Extremely Low Milk Supply

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Bliss9, Apr 5, 2017.

1. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thank you @DDream . Even I am determined to pump till my baby completes her 6 months but it is just that pumping is so much of work and you don't feel motivated when all you get is 2 ounces in a pumping session.

2. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thanks @bhucat . I have been pumping for every 3 hours during the day and every 3- 4 hours during the night from past 2 months. I did not see any noticeable change in my supply.

3. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for replying. Yes it is true that most of the women supplement for first 3-4 days.

After my milk came in - no engorgement at all. The only way I knew my milk came in is because I was pumping I could see that the colour of milk changed from yellow to white. Only tiny drops.

I used to feed my baby first and supplement her at the breast (SNS) using the syringe for extra stimulation. I did that for every feed for 2 weeks and then it was so exhaustive I introduced slow flow bottle. Luckily my baby did not refuse the breast even after introducing the bottle. So after 3 weeks or so, her pediatrician asked me to reduce the amount of supplement and give her the breast more. I did the same and for 1 week she was continuously crying. Her wet diapers and poopy diapers count is way down than normal. Only 1 wet diaper per day. I almost starved her :( At her 4 weeks appointment, she did not put on any weight.

I did not give up. I went to the breast feeding support group. They weighed her before feed and after feed and the scale showed that she was having only 1.6 oz from me which is not even half of what she needs. I have no latching issues with my baby. she is not tongue tied too.

I know that they say that pump is not a good indicator of how much we produce but in my case my baby is eating at my breast , the same amount that I pump.

This is how I came to conclusion that I am not making enough milk for her

4. Vaikuntha

Vaikuntha Platinum IL'ite

It is not unheard of that one has low supply.
    Looks like you have tried a lot of food and supplements. Try all that you can, but at some point if you feel that baby is not getting enough then do supplement. Since, this is a high growth phase, let her have the milk and supplement.
    You might feel sad but the raising the new born to a 5 year old is such a big effort that you will not rem/ or be truly sad for ever, about this. I have a friend who has 3 under 6, breastfed all for only 1 month or so. Amazing mother, I do not think she is less than any other mother. She also eats well, eats everything, has a lot help with cleaning etc. But guess what she has three..and they are all growing well.

Bliss9 likes this.
  5. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

hmm...OP you are producing little less than what is needed at the moment. Try nursing him first as long as he likes and then supplement with either expressed milk or formula. Since there is some underlying medical condition, I highly doubt that traditional solutions like pumping etc will create any difference here. So accept the reality and feed your baby as long as you can since you are producing less, your milk will be densely packed with nutrition.
    Also Do not forget that your body gifted you the most beautiful baby . So what it could not produce enough milk. Down the line, some years from now, you will not even remember that you could not fully feed your baby. Your baby will be as good as any other exclusively breastfed baby. So cheer up girl and enjoy your time with your baby as much as you can instead of stressing over this. Trust me they grow up so fast that you would crave to live their babyhood again.

Yup
    you have low milk supply which is very rare to have.My dear this is something cannot be rectified any time soon. So do not stress yourself.

6. boldnbutiful

boldnbutiful Silver IL'ite

Hmmm..... So then try being stress free and enjoy ur time wd baby ..dun wry about ur supply most of the babies go grow well with formula nothing wrong wd it.ur baby will ense ur stress and movng frwd bcz of which baby wont sleep properly ( on experience) so be cool ,be happy n enjoy tine wd ur bub

Bliss9 likes this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

Op, I also have faced same issue from beginning..due to C section my milk took many days to come in and then it has been less from beginning..have tried pumping, expressing, supplementation of herbs and even medications..no use..atleast ur getting 2 oz per session..i dint get even 1 oz per session most of the time..1 oz per 2-3 hours is not even enough for a newborn baby ..that's in the beginning and it has been reducing gradually over time..have given formula mostly..Bottlefed babies also generally do not take interests in sucking much at breast, so this also adds to it..it's my reality, though I feel very upset sometimes.
    But it's not rare..low milk supply is more common than u would expect,.during discussion I got to know of many friends, relatives etc who had low milk supply and could not give much mothers milk to their babies.

Bliss9 likes this.
  8. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the support @hermitcrab . Yes raising a child needs lot of effort. As you know all the mothers want to give the best to their children . I had so much guilt thinking that I am the only one who is not able to give the best to my child but after reading so many posts from this forum and many other baby forums, I am convinced that baby can be healthy even if there is little or no breast milk. Recently, when I happened to talk to my maternal aunts, I got to know some of them didn't have enough milk for their first babies but had tremendous supply for the second ones and guess what all my cousins are equally healthy, irrespective of being breastfed or not.

9. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

Thanks @fourthaugust . Yes you are right . There is some medical condition which is preventing my body to produce more milk. Had I been in India, I would have got good medical advice. Anyways I will have to come to terms with my present situation.

10. Bliss9

Bliss9 Senior IL'ite

hi @Needtobestrong . Hugs to you. I know how would it feel to not able to feed your baby when so many people around us are doing it with ease. I had 5 of my friends who delivered their babies pretty much around the same time as me and all of them have sufficient milk for their babies. I was so disheartened that it is only me that has the problem but when I spoke to more and more people, I came to know that there are many out there who could not produce enough milk and their babies are healthy too. So I am trying to do the best I can do. Hopefully we will get over the guilt feeling as and when time pass by