1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Fabric tubes : Making & Usage

Discussion in 'Sewing & Stitching' started by artvani, Oct 18, 2009.

1. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

Re: Uses of fabric tubes

vani,

Y'r intention is clearly seen in y'r hardwork. Easy to adapt as i too love to adapt these in high neck blouses. i'm not a fan of low neck blouses.

2. Chitra29

Chitra29 Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

re: Fabric tubes : Making & Usage

Hi Vani & Varalekshmi
    Thanks for your explanations. I understood making & using these tubes in our dresses...
    Vani madam I merged these two threads into one so that it would be more useful to everybody.
    Once again thankyou.
    With Love
    chitra

3. divyagera

divyagera New IL'ite

hi vani this is grace can u teach how to do the kind of piping to the neck shown in the pic.the coffe coloured blouse with dark brown piping,with same look in the right side and wrong side i mean where we dont need to do any hem instead finish it with machine seam [​IMG][​IMG]

4. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

stitch the bias binding to the garment, right sides together.Trim the seam.turn the binding over the seam,turn the raw edge of the binding inside,fold the piping such that it covers the machine stitch and tack.turn the garment to the right side and stitch in the ditch.that is in the seam line. Do not forget to turn and see whether the stitches have fallen on the binding are not!

5. divyagera

divyagera New IL'ite

hi vani thank you for ur reply ,but am really sorry to tellu that i didnt understand ,actually here in IL discussions i dont understand most of the terms that u people use i always wonder if where u have learned all these,is it that u have done any fashion designing course?any way i want to kindly send me a pic if posssible pointing these terms right sides,raw edge,binding,ditch,tack,trim the seam,one more thing vani i went to one lady for learning tailoring ,when i asked her about piping she said they a use piping thread for piping do u have any idea about that?

6. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

I have not done any fashion designing course.During after S.S.L.C and before joining the collage,I had gone for a sewing class for 2 months.Once you start sewing .Have you attended any sewing class?If not go to a class and learn the basics.Then it will be easy to follow what we are saying. I will explain the word bias binding.Bias binding is also called cross-piece.Take piece of fabric.draw lines diagonally and cut the cloth on the line into pieces.these pieces are called bias binding.or bias strips or cross piece.These are used to cover the raw edges.there are various methods of finishing raw edges.One such method is called piping.Raw edges means cut edges.when you cut a material raw edges are formed. If you pull the fabric, threads will come out. By the way Which language do you speak?

Attached Files:

7. divyagera

divyagera New IL'ite

hi vani thank s for ur explanation i got as far u have explained,really really appreciate ur effort and ur the time u care to take for doing this,any way i speak telugu,pls tell me about right sides,ditch,tack,trim the seam,one more thing vani i went to one lady for learning tailoring ,when i asked her about piping she said they a use piping thread for piping dome about this too,
    i have been to class for 2 days,its a real sad story toknow about,i searched for some training institutes like how am doing now,finally i found one very far away from my home and there after paying her fees i found out that, that lady is not a professional,she learned tailoring it from her mother just like how i learned ,so the thing is she knows as much as i know ,she never used any terms at all,so then even though i know basics iam unable to catch u because am not familiar with those terms,any way thats my story and am still on search,any way vani did ur teach u all those neck designs,because this lady where i went ,she herself did not know to stich those necks....

8. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Vani,
    The fabric tubes making has become very easy for us after seeing your post as to how to make them.......very very lucid and clear, you have also shown via pictures as to where to use them. Thank you very much.
    Shanta

9. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

This is a very interesting topic, Vani Mam. I always how to bring out the tube to the right side after stitching the ends of the wrong side together!

10. artvani

artvani Platinum IL'ite

Hi Divyagera
    In a printed cloth there will be right side and wrong side.In right side prints will be good.On the wrong side prints will be hazy. Wen we join two printed pieces of printed cloth we keep one piece on an other .then right sides should touch each other for that we say right sides together.or else when you open the layer after stitching one portion will be with prints the other will have hazy prints.After stitching two layers when you open the folds you see a line where two pieces are joined.that is called ditch.when we stitch piping if we stitch on the ditch stitches will not that visible.Tacking means long running stitch It is a temporary stitch.I have explained it in one of my threads and also in my blog.. While stitching we will not stitch in the end.we will leave some place and stitch .that is called seam. seam means raw edges that lie after the stitching line..while stitching necks we will cut the edges, .that is called trimming the seam..ready made bias strips are available .I think your teacher mentioned it.I prefer preparing my own. .After cutting a garment bits and pieces will be there we can use them to cut bias strips.Teachers will not teach every thing .Basic methods they will teach.Once you start sewing you will find out.start from basics and learn.Do some mistakes .you will learn from that!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009