1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fear Keeps Us Alive!!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Sep 5, 2018.

1. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Fear keeps us alive.

Those who say don't be afraid perhaps don't know that it is fear that keeps us alive and not the absence of it. Fear keeps us alert, eyes sharpened and mind focused.

Kerala suffered the worst floods of the century. There were many casualties but the worst is over. Thousands would have died if fear did not keep them alert. Their alertness, sharpened eyes and focused minds kept them alive. They found ways and means to remain afloat. If they had tried to brave it out saying to themselves and others 'nothing will happen ', they would not be alive today.

There was fire in a multistory apartment building in Mumbai. People were scared for their life. This kept them alert. The alertness kept them alive.

Accidents happen, calamities arise and deaths occur. Some are devoured, some are saved. A good majority of the survivors were fearful of the dangers and thus helped themselves.

The fear of death keeps us alive. If you do not trust me think of the thousands and thousands of hospitals, doctors and paramedics, pharmaceutical companies, medicine stores around us today. All these exist because fear of death exists in us. We take all possible precautions to stay alert. A little sneeze moves us to the medicine cabinet. A little fever takes us to our doctor. And do not forget it turns us into advisors to others also as to what they should do in similar conditions.

Without fear, danger doubles. It is not fear of death alone. Fear of loss of property and valuables is also a savior. Look at the locks with coded numbers we have changed on our doors or the anti theft devices we have now including our passwords for our bank accounts, debit or credit cards, email accounts, face book to name a few .

Fear of loss of reputation is another savoir. What people will not do to stay on the high pedestal they are?

I can go on and on.

Suffice to say 'Long live Fear! You are God'!

sindmani, Sinant, Tamrakshar and 3 others like this.

2. messedup

messedup Platinum IL'ite

Life of a pi.

HariLakhera likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

This reminds me of the movie that came in 1972. Ben Kingsley who acted as Mahatma Gandhi and won an Oscar does a supporting role in the 1972 thriller.
    I can't agree with you more!

HariLakhera likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

The thread title is a click-trap.
    I came in here thinking this would be about:blush: how the home bound retirees have to be afraid of the one who rules the home. The famous phrase "She who must be obeyed" also came to mind.

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    From fear arises courage. If we are afraid of some situation there are two ways of dealing with it. One is running away from it (if possible) and another is facing it. If the option of running away is not there, we gather strength, because that is the only option left and try to resolve it. Always the first step is difficult and we do become nervous.... no doubt. But subsequent one are easier and cake walk. Foundation is fear.
    Syamala

Rihana and Gauri03 like this.
  6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

Is it fear or the ability to face it that saves lives, properties, possessions? You have yourself said it was alertness or preparedness that saved many lives. Fear gives insecurity whereas courage gives self belief. When we learn how to overcome fear is when we feel secured.

Viswa

7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The earliest fear I remember is the fear of a spanking from dad after he came home in the evening if he got to hear of our antics from the day. Too bad that such fear in children now means parents have to fear that child will post it on social media.

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

???

9. HariLakhera

Well there always be next time. I will certainly blog on that. For the present, why only retirees, all husbands are fearful of the tigress at home ready to pounce on him before she opens the gate.
    Liked your sense of humor. Thanks..

10. HariLakhera

Syamalaji,
    That's exactly I want to say. Everyone can run away if possible. The true grit is tested when we have to face it head on. Reminds me of some one saying seven people facing death sentence waiting to be hanged. The last in the line was laughing his heart out.