Favourite Delhi Restaurant

Discussion in 'Delhi & NCR' started by sushmasrivastav, Jun 16, 2009.

1. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi
    <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City> has a very happening restaurant scene. You have a great many choices from restaurants in five star hotels to locality restaurants to those in malls. They serve a wide range of cuisine to from Frontier to Continental, Thai, Lebanese, Chinese even a specialty Bengali restaurant. Restaurants in particular <st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City> localities like the ones in <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Pandara Road</st1:address></st1:Street> or the Kailash Colony market in <st1:place w:st="on">South Delhi</st1:place> are affordable, dish out quality fare and have their own loyal following.
    I am sure there are plenty of other great restaurants and eating out options out there. Which is your favourite restaurant and why? Do let us know. :cheers

2. jasminderkaur

jasminderkaur Senior IL'ite

When I was in Delhi, I ate at a small shop in Old Delhi called Karim's. It is a completely non-veg. restaurant and serves delicious kababs. Our friend in Delhi took us there. I was a little nervous going to Chandi chowk as it is not a very hygenic place. But I am glad that I went.

We ate so much. The chicken curry and gosht was absolutely fantastic and so were the kababs. You must try it.

3. sweetsanjam

sweetsanjam Senior IL'ite

Whenever I am in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City>, I try to visit Manre at the Select City Walk Mall at Saket in <st1:place w:st="on">South Delhi</st1:place>. This restaurant owned by Ramola Bachhan has opened recently and quickly acquired the reputation of a fine dining destination among the elite set.

If you are planning to go there, here is what Manre has lined up for you on Wednesdays and Thursdays. The restaurant hosts Desi Addiction on Wednesdays with Bollywood music in the background. Women guests often get treated to complimentary drinks on Wednesdays. The men folk have it easy on Thursdays (called Thirsty Thursdays in the restaurant lingo) with an attractive package for drinks.
    :cheers

4. BandanaSen

BandanaSen Bronze IL'ite

Well, my favourite restaurant is Oh! <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Calcutta</st1:place></st1:City> at the Park Royal Hotel in <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Nehru Place</st1:address></st1:Street>. It is part of the Oh! <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Calcutta</st1:place></st1:City> chain and serves excellent Bengali cuisine in all its restaurants. Regular Bengali dishes especially fish preparations like Sorshe Illish and Malai Chingri are served here. Patrons also love the luchi and mutton preparations. Sweet dishes include soufflé, rosogulla and payash (kheer). During lunch hours Oh! <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Calcutta</st1:City></st1:place> serves buffet at reasonable prices.

The last time I went there, the restaurant was hosting a fish festival. The décor included fish nets and cutouts of that favorite Bengali fish - Hilsa.
    :thumbsup

5. shefalisingh

shefalisingh Senior IL'ite

Well. Jasminder, I am delighted you liked Karim's. What you say is true. Karim's is well known all over Delhi for their mutton and chicken preparations. They have now branched out and have opened shops in other parts of Delhi, one of which is at Kailash Colony in South Delhi.

6. kk2009

kk2009 New IL'ite

Well my favorite restaurant has to be Nirula's restaurant. Doesn't matter how many new chains and fast food joints open, Nirula's still has its own charm. I have been going to it ever since I was a little baby. I love its burgers, pizzas and ice creams.

Has anyone of you ever tried the Hot Chocolate Fudge at Nirula's? If not, then you are missing the best dessert in the world.

7. Ayesha88

Ayesha88 New IL'ite

Hi kkb
    Of course, I love Nirulas. I simply love the hot chocolate fudge at Nirulas. It is truly something great.
    My own favourite is a restaurant called Shekaza, very near Deshbandhu College in Kalkaji, South Delhi. It offers a cozy family dining experience. My cousins live in Kalkaji and whenever I am visiting them, we end up having a meal at Shekaza. I simply love the Drums of Heaven (chicken lollipops) served there. They cost a little over Rs 100/- for a plate and are quite filling.
    I have my own seating preference. As you enter Shekaza, there is a small alcove in the wall. A lamp glows there and I always seat myself so as to view this alcove. Have you visited Shekaza?
    :hiya

8. HarleenSethi

HarleenSethi New IL'ite

Of course! Nirulas has its own place among <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>’s restaurants. Whenever possible, I do drop in. My favourite restaurant is the Urban Pind in Greater Kailash I. It is quite popular among <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Delhi</st1:City></st1:place>’s Page 3 set. I recently spent a fortnight with my cousins in GK-I who took me to the Urban Pind.
    What attracts me to Urban Pind is that there is something happening every other day. There are free salsa classes on Tuesdays. Wednesdays is the Ladies’ Night with as much beer as you want and Urban Pind hosts expats on Thursdays. Fridays are my favorite. It is devoted to the fashion fraternity. You get to meet folks from the fashion world relaxing with some great food and drinks.

9. nutangill

nutangill New IL'ite

My brother stays in Vasant Kunj. Whenever we decide to eat out, he takes all of us to the Italia at <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">DLF Place</st1:address></st1:Street>, Vasant Kunj. It serves the best Italian food in all of Delhi0. The food is uniformly good and I especially like its décor. It kind of gets you in the mood.

The restaurant is actually a coming together of two business houses- Park Hotel’s Priya Paul and Antonio Carluccio of the <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">UK</st1:country-region></st1:place> based Carluccio chain.
    :cheers

10. raminderkaur

raminderkaur Bronze IL'ite

Well, my choice is not a proper restaurant at all. It is a cha bar. Infact it is the largest cha bar in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Delhi</st1:place></st1:City>. It is located within the Oxford Book Store at Statesman House, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Barakhamba Road</st1:address></st1:Street>, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Connaught Place</st1:address></st1:Street>.
    My niece used to work at the Oxford Book store and she invited me over. I was impressed. You can look at books or have a talk with your friend while you have your tea. The cha bar offers nearly 120 brews of Indian and international tea. My personal favourite is the fruit tea. Snacks include the Soy grilled chicken salads, tandoori paneer, fried vegetable items, and onion pakoras. Sweet dishes include the muffins and cakes.
    :cheers :hiya