Famous Street Food from your City :-)

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by sweetshreya, Apr 3, 2013.

1. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I'm missing India. And in the process I'm missing those chat-wallahs, pani-puri & bhel wallahs desperately :-( I want to rush to one of those street side stalls and have those delicacies to my heart's content.

We all have heard about the famous street food of Delhi or Mumbai. But all of us also have our own favorite junctions in our own cities which we feel are superior to anyone else in any other city.

For example: My personal favorite are:

1. Pune: The one opposite/near Pune University. Awesome chinese food, if I remember correctly.
    2. Nagpur: Telankhedi Lake & Temple side samosas and pakoras.
    3. Hyderabad: Begumpeth... Don't remember the exact place. I was very small that time.
    4. And of course, Mumbai chowpati.

Please come up with your own list of your favorite finger-food joints in your cities, so that if I get to visit these cities I will know where to go....... :) :wow

2. kirru

kirru Silver IL'ite

I was in hyderabad and my famous street food is chats and manchuria
    i am missing them a lot

1 person likes this.
  3. Angellic

Angellic IL Hall of Fame

Hey though not a foodie...but i would like to add a few- near CST station, somewhere close to fashion street, pav-bhaji center...they serve awesome, yummy pav-bhajis and veg-rolls...then In kharghar, near Daily Bazaar, there is one chinese shop...they serve something called "Chinese Bhel" not the one we generally get in the railway canteens...this one is really very very tasty and spicy...like chinese stuff with spicy indian taste...simply finger licking taste...Geeta bhavan @ chembur-for Vada-Sambhar...Sanju Vada-pav center serve best vada-pav :)

Hey u can drop by to my home any time..i too make tasty pav bhaji and many other chat food ;)

With love,
    Angellic :)

3 people like this.
  4. Endlesshope

Endlesshope Platinum IL'ite

True that Shreya. I wish for teleportation :(
    What with all blandness, cheesiness it makes me go yaaacccckk sometimes and it gets so annoying that when you crave for street food you need to cook it yourselves :rant

My favs are:
    Bangalore : MG road has the awesomest hole in the wall junk.
    Bangalore: Bannerghatta road opp meenakshi temple, this guy sells yummy Chinese and omg samosas.
    Mums Native : Mirchi bajji with red chilli chutney
    Hyd: pani puri opp st.francis, guys with red cloth have awesomest dahi papdi
    Hyd: burgers at universal, biryani at bawarchi, Chinese at nan king
    And the dhabas on the way from Delhi to haridwar

1 person likes this.
  5. sweetshreya

Where where???

6. sweetshreya

Awwww.... Thank you so much :thankyou2: Will do that, if I get to visit Mumbai in this India trip :thumbsup :)

1 person likes this.
  7. sweetshreya

Yup, loved the list :thumbsup May have to go to Hyd this time. Won't forget those two options. And B'lore too. :)

8. waitingforu

waitingforu Silver IL'ite

For me spicy chat items and idly/dhosa thattu kada(Street side shop) are my all my favourite and no 5 star hotel could match the taste of these..I'll list few of my fav places which are a must eat place for me every time I cross these places..

Chennai marina beach - (molaga)Mirchi Bhajji and Bbq'ed or roasted(which ever is right) corn with a layer of lime juice and chilli powder..

In a lane Behind shanthi theatre mount road - North indian chat shop, their samosas are a must and my dad loves their lassi..

Ellis road mounth road, half way through you will come across a junction - a chat shop and barotta shop opposite to each other....Chat shop their samosas and jilabi's are delicious and barotta are quite popular combined with their kushka..

Annanagar Karthik tiffin centre - YOu will find this street shop much crowded than the hotchips next to it and you will find ppl from all walks of life.

Thiruppathi - Street side bhel puri? or the masala pori as I know is a treat when its cold. If you happened to stay you would have people bring idlies around with a chutney...It's such a delight I am not sure if you still get it as its been years since I had been.

kerala - enroute to sabarimalai, kappa kanji and kezhangu

COchin - There is a famous Variety dhosa shop off M G Road, I think its called dhosakada or something.

Kumbakonam, Madurai - Idly kada - Hot steamed idly served in banana leaves with podi, sambar and chutney...wow

Bangalore - I can't remember the place as I was taken by a friend, a street full of street side shops and you get almost everything and i saw ppl from all classes..food was great..anyone knows?

I miss all of these big time!

4 people like this.
  9. prettydevil

prettydevil Platinum IL'ite

mouthwatering thread Shreya....

My favs are ....no particular location... I used to eat at any damn thela :-D ....still will try to list out my fav)

Paani puri, Dahi Puri
    Pav bhaji -- (Juhu Chowpathy)
    Sandwich -- (Jai Sandwich, Mithabai Grill Sandwich were my fav)
    Chicken Frankie
    Chicken Shwezwan Roll, Chicken Garlic Roll (outside Lucky Hotel, Bandra)
    Any chinese dish :-D
    Chicken Tandoori, Prawns fry .... basically evreything you get from Punjabi Dhaba (my fav is the one on linking Road, Bandra.... ohh you just cant resist the smell )
    Naariyal Paani :-( Miss that a lot
    Masala Milk/Enerygy (served at railway stations)
    vada Pav
    Misal Pav
    Chicken Biryani.... (Andheri )
    aahhhh... Shreya... :rant .... now you are making me soo much tempted for these dishes....

will come back again...

4 people like this.
  10. Kungumam

Kungumam Gold IL'ite

In trichy just opp to uchi pillai year koil if you go late night 10 pm you can get super dosas ...
    Different flavours tomato, pepper, cumin dosa, masala dosa etc.

4 people like this.