1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fathers behaviour

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by pmandy, Dec 18, 2013.

1. pmandy

pmandy New IL'ite

Hi I am from Pune Maharashtra. I am doing job in one company. My parents (Mom and dad) stay in town which is around 400 km from Pune. So I visit them once in a month on any of the weekends. I have elder sister who is married. I am very close to my mother than my father from childhood. Last time when i visited my parents, my father told me he wants to discuss something personal with me. So that evening when mom went out, we sat in bedroom for discussion. After some general topics, he started telling me about mom and her affair when i was in school/college. This was something unexpected and strange for me and he told he never shared with anyone. But after listening few lines, I asked him to stop and left the room. I was unable to understand how to react as it was totally unexpected thing for me. How should i handle this situation? Should I listen dad completely or ignore and stop the topic. Please advise.

2. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

1. What was his intention in sharing it after so many years?
    2. How do you know if its true?
    3. If your mother has been a good mother to you, then never consider this even if this is true.
    4. Is he trying to get closer to you by degrading your mom?

Alright, you should now leave this thing as such. No point in performing a post-mortem of this issue. She has been a good mother, she loves you and you do too. What is the point in bringing her dark past? Speak to your dad and get to know if he is in a depression or something due to this. Has he been able to forgive and forget things? Is he still fuming? Speak to him and understand his whole point in sharing this with you. Then we can think of what to do with your dad.

3 people like this.
  3. pmandy

pmandy New IL'ite

Thanks for replying. During our discussion dad told that he saw mom recently talking to that person somewhere in town, and i think it made him to start thinking on it again. During our short discussion what he told me is as below:
    1. The person he was referring is my uncles friend. He got introduced to our family because of my uncle. After uncle got transferred to other town also, because of job, he was very good with our family, as i know
    2. He used to come at home frequently when nobody was there at our home and that time dad came to know about it. Once for continuous three days he visited home in morning and he was there at home for 1-2 hrs and our neighbors also surprised with it. That time there was some fight between mom and dad which I didnt know. It happened when i was in college, as per dad
    3. Also sometimes mom used to tell at home that she is going to family friends home. This is true as i used to go with her sometimes. But as per dad, sometimes till late evening she did not use to return home, and she was seen with that person talking somewhere. She used to go alone that time.
    After listening these 2-3 points i asked dad to stop as i was not in a position to listen further and left from there. I dont think there was intention to get closer to me. But as per him he has seen them recently somewhere just talking and think it made him to share it. Dont understand if it is his guesses. I did not discuss it further. Should i do it and will i get that courage to listen everything?

4. Anitap

Anitap IL Hall of Fame

Don't shut him off. Looks like he is desperate to share his burden with someone.
    There is no rule that a good mother won't cheat on her husband.

5. bhucat

bhucat Platinum IL'ite

What anitap is said is also my view.....ie your father is desperate and he now finds you as a good friend to share his burden, earlier you were so young and now you are married and you can understand things better. So dont ignore him as it hurts him so much (already he is in pain).

There might be some difference in your mom's behaviour, it may be or may not be true. But if your father initiates again tell him not to think so much on this, as time heals everything ask him to give more affection and love than now to your mother. Heart seeks other person only if affection is lacking. Also do not discuss directly with your mother, it is not appropriate. Give them some space and time to heal. Make some arrangements for a short vacation to both of them. Pray God for the good.

1 person likes this.
  6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Family talk time? Than talking behind each other's back?

7. MaliniHari

MaliniHari Gold IL'ite

Now that you explained, I feel that he needs an outlet and that is why he spoke to you. Cannot help thinking that there might be some smoke. However, listen to him. Let him overcome his emotions.
    You both can decide later on the further actions to be taken, if there is sufficient proof to his aforesaid accusation. Talk to him. Console him. Let him be clear. thats of more priority now.
    You can hear the full story from him. But act on it, if and only if there is a proof that the history is repeating itself.

8. pmandy

pmandy New IL'ite

To tell you about my family, its very traditional and from small town. may be 20 years before ladies in our faqmily were not allowed to go out except for some function.
    After I started going to school, mom started to go out to drop me in school. Apart from that she used to go to that family friends house mostly on sunday evening and sometimes on weekdays in evening.
    And after my admission to graduation she started traveling to Mumbai. that was after 2000. But overall she is simple, traditional lady (after and before marriage) and well respected in family. Her family (moms brother) is also very simple and from small village.
    Whatever dad is refering to is somewhere in late 90s i.e.after 1998. Being in such traditional family and small village, I wonder if she can think of doing such things.
    And as its small town, if you do small thing it will come to know to many people.
    Thats why i was not in a position to listen it and stopped him there itself.

9. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Probably as other posters said above your father is in a confused state of mind and needed someone to share with. Do listen to him. This may or may not be true but just think of his state of mind, knowing that his wife of so many years is cheating on him. How would you feel if you were in his place. He knows that those things will sooner or later reach your ears from gossipmongers and he chose rather to tell about it himself. As others suggested maybe you can tell your dad to be more affectionate to your mom and maybe give them a short vacation where they can spend time together. Rest pray to God and hope for the best.

10. pmandy

pmandy New IL'ite

Looking at our family traditions and my moms behavior and value is family i thought its dad misunderstanding and need to be cleared somehow.