1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

English, Hinglish or Tanglish????? Ask the Oxford Dictionary.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Dec 13, 2011.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Kamalji, I am actually curious to know how many British people really understand Shakespearean English. Don't know where I can get that answer, though.

2. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi,
    Just now got to see your thread but am in a hurry now to pick my kids from school. Will definitely catch you up later on.

Regards,
    Latha.

3. satchitananda

Look forward to that Latha. :)

4. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi,
    I am back to keep up my promise.
    Hmmmmmm............... You know one thing! I was really inspired by listening about Shakespear and his books from people around me and wanted to read atleast one for my lifetime.:bowdown So initially I wanted to try with my interesting subject, i.e. Pride and Prejudice and tried to find it in libraries and could not find one and hence not willing to give up, I searched for it in the internet and at last downloaded it successfully. But you know whattttttttttttttt............ I could hardly read one chapter from it and I gave up as I didn't want to lose my taste in that novel.:spin I couldn't even dare to tell this to anyone as I was scared of their comments. :hide:
    When I read about it in your post I was really feeling like jumping up high. You know having someone feel the same as you makes different.

And coming to English, Hinglish or Tanglish, whatever you call, I am really fed up with the short and meaningless (atleast to me) which I got from some of my friends. For that I need to praise google a lot as it clears my doubt instantly sparing me from the comments of my friends.
    Not only English, it has become the problem even with every language. All are being mixed up like kichidi giving a new look every other day.

I think our future generations need not worry too much about Grammar in any language in future having so many inventions of new meaningless words day by day.:bonk

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Dear Latha,

Nice to see you back nice and quick. One thing about languages I am discovering is that those who want to understand do so no matter whether the language is good or bad. Those don't want to hear don't understand no matter which language and how perfect it is. :-D

1 person likes this.
  6. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Well said Satchi.

7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Satchi
    I am also plagued by similar linguistic concerns but I do not scratch my head beyond a point. My reluctance to scratch my head heavily is out the fear that the outer layer may get peeled off exposing any unsavoury marks that can put me off. Remember the second episode of the Omen series? The young hero discovers that his scalp bears the numbers ‘666’ and realises that he is the anti-Christ and gets a shock of his life. Having spent seven decades of quiet life, I am not mentally prepared for any such eventuality and so I generally leave my head unscratched no matter how strong the urge may be.

You ask what is correct English but I do not understand the need for this question. Correct English is now a myth with each nation following its own version of the language. Their pronunciation is so disparate that the urge to scratch the head becomes overwhelming. When an Australian refers to the day in progress, he pronounces it as ‘to-die’ leaving you wondering why he is suddenly bringing the subject of death in an ordinary conversation. So it would be difficult to say whose English is ‘correct’. England may be the home of English but even there, there is so much of variety in the English spoken among various communities that even a well-bred Englishman would find it difficult to understand it, as my favourite Professor Higgins laments in My Fair Lady:

Dropping "h's" everywhere.
    Speaking English anyway they like.
    You sir, did you go to school?
    Man Wadaya tike me for, a fool?
    No one taught him 'take' instead of 'tike!
    Why can't the English teach their children how to speak?

The famous saying that ‘there is nothing good or bad; only thinking makes it so’ applies to Languages as well. If you hear some of the sentences spoken by popular world leaders, you would know what I mean. I have already pointed out the ‘Foot in the mouth Award’ given annually in one of my FBs elsewhere. For example, George Bush got the Award for this sentence of his:
    “I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe – I believe what I believe is right."
    He is the father of many such dramatic sentences!

If the Bard had written all his dramas in acceptable English, there would not have been so many people making a living by trying to explain the Bard’s English and how divergent are their views! My friends in IL know how crazy I am about Wodehouse and I always try to borrow his style particularly during my weak attempts at humour resulting in people critisising me for not speaking simple English!

As you have pointed out, the invasion of local words in English has made the language ridiculously simple. In Tamilnadu, people refer to urgent matters as ‘head going business’. Managing is simplified into ‘samalification’ or ‘samalify’. And the advent of internet has mutated Queen’s English beyond recognition! I guess this is what evolution is all about!
    Sri

2 people like this.
  8. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear you are always rocking with humerous posts and using your time writing posts and making us think. Like knbg said this is sarvottam post.

First I thought I wont give fb here because I am not good in English, Hinglish, Tanglish or Malayaleesh. But atleast I can appreciate you and expect more humerous posts from you.

1 person likes this.
  9. Aspire

Aspire Gold IL'ite

1 person likes this.
  10. satchitananda

Dear Cheeniya sir,