1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Epic read: Game of Thrones , analyse

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Aria, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

Did you read Game of Thrones?
    Do you follow the program?
    Do you spew imprecations in Dothraki?

Nix, naught, nae to all the questions. I had no clue of the popularity of "Game of Thrones' till this happened

Ok that time of the year when you choose a book for the heck of reading, ticking, sidle with the exuberant bookworms nibbling at cocktail sausage, mumbling 'what a phantasmagoric imagery weaved in the novel'. Yeh yeh yeh ..

Join me if you not a devout fan of fantasy books to analyse and spend the rest of the week in the House of Ice and Fire.

Downloaded in kindle - 841 pages, 100 pages a day, 9 days assignment.

I know there is no way I can read the book if I won't condign myself to obligatory imposition. Write a short review of the read of the day favourable and critical.

2 people like this.

2. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Be aware that you are embarking on a roller coaster ride! To experience the full mind-boggling, gut-wrenching, jaw-dropping and rage-inducing awesomeness of these books, protect yourself from spoilers like they were recent repatriates from West Africa. Prepare to experience anger and frustration like you've never felt before —all of it directed at the author. I remember reading a specific chapter in book 3 and flinging the book across the room, calling GRRM some not very nice things, and vowing to my husband that I would never read anything by this author again. An hour later I was back in Westeros.

I've been meaning to read them for the third time. Let's see how many join you in your endeavor. If you need me, I'll gladly pick them up for a third time. I'm up for discussions though. Good luck!

PS: YMMV. I am a scifi and fantasy geek, so your experience might not mirror mine.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aria

Aria New IL'ite

I swipe the cover page precariously entering the land of seven kingdoms having crossed the narrow sea of doubt , do I really want to do it , 841 pages, when was the last time I read such a voluminous book, because I don't remember, perhaps never!

Excited with the equine, canine and lupine vocab in the first few pages "courser", "garron", "cur", "destrier", "direwolf", "auroch" if not anything I can pretend to be a taxonomist of mythical creatures in my advanced years and entertain fellow residents in retirement village.

Favorable: short chapters, characters grow rather gnaw into you in that cold, still have not uncovered any riveting plot which is good as it lets me put down the book to sleep, can remember who-is-who in the family as clepes willfully alternate Cersei Lannister, the Queen, Cersei Lannister, who the queen. Ned and Rob trotting in the woods, caption bubble pops as Peter O Toole and Richard Burton.

Critical: Riverrun and Winterfell, ambsace marks! Why do I feel the imagery lacks fluidity , disjointed panoptic views whilst describing the stretch of North, may be I just finished cosmicomics and comparing. Tch, unfair on my part! Phrases - "shinny up the tree", "quartermaster", very incongruous for fantasy drama.

Who is my favourite ,

Bran the cherub,
    Arya the fiesty ,
    Daen the peaky petite,
    Jon the recusant,
    Tyrian the thunder,

NONE Nymeria has captivated my heart in less than the time it took her to howl

4. helpmeangel

helpmeangel Platinum IL'ite

Aria,

I am no fantasy book fan..but after all the hype surrounding this series, have been meaning to pick up this book from quite some time. After reading your thread, my interest has been piqued again. But do note that I will not be able to read a hundred pages a day.maybe on a good day, but not always..reason being the mother of 4 month old twins,comes with it's own ups and downs..the downer being not having enough time.

Even then, I would follow your thread and your review on the book. Also, will try to pen down my thoughts as and when I complete a chunk of it.

So here's hoping to pick up the book tomorrow and starting on this journey!! :cheers

1 person likes this.