1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dreams… – My own Direction!!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Malar2301, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

[JUSTIFY]
    “Dreams are a succession of images, ideas, emotions and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep. People have sought meanings in dreams or divination through dreams. Dreams have also been described physiologically as a response to the neural processes during sleep; psychologically as reflections of the subconscious and spiritually as messages from God, predictions of the future, or from the soul.” – Courtesy “Wikipedia”

Now that we know what dream is and for sure everyone would have experienced it one or the other day. I’m 100% a victim of it. Sometimes it brings happiness or sometimes it is very scary. Mostly it will be the extension of the day’s happenings or the thoughts that was deeply running in our minds or the incidents that affected us hardly. At times it stays disconnected with everything, Weird!!!

There is yet another type of dreams – Daydreams!!! - A daydream is a visionary fantasy, especially one of happy, pleasant thoughts, hopes or ambitions, imagined as coming to pass, and experienced while awake. Many people in the artistic lives such as composers, novelists or filmmakers develop news ideas through daydreaming (I’m true!!!)

Let me take to my world of dreams. Dreams!!! – Of my own direction (do not worry…you are listening to a person with full conscious only!!)

Everyone has their own expectations. I’m not an exception to it. Not all expectations will be met. But when an expectation not met, it hurts. Also we sometimes expect certain things knowing that it wouldn’t happen. Definitely I’m into each and every point said above.

After some point in time, I started dreaming as if my expectations are fulfilled. That gave me happiness. Slowly I have started dreaming everything that has least possibility or no chance of happening in my life. At least for the time I’m dreaming, I’m happy. In the course of dreaming, I go into a different world, where everything happens as per my wish; everything happens that makes me comfortable and relaxed.

Couple of them to share with you!!!

Very often, I go to the same dream. I always dream about staying with my mom and dad. But each and every time the way I direct seems to be different. Its gives me a wonderful feeling!! Though I end up, Crying.

I wish I had twins. So my dream will go about me having twins and how I and my husband run between them (with lot of confusions of identifying who is who!!?!!). Yet another thrilling one!!!

Lastly, let me put front another one of my dreams (can call it as worst dream), of course this too my direction only. Most often I used to dream as if I’ve encountered death and how would my near and dear ones react!! (Do I sound stupid? may be yes…but please do not curse me :hide:). Definitely I know the value of life and I do not want that to happen in real. But just wanted to know whether my near ones will miss me or not. I do not want to lie here.

I can hear you saying that even you encounter such sweet dreams!!! Why don’t you pen down here??

Thanks!
    [/JUSTIFY]

2. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Most of my dreams are scary and some are so funny. I don't remember the funny dreams, but I do remember the scary ones.

Mostly I dream about ghosts, they don't have time to visit me directly I guess, so they visit me in dreams :hide:

Another common dream is me falling from heights. I get up shrieking and it takes time to figure out that it was just a dream.

There is one more dream that I get so often, but I haven't shared with anyone. Let me vent it out here. I will be walking, sitting or talking with someone. Suddenly I realize that I am naked. Embarrassed I run to cover myself. But no one else in my dream notices it. Then I just wake up.

I believe there is some scientific explanation for such dreams, it will be nice if some one can tell me what my dreams mean.

Nice blog Malar :)

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

I just woke up. I am still somewhat sleepy. A part of me wants to go back and catch an hour or two more of shuteye. Another part says just get ready, go to work, and be done with the day.

I had a dream before I woke up. I am undergoing a diagnostic medical procedure in the dream. I think (in the dream) "Usually, I have a lot of other problems during this test. This is not the case today. I am happy about that." (This is just a summary of some of my thoughts.) I also see radiation shields (like those used against X-rays). I also think "How much is all these going to cost?". And then I wake up.

None of this is profound. None of my dreams are profound.

> I believe there is some scientific explanation for such dreams

I don't know of any. Freud thought that he did but his explanations are discredited now.

> it will be nice if some one can tell me what my dreams mean

I don't think that dreams have any meaning either. They just happen.

During the day, different stimulations cause responses in us. For instance, I saw my friend Steve's wife as I was walking towards my car at lunchtime. [Stimulation.] I know that they are shopping for a van. I asked her "What did you get?" [Response.] This response actually comes out due to the stimulus. In addition to actually producing some responses, stimuli have another effect too: they just increase the probability of other responses which don't quite come out, partly because stronger responses override them. When we sleep, there is very little stimulation, except from the bed, as we move around, stray noises, heat/cold, etc. This is when we see the delayed effect of weak stimulation during the previous hours. These start dreams. Once they are started, they take weird turns.

My sole point: there is no simple meaning to them, though it is very tempting to look for one.

Sometimes, I think of the following analogy:

Think of a table in a library. The library has a policy that users should reshelve the books that they have looked out. They should just leave it on the table. Person A leaves "How to Sell A House In A Depressed Market" on the table, after he is done with it. Person B leaves "Pride and Prejudice". C leaves "How To Build Homemade Rockets For Fun And Profit".

Person Z comes along and sees this motley collection of books lying together and asks "What is the meaning of my seeing the rocket book with the house book and the prejudice book? What omen is this? What is this trying to tell me? What is the meaning of this?"

Answer: There is no meaning to this.

I haven't proved anything by stating this analogy. However, I think that something like this is what happens.

4. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hi malar,

Nice and interesting one there:idea

You know malar, in my dreams I'm always that ten year old girl(?) Wonder what's it's significance?!

Very rarely I would get dreams in regard with my real age..even there, they would always happen in the mansion that was part of my childhood..where I grew!!!!

HAPPY DREAMING!

:cheers
    SARAS

5. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Sojouner,

I understand your point. I am not saying my dreams mean some bad omen or dreams denote some future or such crap. I just believe that our desires/fears buried deep in our subconscious takes such form as dreams. hmm, some things are may be best left unknown :hide:

6. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Let's see. I want describe my world view here, which is going to be difficult like hell, but I will try.

Freud introduced the term subconscious. I think that it is about as useful now as "ether" in physics.

Things happen, our brain/nervous system continuously gets changed.

Things produce some public responses (moving, talking, writing, etc.) and some private responses (thinking). We call the latter the conscious mind. What could have occurred if the other stimulating things had occurred is the unconscious mind. I don't see it as the storehouse of fears/desires/etc.

Something to think about.

Or not :)

7. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Good one :thumbsup

I am totally with you on those last lines, fantasize about how everyone would react when I am no longer here, not sure what it means, but I have done it :bonk

My dream world is usually weird, mostly real life people appear in my dreams, but the plot(every dream has a plot) is always random and the dots are never connected. Sometimes, I wake up with tears on my face or to an adrenalin rush(scary), as the dream feels so real. Sometimes, it is so weird that it would not make sense at all when I try to share it with DH and most of the times I would not remember a single frame from the dream scene.

8. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

Nice blog Malar... I have been discoursing with Sojourner on this one....

My dreams are always scary.... I never remember dreaming pleasant ones.... until this year... Will tell them one by one...

MY major 2 dreams were (1) a heavy object is about to fall on me from the ceiling.. and I wake up screaming... (my poor husband). (2) a man (thief) standing near my bed and coming towards me... (to kill?????)

Nowadays I think too much about babies.... So few times I dreamt of hugging the lil one, feeding, bathing etc.... <Sigh>...So thats the pleasant dream I was talking about... But in one of that pleasant dreams, I had a horrible twist... DH and I has shifted lots of houses since we got married... and in this dream, we vacated the home, had all the things in the tempo traveller and was having relaxing drive towards our new home... half way through we realise that we forgot to take our baby.... :(

9. iniyamalar

iniyamalar Gold IL'ite

this is such an interesting topic and seriously you don't want me start here.
    I have a way too long dream stories. Most of them weird probably because i almost always think weird.
    anyways..

My most frequent dream (call it nightmare) is I stand in a small cliff and around me there is water and only water everywhere as afr as i could see. I can't see anything else but water slowlty slashing beneath my feet. I can hear my family members voices but no one is near me. I am alone here surrounded by water.
    This is the worst dream i get often other than that i always have weird funny dreams which mostly like sojourner said due to stimuli - response theory..

happy dreaming..:)

10. priyaiyengar

priyaiyengar New IL'ite

I always dream as if I am missing my last bus, getting up late at 8 o'clock and not able to go to office; I am all alone in a dark cloudy place; lizard is running over me; dog is going to bite; my family members feel bad about me; etc....very kiddish know
    priya