Excellent way to treat Racism - British Airways

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by rekhatj, Jun 10, 2009.

1. rekhatj

rekhatj Senior IL'ite

What small steps are taken to achieve freedom for us all.This scene took place on a British Airways flight between Johannesburg, South Africa & London . A white woman, about 50 years old, was seated next to a
    black man.Very disturbed by this, she called the air hostess. 'You
    obviously do not see it then?' she asked. 'You placed me next to a
    black man.I did not agree to sit next to someone from such a repugnant
    group. Give me an alternative seat.'

'Be calm please,' the hostess replied.

'Almost all the places on this flight are taken. I will go tosee if another place is available.'The hostess went away and then came back a few minutes later.

'Madam, just as I thought, there are no other available seats in Economy
    Class.I spoke to the captain and he informed me that there is also
    no seat in Business Class. All the same, we still have one place in
    First Class.'

Before the woman could say anything, the hostess continued........

'It is not usual for our company to permit someone from Economy Class to sit in First Class. However, given the circumstances, the captain feels that it would be scandalous to make someone sit next to someone so disgusting.'

She turned to the black guy, and said, 'Therefore, Sir, if you would like to, please collect your hand luggage, a seat awaits you in First Class.'

At that moment, the other passengers, who'd been shocked by what they had just witnessed, stood up and applauded.:clap
    This is a true story.

WELL DONE, British Airways

1 person likes this.

2. gisjul

gisjul Senior IL'ite

:thumbsup A slap in the face..good
    Gisjul

3. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

it very sad to hear about this racism, my friends and i faced the same in india last year in delhi, i coming form Afirca have grown up and schooled with black people have many blaack forends. Now i was attending a conference and i was in the hotel staying with my fellow africna counterpasrt from different african countries and i knew some of them.
    so one day after theconference we decidedto go shopping in karol bagh as my hotel was there and my two african male friends joined me, now we went to a shop and the sales guy started to blad sometihing in hindi and i understand hindi very well, so i told him that if oyu don't want as a customer tell us to go as he said in hindi "DEKHO KALE KE SAATH LADKI HEIN" look she is with a black guy.

then we went to a shoe shop and there was a woman sitted so my black friend sat next to her as he wated to try out shoes she immediately got up and walked out it was pure rasicm and iwas so hurt.

Another incedent was i was with my friend from States and she is obese extra obese and she has a problem, so we were walking on karol bagh adn people i mean indians staring at her and their children laughing it showed that these parents didn'tteach manners to their children and they themselves were so pathetic, i felt so bad and humiliated.
    Being an indian i was born and raised in Nairobi, Kenya. I am so sorry to say this that Indians from India are quite ignorant on a lot of issues and ever here the expats here do discriminate here and insult the africans and a few have been deported back to india and i am talking about well educated indian expats.

alpa

4. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

Really appreciate the air hostess and the caption. Shame on that women.

5. rekhatj

rekhatj Senior IL'ite

Hi AlPA

It's really so disgusting to see educated people also behaving that way..

Racism in India not only exists against other countries but also exists within religions. It cannot be so easily erased from the minds of the people. It will take its own pace. But with the current political system, I doubt if it is going to happen. The best example is the Reservation System..once started this topic is never ending...

Anyways...Lets hope for a Better India..sorry better Indians

Rekha.

6. chaitusri

chaitusri Silver IL'ite

Hi Alpa!

As an Indian I am feeling ashamed to the situation you mentioned.

And still I am in surprise and thinking about "How can an Indian behave like that."

7. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Dear Alpa, am sorry about that wired incidents to your friends which took place in India, that was very annoying laughing at your friend, it should not have happen!!

In recent times i have been reading lots and watching news that Indian students are facing in Australia by this racism :bonk still remember where Shilpa Shetty too had faced this, though the Big Brother program was watched by million in national channel.. Racism is evry where and in every field, hope you all know recent in circket also.

But i think there is no need to hurt in the name of racism, heard lot of stories which took place recently. Indians in Australia are treated as thieves and blamed by whites saying that you blacks (Indians) go away form our country, you guys work for cheap and we are not getting jobs!! They were lot of incidents were students were hurt very badly just for money, credit cards, mobiles & wallets they were joined in hospital in critical conditions..

I pray god for the safety of Indians living abroad :bowdown

8. Ruhaanee

Ruhaanee Senior IL'ite

Racism exists everywhere, the forms in which it exists differs.

In the West its against the colored people, In India you will see it in religion, caste, region, biases...........over everything infact.

Being educated never means that you will not be racist, its just that some people have their thought process moulded or fixed in such a way that they will others as untouchables.

We will find it everywhere. We should not be surprised that in India it exists in such a obvious way.
    In the UAE i always find that whites get treated better than all the rest.
    In India also I have always seen that whites get treated better and people carry on with the notion that Blacks may be only drug peddlers...

Rgds,

9. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Kudos to british airways and its employees !!!

Amazing :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

10. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

good one.I guess this message has been forwarded for more than 2 years..This incident did not happen now...