FIL say, the other one justifies it as "just kidding" , its like saying " i will murder you, JUST KIDDING" "I'm a joooking" , is life a chunkey pandey movieE??

Thyagarajan and AAPriya like this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:the implied meaning is superb in the above quoted words and OP should take it humourously and not to heart. thanks and regards. God Bless us all.

Parry22 likes this.