Fasting Rules and Recipes during Navratri

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by Radhikafoodtriv, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Radhikafoodtriv

Radhikafoodtriv Senior IL'ite

No matter how modern and old we become, festivals take us close to our roots and family. We are lucky to be a part of the diverse nation called India and celebrate different religious festivals often. One festival coming up is Navratri. It is widely awaited by both young and old. Not only is this religious festival famous for its worship to Goddess Durga in her unique nine forms but it is rich with food and delicacies.

herbs-and-spices-during-navratri-vrat.jpg

The tradition of Navratri is an age old one passed from generation to generation. There is however some rules for fasting that many of us do not know accurately. Yes, we do have elders in the family to guide us but most of the time we may be away from them. It is important for you to observe the rules of fasting if you wish to display your true devotion to the Goddess. Devotees invoke the blessings from the Goddess if they are able to fast correctly and refrain from substances prohibited during the festival. Let us take a look at the correct rules of fasting during Navratri and how we can make the most of this festival without going wrong!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2015

2. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

It's a good thread.

Traditions and fasting rules changes according to the regions. For example in north India, generally they eat sabudana kichidi during the day time on a fasting day, but in south India generally they take liquids and fruits only.

Most important and common rule irrespective of regions is not eating the onion and garlic during navrathri fasting.

1 person likes this.
  3. VaniVyas

VaniVyas Platinum IL'ite

See in North India people refrain from eating all pulses and grains.. In south people make all types of Prasad using pulses, chana, ...

So I think it is better to follow what is followed in ones home and it is quite confusing.
    Anyways the info is quite good and thanks for the link.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I had this question for a long time but dont know under which forum it has to be posted. i think you read my mind friendssmiley
    last year i avoided onion and garlic, but was confused whether i can take rice or not..i wanted to be on fasting, but i am very weak. possibilities are there to faint and hence afraid because i have to manage both office and home..that is the main reason to avoid fasting in general. it would be really great if some clarifies my doubt..

1 person likes this.
  5. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Fasting is not compulsory if you have any health conditions. Heartful prayer is enough, do the pooja whole heartedly, that is what God expects from us....if you still want to do the fasting, then eat dry fruits, fruits and drink coconut water or fruit juices in the day time. Night you can eat rice after pooja. Generally I eat rice in the night time after pooja. I never heard that we should completely skip rice during fasting. Never do any fasting which completely drains your energy because you cannot concentrate on pooja if you are weak or hungry.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rith

Rith IL Hall of Fame

yeah. You are right @kcb..God is not expecting from us like this..but since i am getting confused when i am hearing such rules..i had this doubt for so long time..And we do pooja only at morning time. evening by 5 30 we light lamp and address visitors if any/ visit other house..
    Thank you for your reply..it helps..

1 person likes this.