1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Extension of short validity passport

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by wizkid, Dec 1, 2008.

1. wizkid

wizkid New IL'ite

my mother in law's Ten year passport (issued by passport office, chennai) is above to expire by Jan 2009. so when she visited to the US on Apr 2008 we applied for a reissue of passport with the Indian consulate New york by may 2008. we received a new passport within a month but the new one is valid for one year that is till may 2009.
    * In this case do i apply for a re issue of passport or
    * apply for the extension of validity period ( for the one year passport issued by Indian consulate new york (and they also stamped on the old one stating passport cancelled and visas within this passport not cancelled).
    Now both me and Mother in law are in chennai and i am planning to come US in the next couple of days.
    somebody help me how to proceed in this regard.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

2. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

3. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

you should apply at the chennai passport office as soon as possible, for extension of short validity ppt. Travelling to US requires atleast 6 months valid passport, if i'm right. If your mother is travelling in B1/B2 visa, the indian consulates in US might not take up her case if you plan to extend it after coming here. These days, tourists are not being served at the indian consulates here. So dont take a chance; you better extend it from chennai itself. I doubt if VFS can do something abt this. there are concerned abt US visas, not indian passports.

4. raagini

raagini Silver IL'ite

oops , its my oversight ...