Down Syndrome(1:85)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sheel, Nov 9, 2011.

1. sheel

sheel Bronze IL'ite

Doctor wants amnio to be done

2. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Dear sheel

Down syndrome is a commonest chromosomal disorder ..Mostly women over 35 are at risk in having a baby with downs but some times it can happen in younger woman as well though 1:85 is considered high risk it definetly does not mean that your baby could have it . Go for amino if you still feel nervous about the baby.. I had my nt scan two weeks ago and I was considered low risk but still feeling anxious about triple screen test m yet to have it done.. Nt scan is more accurate than quad or triple screen test I guess in your case quad test would have given you false positive.. What was your nt measurement during the scan and pls don't mind me asking this question what is your age?

3. Catgol

Catgol Platinum IL'ite

Dear sheel
    According to my knowledge in November you have posted the thread but then what happened to your baby is everything okay?did you have amino done I hope your baby is healthy and chromosomally normal

4. AnithaManjunath

AnithaManjunath New IL'ite

Down syndrome is a chromosomal disorder caused by an error in cell division that results in an extra 21st chromosome. The condition leads to impairments in both cognitive ability and physical growth that range from mild to moderate developmental disabilities. Through a series of screenings and tests, Down syndrome can be detected before and after a baby is born.

The only factor known to affect the probability of having a baby with Down syndrome is maternal age. That is, less than one in 1,000 pregnancies for mothers less than 30 years of age results in a baby with Down syndrome. For mothers who are 44 years of age, about 1 in 35 pregnancies results in a baby with Down syndrome. Because younger women generally have more children, about 75 - 80% of children with Down syndrome are born to younger women.

5. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Sheel,
    First of all dont worry and dont do much google also, it will surely deviate the problem and adds lot of confusion and tension. Check with your gynic about Pros and cons. It may be little high on risk front for mother and baby too. Especially for certain babies, there will be delay comparatively expected in physical and mental development.
    It is again assumption that bad part may happen to us only! Be positive and double check with your gynic.
    Good luck.

6. tamilazhagi

tamilazhagi Bronze IL'ite

A excellent performance by a downs syndrome child-dont ignore or downgrade chilren with downs syndrome