Essential Stuff to carry on a long journey by car/van

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Jithiks, May 8, 2008.

1. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

Its a good topic to discuss. Since I have a toddler...I too tend to carry most of the items everybody has discussed here.
    Just to add a couple of things here:
    1) Glucose or electrol (just in case). I have seen it has helped us quite a lot.
    2) Soap for washing clothes..
    3) A mat. (for a picnic lunch or breakfast on roadsides in India).
    4) safety pins.

Now I remember when I was in US (7 years back) ...it used to be a spare bindi packet!!!

Regards,
    Hema

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Hema,

Thanks for your inputs ! Glucose water, mats and safety pins are excellent additions to the list.

Here some people carry energy drinks and bars during long trips along with fresh juices in coolers.

As for washing clothes.. mostly we carry a big laundry bag to collect all the worn & dirty clothes. Instead of washing at the inns/hotels we bring it back home and wash them after the trip. Or else the hotels/inns wash our clothes for a price.

Cheers
    Krithika

3. hemchi

hemchi Silver IL'ite

Hi Krithika,

I am totally with you about laundry bags and I do follow the same. This soap is just in case!
    Like our last vacation, we happened to stay at a far relative's place...and urgently I wanted a clean kerchief for the morning for my daughter who had developed cold...and didn't feel like asking the relatives. So this helped us.

Thanks,
    Hema.

4. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Krithi,
    Just as i scanned the Travel forum, i landed in here though late:hide:.You have made a comprhensive list of items to carry along.Its of utmost help :)

Thanks dear!

5. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Hema,

You are right..in the case of emergency like the one you mentioned, we do need cleaning detergents. Again, (not to put you off) :), people use tissues in case of cold (which we can carry) or it is provided in all the hotels and inns.

Good idea nevertheless Hema...always better to be prepared !!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Cheers
    Krithika

6. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Aishu,

Nice to see you here ! :hiyaGlad this list could be of help during long trips..you are most welcome ! Do share you experiences about the temple trip in another thread soon !

Cheers
    Krithika

7. vpriya

vpriya Senior IL'ite

Hi ,
    Wonderful list and tips , thanks.
    I would like to add few tips too.
    While travelling by car i keep all small items, food items etc in rubber maid storage container in the trunk. so it is neatly organized and easy to take out too. i save the sample size shampoo, soap etc from our previous trips from the hotel and use it for our next trip, so no need to carry big bottles of shampoo, soap, tooth paste etc.
    i also carry a sewing/mending kit a small one. once my kid broke a button in the pant and i stitched the button and it was very handy. some hotels keep it in the rooms too. but i carry one just in case.

When we are going for long trips , i carry electric rice cooker and cook pulao, or oatmeal, rava upma in it. we cook rice and mix with puliyodarai mix and eat it with chips, simple and easy meal.
    upma with pickle or podi works out fast too.by the time everyone takes bath and gets ready upma or rice is cooked. if rice is kept in the cooker it keeps warm for few hrs.
    i also carry packed rice items and snacks in yogurt/butter containers or any use and throw containers and use it for the trip and throw it away there . so while returning we dont have much stuff to carry back. no need to wash the utensils too. i save lots of these containers and use it up for the trips.as well as disposable spoons, forks cups plates etc.

For ice box i freeze water in gatorade bottles or tropicana juice bottles the small ones and pack in the ice box, after the ice melts we have cool water to drink and our food is also cold for a day or more. this comes for more time than the ice cubes which we buy.
    i have even stored frozen marinated raw chicken in the ice box and grilled next day in the park where we camp. the chicken is good becos of the frozen water bottles.
    hope all this tips are helpful.

thanks,
    Priya

8. lifeisbeautiful

lifeisbeautiful New IL'ite

1. Map/GPS/ route like mapquest & travel guides
    2. paperwork - licence, regn, Insurance, etc. passprts/GC if going near borders. Hotel booking confirmations etc.
    3. food/snacks
    4. WATER
    5. cooler is best to keep things fresh & cool
    6. germ X to clean hands before sncking & sometimes restrooms on the way are out of soap
    7. Lots of tissues/wipes, etc.
    8. handy change of clothes if there are small kids & jacket ( if going to a cold place). Sunscreen if needed. ( to reapply).
    9.first aid kit - with domstal/perinorm, etc for car-sick travellers.
    10. car pillows, neck pillows, throws/balckets - to be comfy.
    11.Electronics - DVD players, videos, gameboys, PSP,music like CDS, ipods,etc - car games to keep young ones busy. Also blue tooth/handsfree for answering urgent calls. Not to forget Camera & binoculars. ( if needed).
    12. car trash bag with lots of plastic liners
    13.make sure your car is in good shape - check all imp fluids, oil, etc. tires & spare tire, service is done etc. as it can be a real pain otherwise.
    These are the main ones!!

9. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear Priya,

So sorry for the late reply. Visiting this thread after quite a long time! :)

You've added a wonderful points and items to the list that we need to be equipped with on a long journey by car/van.

Freezing the bottles with water and saving the yogurt containers seems to be wonderful tips!

Thanks for stepping in here!

Cheers
    Krithika

10. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Dear lifeisbeautiful,

Once again I apologise for the delay in replying to your post. Happened to visit this thread only today after many months.

Thanks for adding valuable points and things to be carried.

Maintaining the car is a very important aspect before we take a long journey.:thumbsup

Cheers
    Krithika

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009