1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Feeling Lonely

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Sapna56, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Sapna56

Sapna56 Bronze IL'ite

Hi All
    We moved to another place few months back. We were able to form a group of friends like 3 couples. We often try to meet after every few weekends. Among these 2 couples, one couple 'A' are closer to us as my DH, and other guy ('A' husband) are childhood friends. Now 'A' wife is extrovert, gets along easily and is also a bluff master. I am an introvert and I take lot of time to get comfortable.
    While talking she informed me that 'B' wife is doing a get together. I was quite hoping that 'B' wife would invite us if at all she has get together. But it didn't happen.
    I called up 'A' wife to invite her to join us for an event. 'A' wife gave lame reasons for not joining us. Now I am guessing that she denied us coz she might be going to 'B' house for the program for which we aren't invited. And so is 'A' wife lying and giving lame reasons.
    Again this is just my thought as I remember 'A' saying that 'B' is planning a program at her home.
    It might not be true as 'B' might have cancelled her plan also. But I have couple of indications that makes me think the way I am thinking.
    This fact is making me angry and lonely. I am loosing interest thinking that I am being ignored or not invited and people close to me are lying me.
    I am getting angry on my DH too for not planning any outing etc as a side effect.
    I am trying to ignore it but somehow i am not able to.
    Also as we are new here don't have many friends. Also if we are in a kind of group and someone tries to behave like this, its very annoying.
    Please suggest.

2. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

I have had my shares of moving countries n cities, so can tell you that this is quite common than you think, you are known to them 'B' for just a few months, how are you expecting them to start inviting you for everything. Just because you met a few weekends?

I understand that we 'need' to feel included, but it doesn't always work that way. Any relationships takes time, expecting to be treated similar to an older member jus after a few months in may not be possible. All these things takes its time.

N be ready to accept the crowd they invite will depend on the party they are hosting, so all may not be included every time until unless you are very close to them where they start inviting you for anything n everything at their place.

And about A lying to you, it could also be to not hurt you. Once A spoke to you about it, you might have said or showed that B may invite you, n now that she hasn't, A doesn't want to put B in a spot n also doesn't want to make you feel bad. If there is indeed a party n A is not talking about it, she's atleast being nice than rubbing it in.

Social life is good n important even, but don't expect everyone to include you "everytime" n you stop trying to include everyone "everytime". It can't work, then you may have to start feeling guilty whenever you want to hang out with only 'A' as they are closer to you. This "everyone" concept is a myth. Once you understand n accept that, it will stop bothering you. Give it time n avoid taking everything personally, if not you will only lose your peace over it.

You can also organise a party at your home n invite all the new friends, that can be a good start esp since you are the newbie to the place.

Rihana, Sweety82 and sindmani like this.
  3. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

First of all you three are not friends in true sense. The group is for some company and entertainment. It is better don't expect more that.

Lower your expectations and be happy. If you want to invite anyone to your home you can do that. It is your right to decide whether to invite one or not. It is others decision to come or not.. if they come , enjoy. If not, take it easy.. Everyone has to respect others choices or decision. They are not your family or close friends to disclose everything to you. It take time to form close friendships.

Don't expect the kind of friendship you receive in your home town. Outside India, the kind of behaviour you mentioned is pretty common. Once you are used to it, you will be fine.

OP, take it easy and enjoy your day. Don't waste your time by thinking about it too much. Leave it.

Don't expect anything from anyone. You may be too sincere to everyone. Please don't expect that from others.

If they invite you, go there, have a blast, come back and sleep with a happy mind. Over thinking will spoil happiness. Have a great time.

Rihana, anika987, Sweety82 and 5 others like this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

Thank you @DDream... You're correct the group is for company, omg I have had my share of experiences with people only to know information and asking about others update.
    Op pls try to stick to Hi bye kind of relationship with these aquitances. I strongly believe friendship after school and college days may be first job...don't evolve for long.
    Now I love my college and school friends, after seeing these type of aquitance

5. Sweety82

Sweety82 Gold IL'ite

Sometimes we need to learn not to get perturbed foe all these things. Then only we can live. Simply don't care for that. Don't even ask why and don't give importance to that. Go for a nearby trip with ur H and enjoy to the fullest. When they approach you then u respond accordingly for whatever they ask. Otherwise just leave it and focus on ur family and ur dear H . Whenever I used to get these situations, I used to feel bad when I was in 20s but now I have learnt a lot to ignore people.

sindmani and Vedhavalli like this.
  6. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Lower your expectation.
    A & B are not your relatives, they are not even your friends... These kind of friends are not really friends.
    To kill your boredom and to have some company, you guys have formed some friendship. But you are not friends from the heart.
    So, basically there is nothing that you could expect from them.

B can call you if she thinks you are a suitable participant to her event. If not, she has all the rights to ignore you and invite someone else for that place.
    It is her choice. You gotta respect this.

A has all the right to chose between you and B. If she thinks the party at B's place would be more entertaining that some event at your home on the same day/time, then she can opt B.
    Not necessarily A has to reveal her choice to you. She is being diplomatic and giving you some lame excuse to avoid you. Get your clue and move on.

Next time, when your turn comes, you chose whether to invite B or not to your parties/events.
    You chose whether to prioritize A, B or someone else.
    You are not obliged to prioritize A & B, and do everything according to them.
    You are not their friend. You are not committed to them. Move on... Take these things simply.

sindmani likes this.