1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fastest Growing Caste In India !! ?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by Amulet, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Sajith Pai, the writer describes "WHAT IS", with the data from the Indian Census of 2011, where people have told the government what the first language of their household is, and what their 2nd language is. And so on. He does not make judgements on whether what people speak at home is one way or the other. He says it is just the way it is... and then goes on to describe how they came to be IA (indo-anglians) or EF (English First) households. In the discovery that one can actually become an IA, and no need to be born IA, makes IA not really a caste, although IA people behave like they are a caste in their choice of a suitable marriage partner. Nothing whatsoever about what anybody SHOULD DO.

"What-should-be" are discussions that can take various directions, and those are exciting and educational.
    This is good. I liked the links. I will have to read through them all. Thanks.

Urmila likes this.
  2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

@Ouroboros
    You had made an excited leap at marriage arranging portals, and IA/EF/EC filters :laughing:!!

I think people (at girl dekko events) ask whether the girl is adjustable, because their "boy" is working in phoren, and would like a girl to speak some English. The English Comfortable (EC, the large 140 million market segment) is the group that most television commercials seem to go for as well. Even in the middle of Telugu, Tamil, or Hindi commercials there are English words/phrases tossed in, signaling something to the consumer -- a more sophisticated phoren aspect of some kind, perhaps.

3. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Who me? I am shudh desi who tucks in a spoonful of organic ghee while reciting sanskrit charms from a grimoire whilst sprinkling tulasi jal on my kitchen counter top before setting the kettle on stove. Dudette, you are confusing me with those cringe-worthy EFs. Chee chee! I don't know why they converse so much English. Rama O rama!

In flickering grievances:
    • IAs bicker in abstruse Latin! (Like Jake Ryan and Cathy Mueller flirting in Latin)
    • EFs accuse with Powell and Chaucer.
    • ECs writhe in Hemingway and Twain.

The choice hindustani expressions are reserved for incendiary fights. By then IA and EF and EC are all demoted in a snap to the same sleep-on-the-couch-tonight level.

I discerned his point that one must at least be EC to work their way till IA. ECs beget EFs to rise as IAs. The silver lining is that each progression is not inherited but self-made, which is an achievable feat without blaming the parental resources — 'if only I had been born in a wealthy family' is knocked over by 'if only I had perfected my English'.

Remember that Konkana Sen/as Aisha in the movie Wake Up Sid,

"I want a guy who is cosmopolitan and well-(IA)-bred and knows his theater and cocktails and art and New Yorker. He knows how to order Italian and is savoir faire in social conversations. I want that guy. But why would that guy want me, is the question."

(hmm, is that 'wake up sid' or am I confusing it with another movie.) There are IAs with intellectual and social capital, erm, like that up-and-coming parvenus, who have not necessarily inherited it but have acquired through education or exploration having worked their way urbane. The closing argument in Sajith Pai's article should have been — how coveted are they repudiated from traditional caste system? If they are, and you are not IA, then is it worth to aspire to be an IA sidling with evolved and not merely awakened India.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

And your friends' households are Indo-Anglians (cannot/donot speak any local language)? or EF (English first, that is, speak in English most of the time)? or English Comfortable ?
    Access to limited-supply opportunities require a person to produce a certificate that can get them a leg up, they are bound to do it. Sujith Pai describes his IA segment as wealthy people who send their kids to private schools that coddle and not allow any competitions, and then on to colleges abroad. Images of children in private schools in Simla or Darjeeling ( like what we had seen in the movie KKKG, Big-B and his dW-JayaB sent their kids to that type of school, but they were not IA, because they spoke Hindi at home) going to school in smart wool jackets, and playing cricket comes to mind.

5. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

It's your three-plaited thread so I took the liberty of imaginative leaps and bounds. Had it been someone else's then I would have pulled a Schopenhauer rictus with 'ah! I see your point" and exited by now. Moreover such contemporary topics ring in close to my turf of whatsapp essays and telephonic discussions with friends. Had it been an outdated or trite inquiry and not your witty flair for tussling with the IA-EF-EC triumvirate, then I would have found my musing inexpedient.

(I generally tend to get chatty if the topic piques me! You know, I can go on ...)

Amulet likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes please go on. I am enjoying your excitement. An opening post in a thread is like drawing a hopscotch grid on the ground, and waiting for someone to come in and hop.

Getting to an IA status isn't going to be easy, and it may take generations. IA's don't need to be extremely wealthy. The Ambani's, Birla's and Bachchans are not IA's. They marry within their own gujarathi/hindi speaking clans and sustain their languages and their lifestyles. They are mostly EC's. They can give an interview to foreign media outlets in English, and when they do that to Indian Media, they would interject Hindi words and phrases for emphasis, as well as for demonstrating that they are one of us, and not too taken up with the phoren stuff. EC is the growing group in India (and by being within it IA could be as well) that is more attractive for sellers of goods/services. This is already apparent in the TV commercials -- no matter what the language the TV ad is in, there is almost always a liberal sprinkling of English.

7. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Oi! Such provisions to lure IAs for dating already exist. Amulet example time!
    Let's take this feature of IAs sourced from the linked article in your original post.

Few years ago, while co-filling an online form for a delinquent friend in an Indian matrimonial site, I noticed a minor lapse. He asked me to review his profile description. As I was filling in leftover details (for him) I noticed the religion filter with entries: <monotheistic religions>, spiritual. Eh, what about non-religious and atheists and agnostic and IA-slant with minuscule or eroded spiritual nerve. Their requirement gathering team assumed that non-religious are very Beatle and Maharishi hence a catch-all "spiritual". Religious or spiritual! I would have been tickled with a catch-other "it's complicated" even for religion rather than the undermining of a universal over secular filter for non-religious suitors, which puzzled me back then.

Compare this with a IA-friendly and affiliated dating portal from a English-sounding magazine flaunting a dating booth on the side with gratifying options as varied as snouts and tails of those bombus bumblebees on the planet to cater to the reader's religious inclinations. The team behind the popular magazine might have been more discerning of their crowd base as the faith option reflected the The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James and the cupid option is not a sharp and narrow-slotted romance but ranged from "friends" to "until death do us part'.

The insightful thing is not that IAs wish to seek other IAs through IA-affinity. The punchline of this bombus message is that a clever bloke (who might have been tipped by Sajith Pai's intel) tapped into that psyche to mediate the romances between IAs basing on their preferential taste. By virtue of subscribing to that magazine, the suitors have been screened through one such IA filter of kindred reading choice. I love the magazine, oh, you too! The rest, as they say, is history in the making. What I am blabbering may be 0.1% in the society but that 0.1%, nevertheless, identify themselves with the fine-tuned needs and technology and not stuck in the age-worn practices and denominational influences. The excited leap fraught in IA-EF-EC filters is here to stay!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Amulet likes this.
  8. GeetaKashyap

GeetaKashyap IL Hall of Fame

They must have had their reasons. I can't give you proof of that! Lol.

Amulet likes this.
  9. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Silver IL'ite

Hopping some more then.

Lamarckian than Darwinian.

No doubt. It is not wealth that confers the IA (Indo-Anglian) variance on celebrities but a language-flared halo which demonstrates their sensibility. Hmm, thinking which Indian celebrity could qualify for IA, albeit certain lapses in their public approach. I am trying to recall IAs and accomplished EFs in their telltale diction and accents.

EC is the dominant reckoning! EFs and AIs have only been appearing sporadically with intermingled romances and a discretionary language-instinct in their brood. ECs eat noodles with ketchup lured by those hippety jingles flashed on television but AIs, I doubt.

Overall a funny and observational write-up by Sajith on an emerging faux-caste trying to coalesce their affinity through language and its far-reaching offshoots.

Amulet likes this.
  10. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

You could easily find IA's in non-celebrities. Imagine a girl in Madras, going to Stella Maris college ( it is the Madras equivalent of Miranda House). Name her Srilatha, because there was a time all girl children in Madras had that Sri-prefix. And most of them also went to music class to learn to sit and sing.

After college she gets a job in a local Ad agency, couple of years later she is off to IIM in Ahmedabad, meets a young man from Aligarh (Akbar?) who had also come there to get his MBA chops. The two of them reach an "understanding". I am sure that was done in English. And then they go on with their lives. Tots and all. EC meetup leading to EF couple, and IA children.

[Names and places mentioned herein are real, and not fictional :smirk:]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018