Ethics and Doctors

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by sivanpenn, Jul 10, 2011.

1. sivanpenn

sivanpenn New IL'ite

This is weird
    I had a very bad infection and needed to consult a gynecologist in chennai urgently on sunday evening. I googled found some places. Surprisingly every place around my area i call, they all have no gynea at that time as its either a holiday or that they see 10- 1.Thats 16 numbers I called.
    Given exorbitant charges these days to even see your face, I guess they can go all corporate.
    I called Just dial and got more numbers. They were either non existent or that no doctor was available or that they all have gone out or they don't pick calls
    To top it all for the day, I called a certain Dr.Padma Priya in ECR road in Chennai. She asked who i was so rudely that i doubted I had dialed a wrong number. I asked if she was a gynea.she was extremely rude in tone and asked what i wanted and whom i wanted to talk to. Having dialled so many numbers and still in pain i couldn't recollect.I told her i cant recollect her name but I asked if she was near ECR. It sounded like she was outside somewhere. Her talking etiquette were at a record low.I think she thought being a doctor she could get away with it.Before i could ask her if i could come there right now, she said so you have an appointment with me. i said no. She said is this an emergency. Before i could say anything. She continued saying, ok then call me tommorrow and abruptly hung up.I dont want to say evil things about her. I do really feel sad that people have gotten so soulless that there must be some criterion to be a doctor more than academics.She may be well educated . That education even a robot can have. if were a doctor i would be ashamed of her.

2. naanvetti

naanvetti Senior IL'ite

hello sivanpenn,
    You are so correct!!! I have experienced these things so many times.
    My dad used to consult with a doctor in chennai. God, he was such a jerk you wont believe. My dad has a very friendly smile and face. So each time he enters the room, he would wish the doc. ANd that man would hold a frown and say "Sit down Mr". Not even his name, just say "Mr" . Apart from being rude, he also had no respect for older people. :bonkThen would NOT answer any of my questions nor my dad's. Wonder what he was made of. After 3 visits where I accompanied dad, I immediately contacted other close relatives and changed his doc. The new doc is a lady who is very composed, answers every single question etc.
    My friends also have complained of the same thing. No offense meant but I guess young doctors in southern india(because this is where I have experience or know of others' exp) have the pride that there is a lot of demand for them now maybe?
    Not all but many of them are this rude, get defensive when a question is asked.
    In the US, there are rating for doctors and we can visit them based on the ratings/others' comments. Not sure if there is a similar thing in india too?

3. umaakumar

umaakumar Finest Post Winner

Hello,

I would not say all doctors are the same. We come across some who are so nice and we feel like speaking to them about all our problems. My doctor is one such lady. She is so polite and will explain the problem you have in detail.

I have also met many who have a very bad attitude. I never go to them. One more thing about doctors that I detest is that they charge exorbitantly and prescribe drugs that are not necessary.

Regards,
    Uma

4. mathangikkumar

mathangikkumar Platinum IL'ite

Doctors profession was once upon a time ethical and patient friendly now a days it's money friendly.
    It's true that some of them are rude and just do not bothered about the patients need .

As a resident the first thing I ask my neighbours is the approach to doctors nearby and on the pretext of checking my B P,I judge them nd get their contact details and in emergency cases , I have referred them.

Fortunately for me and my family we always have good doctors in the vicinity and have a good rapport with them.

5. mickeymini

mickeymini Gold IL'ite

Ya its true doctors need to be more patient and have atleast a smiling face. This itself will cure half of our disease. And it so happens that on sundays there are no doctors. So in case of any emergency on sundays it is really a nightmare for us.

6. arunab

arunab New IL'ite

yeah not all doctors are like that. i have been to doctor padmapriya. she is a very friendly and compassionate doctor. i had had heavy bleeding and she was the only doctor who attended to me at midnight . i had called various hospitals but could get a gynecologist. she treated me well... its usually her assistant who picks up her phone and gives appointments... i am fine now and all thanks to doctor padmapriya. and i am very surprised that a doctor so kind as her has received a post as such.... u should have met her and then u would have known how kind she is... one of the best doctors i have met

Last edited: May 4, 2014