Epidural - Your Take?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by jillcastle, Jul 25, 2017.

1. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

As I near my due date, I am starting to worry about the labor and delivery part. Until recently I was very sure I wanted to have epidural. I am not sure if this has been discussed before. I was reading about epidural and there were lot of articles claiming that epidural increases the labor time and thus the risk of c-section as we will not have much sense of our lower body. Experienced mothers, both that have had epidural and not, how was your experience? I am basically very scared of pain, but also prefer natural delivery.

Mothers who had epidural, please share if you had natural delivery or c-section? Do you think epidural was one of the reasons if you ended up with c-section?

Mothers who did not take epidural, if you go for another baby, will you choose epidural? How did you manage the pain?

Mothers who had both, what is your advise based on your experience with both type of deliveries?

Please all share your valuable inputs.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Epidural --> c-section. But I know enough friends who took epidural and had a normal delivery.

If I recall right, sometimes it gets too late to be given epidural, so good you are doing your due diligence now.

I wish I had taken it earlier. Took it after some hours of labor only, and by then, I was too tired to push or something. The doctors and nurses were also tired of me. I asked, "Can i try some more time, to push?" Doctor said, "You can try, but it won't help". :buenrollo:

For second one, went for c-section.

My recovery times in both cases were very short. Just 3 days in first case, and 1 day in second. I was driving within 3-4 days of second one's birth. (But carefully.. short distances, and taking care not to drive when the Vicodin effect was strong).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  3. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Epidural -> Natural both times.
    First time I was trying to go all natural and took epidural way too late...just before the window closed. The labor was long and if anything taking the epi really helped me to relax..and things moved much faster after that.
    Second time.I walked in and asked the nurse..when can I get the epidural?

Sunburst, jillcastle and Rihana like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

5. Sansa

Sansa Silver IL'ite

I gave birth to baby a month back and I took epidural and normal delivery. I took epidural when I was 7-8cm and I went to hospital at 6cm.

6. Sunburst

Sunburst Platinum IL'ite

First time epidural -> natural delivery . My labour was quite long and things were not progressing much . I had a wonderful obgyn and she recommended going for epidural. I had some inhibitions and I thought looks like it's going to be a c section but at that point there wasn't much options left so opted for epidural and Pitocin. My labor went so fast after that and I still had a normal delivery in the end .

2nd kid . No epidural and it took me 3 hours from start to end . She was also a week early . Normal delivery. It was painful obviously but things were so fast that I hardly had any time to think about it . Recovery was fast both times infact after the 2nd baby, I didn't have parents or MIL here and I was up at my feet managing 2 kids and cooking with help from hubby .

I have friends who didn't opt for epidural but still ended up having C.

I would suggest you go to with an open mind. Go with the natural flow but if things don't seem to to progress or you can't bear the pain , no harm in going with epidural . It doesn't matter how the delivery happens , ultimately the only thing that matters is a healthy baby.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    jillcastle likes this.
  7. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

no epidural ---> "natural" vag delivery

Many people around me told me to take the epidural, including my doctors. I chose not to, because I felt like I had it under control. Especially, after taking prenatal yoga and having my mother come in as much coach, I was pretty sure that I wouldn't ask for the epidural, even with the pain. I have a very small pain tolerance, but I had will power and Om chanting as my background music. I can honestly say that I can't remember the pain, anymore, so I'll probably do the same for the 2nd delivery.

jillcastle likes this.
  8. Sunshine04

Sunshine04 Platinum IL'ite

9. kalainat

kalainat Bronze IL'ite

Hi,
    I am also an expectant mother. I too had lots of questions about pain management, epidural etc. Then we attended the childbirth class at the hospital. The class was taken by an experienced delivery nurse. It was a 6 hour class where we were explained everything associated with labour & delivery - relaxation exercises, pain management techniques, how to time contractions, things needed to be packed for hospital bag, etc.
    Coming to pain management techniques - we were taught some breathing exercises, massages at the back & hip (to be done by DH), using the birthing ball, epidural and local anesthesia (we were explained all options available, pros and cons of each).

After attending the class I feel confident that I can manage. I dont want to take a decision about epidural now and I feel like I have all the info needed to make the right choice at the moment. I strongly suggest you and your DH attend a similar class ( or discuss in length with your doc) and have all your doubts cleared.

sindmani and jillcastle like this.
  10. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

Thank you all for the replies. Also thank you @Rihana for the thread link. It had lots of posts about epidural. So far I am seeing all good posts about epidural, kind of makes me feel good about epidural. But also trying to keep an open mind cos it all depends on the timing and we never know what would happen.

Pls keep the posts coming. It is very valuable to first time moms like me.