1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Estranged Sibling - How To Move On

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Meghaa, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Hi All ,

I write this with a heavy heart not knowing how to move on. I have a brother who is not in touch with me. There havent been any issues or fights. Everytime he has something going on he stops contact with me ( even if it has nothing to do with me). He has been in this habit for over a decade now. We are both married now and he also has a son.
    The last time I begged him to share with me if he has a problem and that I will only try to help/support . I also asked what his problem with me is - if I did something to hurt him. I told him it's just not us anymore and that we have our respective spouses and it is very difficult for them to respect our relationship if it is on for 2 months and off for 6 months. I said I want to be in his son's life. He said he is sorry. 2 months pass by and then again same thing. He does not call for my birthday either ( thats a first even for him)
    This time I am just done. Tired of this cycle again and again. So I decided I am going to drop him from my life to spare myself the heart ache everytime he shuts me down. This happened a few months ago. It took me time but I thought I was getting used to it.
    Tomorrow is his birthday and I have been angry /frustrated /sad for a week now.
    How can I get used to this? Any tips/suggestions would be appreciated. It hurts me everytime I see someone with thier sibling or pictures of siblings.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    jskls likes this.

2. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Dear OP
    If its his birthday do call and send your heartfelt wishes to him. Even if he doesn't wish you, you could maintain a cordial relationship by not missing any of his special days. If he doesn't speak text/whatsapp him. Do your part so that from your side none can point fingers at you. You will also feel better. I can totally understand what you are going through. Give him his space and be in touch. Some sibling relationships are like this only.

sindmani, shyamala1234 and Meghaa like this.
  3. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you for the response. I am afraid there is no cordial relationship anymore. I feel belittled and ignored.
    There really isnt any heartfelt wish left in me - dont get me wrong , I dont wish anyone ill ever. But honestly , I cant get myself to care much about him. He ignores my parents - I hate him for that.

'Do your part so that from your side none can point fingers at you. You will also feel better' - I am not sure I agree with this. I cant keep doing things from my side when the other side doesnt even acknowledge it. I have tried that for years - all it has left me is more frustration. If anyone wants to point fingers - thats not my problem.

Give him his space and be in touch - been there done that. Like I said this story started a decade ago - a couple years after we left parents' home.

I am really looking for suggestions to help me accept this and move on .

sindmani and jskls like this.
  4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Sorry I was of no help :(

5. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you for trying. But this runs deeeep

jskls likes this.
  6. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

1. The problem is chronic spanning years.

2. You don't know how it started, when it started, what caused it, who is responsible. There is a lot of ambiguity surrounding the lack of communication.

3. There are clear signs based on what you have written that he and his family unit are not interested in staying in touch with you and your family unit.

4. It is difficult and complicated to answer questions from your husband and in-laws because you yourself do not have the answer. If your husband can understand, he will not bring it up. If they are decent people they will not use this against you to take advantage.

5. Best is to just lie low and do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Knocking on a closed door with no answer can be not only frustrating but also demeaning and affect your self-confidence and self-worth.

6. Whatever be the issues between any 2 people, compromise, sacrifices, and adjustments should not be so great that it affects ones sense of dignity, individuality, and self-respect.

7. If you don't feel like wishing, don't wish. If you don't feel like calling, don't call. If you don't feel like taking the initiative anymore, don't. If your parents ask you and blame you and think you brought this on and are responsible for the situation, explain to them if you can. If not, let it be. Tell them it is between you and your brother, you will sort it out.

8. Don't have to think or talk extremes such as "cutting off" 'breaking off" - it is just a status quo until there is some sign of response and communication from the other side.

sindmani, Twinkel, SGBV and 9 others like this.
  7. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I'm sorry, OP.
    But sometimes you just have to accept that people change, for their own reasons. Are you in contact with your SIL or does the communication run through your brother? I would continue to send birthday and other occasion greetings, especially for your nephew. But don't have any expectation of reciprocation. Maybe things will improve in time, maybe not. The only thing you can control is your own actions. It is a difficult situation.

sindmani, shyamala1234, SGBV and 4 others like this.
  8. songbird46

songbird46 Gold IL'ite

OP,
    It runs deep indeed. Am going through a similar situation. A brother who is not in contact at all, and a sister who barely is (withdrawn, snobby, silent except when they want).

These are your siblings so the hurt is very great, I know. And the biggest thing is that you don't know 'Why'.

You can make one last try:
    1. Wish him on his birthday, for your peace of mind, not for anyone else's. Simply, a text, a kind of Hi. Or, this could be the day you start to let go. Every year you will feel the tug, the sorrow, but it will also be a signpost for your acceptance of the mystery of this relationship.

2. Then, begin the process of letting go as if you have really lost him. You may lose your resolve sometimes & try again to connect with him; doesn't matter - start over. There is no manual to this, no rules, nothing but your heart, mind, memories, and will. Nobody gets a say in how you proceed & how you cope.

The thing is, it really is a loss, a huge great big gap in your life. So you must give yourself time. And allow yourself to grieve this loss. It won't be easy but after a long while it becomes easier.

I have more or less resigned myself to it, accepted it. I deal with my sister's sporadic communication & busy myself with my life. I have cried tears for my brother but accepted that he has no interest in me.

I hope you have friends & family who let you know you are loved.

Write down what you would like to say to them, record stuff maybe.
    I tell my kids stories of my childhood all the time, so the memories are enshrined in some halcyon bubble for me. I can visit the bond & innocence of those days, and my kids feel the kinship, even though there's very very very rare communication. You can do that if it comforts you.

This is a hard road because you are accepting rejection from someone you never dreamed would do this. You cannot retaliate in any way, it's not you. So you resign yourself to their way of doing this.
    There's no point in explaining it to him because he knows it already.

Just one thing, is your SiL not friendly? Can you have a relationship with your nephew through her? It won't be the same but I hope this is possible. Or depending on how old the boy is, perhaps evolve a relationship with him. Call them & talk to him directly.
    Tell your parents the same, though it will be difficult for them as they get older.

I wrote at length here because I can see you are hurting. Hugs to you, be kind to yourself. Take your time to think through what you want. All the best.

CoolPie, Meghaa, Madhumagie and 2 others like this.
  9. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you. My response below
    Appreciate you taking the time .

10. Meghaa

Meghaa Silver IL'ite

Thank you . Thank you . Thank you. I was really feeling isolated. Your post brings me much needed peace - exactly what I was looking for when I started this thread. My responses are inline

CoolPie, sindmani and songbird46 like this.