1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Family pics on dashboard cut mishaps

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by suby, Jan 8, 2013.

1. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

I want to share with IL family this wonderful News Paper article that I came across today:

New Delhi: Drivers of Andhra Pradesh’s 23,000 public transport buses are a lot more responsible now, a transformation that has happened in the last six months. That’s because buses they’re assigned to have photographs of their children and wife stuck on the dashboard. This step, coupled with random mandatory breath analyzer tests, has had a salutary effect and accidents are significantly down.

Also, the December 16 Delhi gangrape has spurred the AP State Transport Corporation to make state bus travel safer for women. It has started martial arts training for its 7,000-odd women conductors so that they can help prevent attacks on passengers.

On Monday, APSRTC, which ferries at least 1.4crore passengers every year,received a trophy for its impressive accident-control record from highways minister C P Joshi. In the last two years, the corporation has recorded only0.13 and 0.11 accidents per 1 lakh km.

“Ever since we started the two recent initiatives to slam the brakes on accidents, our record has improved to 0.09,” APSRTC vice- chairman and managing director A K Khan, an IPS officer, said.

The idea of putting a driver’s family photograph on the dashboard was implemented last July in view of the psychological impact it has on the man behind the wheel. “Every driver leaves home promising his family that he’d return home safe. A soft reminder of his family motivates him to be alert. Thishas gone down well with the drivers,” Khan said.

To ensure the drivers aren’t drunk, the corporation has procured 300 advanced breath analyzers and tests are mandatory. Last July, 25 drivers were sacked after they were found drunk. “This strong message of zero tolerance to drink driving has worked,” Khan said. This year, the Centre has put the focus on drunk driving to check road accidents across the country.

This News artcile brought some cheer in me at a time when gloom has descended due to winter fog as well asthe recent happenings in Delhi, thanks to the media too for blowing things beyond proportions.

Trust you enjoy reading.

-suby

2. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Suby,

This is really a great news. I am out of Hyderabad since last six months and I did not know about it. Any small step towards preventing accidents is a big step in fact. Thanlks to AKKhan. He is a very sincere Police Officers and a very good person. I saw him many times.

Thank you.

3. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear shyamala,

been to Hyderabad I think twice, both on offiical trips. second time it was byflight, really liked teh air port.

thanx for the first feedback.
    -suby

4. Pallavi4me

Pallavi4me Platinum IL'ite

Thats a really great news, my dad will be one happy person to hear this about APSRTC. Thanks for sharing.

5. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear Pallavi,

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that the news would make your dad happy.

-suby

6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi suby,

Well I hope this initiative is implemented in other parts of the country also.

7. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear Nandini,

thanx for your view. i too hope taht it is implemented everywhere.
    -suby

8. vsharma

vsharma Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing. Its been implemented from July but only now through your post i got to know. This should be implemented throughout the country.

9. suby

suby Silver IL'ite

Dear vsharma,

I should thank readers like you and IL community that this forum provides the platform where we can share our knowledge and experience.
    Yes, you have asked the right question. This should be implemented in other places as well. Unfortunately only bad things make headlines and these kind of positive things don't grab headlines.

-suby