Engineering in US

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by hemagd, Jan 4, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

OP,

It depends on what your future plans are and which area you want to specialize in...if you are interested in research then US is the place to study. We don't have the infrastructure or the mindset to look at research as being important, at least not right now. But that doesn't make all schools equal in the US...there are a lot of good research institutions which are not necessarily good in terms of 'teaching.' Also if your focus is not on research then remember technical subjects don't have much variation unlike humanities (where you can have multiple schools of thought and so the approach can different based on the college). So one school is as good as another in that aspect, especially for undergrad.

If you are looking at undergrad then it is better to choose a small school which emphasizes instruction...instead of being lost in a large class with too many students. When you do masters, you will invariably choose basedon specialization and that narrows the field well.

If money is no constraint then do go to the US, at least for the experience...it does widen your horizon and you will have the benefit of both worlds. If it is a constraint, then do your undergrad in India and plan for your masters. If you go for your undergrad be prepared for longer study and more independent work load. We do come from a structure pattern while even kids who are educated in that mileu have a difficult time adapting to the level of independent work habits required. One advantage Asian students have is the ingrained study skills...that does help with meeting deadlines and such...but you still have to be put in effort to make sure you are organized. Good luck with your decision.

1 person likes this.
  2. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Dear teacher
    I have been fortunate enough to hit several of your sensible and valid posts/ opinions.

I couldn't agree more on this, so true........I schooled in the CBSE system and was not a bad student. But I did follow that "structured pattern" of studies, with minimal independent efforts, just ate what was given rather than try to make my own recipe! I see my kids doing things differently and work within their mindset.
    Mega