1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dos and Dont with indian Friends/Relative?

Discussion in 'Friends & Neighbours' started by EnlightenedSoul, Oct 29, 2012.

1. EnlightenedSoul

EnlightenedSoul IL Hall of Fame

Hi all:wave, Though it feels good tobe friendly with our own motherland friends and relations while we r in alien land, mostly they are not feeling the same.
    And my experiences with them are mostly bitter and somewhat only needs to act.
    And its affecting and having more impacts than if we experience the same things in india. there we have more other people to interact and let it go of most things than here. What do you feel?

What about you experiences/lessons learned and Dos and Donts with them and to keep decent and good relationships??

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

2. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

hi there might be many Dos and Donts which are based on their respective experiences but the very recent lesson i learned is friends do gossip about you and the worst thing is they black paint you but you are the one who shld wash your black paint and patch up

3. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Good topic, Enlightenedsoul. When we meet other Indians outside of our country, we instinctively want to be friends with them, may be so that we don't miss our people so much. I believe this kind of friendship is more need based than a deeper caring one. It's a good idea to be friends with most people on a superficial level. Meet every now and then socially, for entertainment and support each other in need. It's very difficult to find true friends.

sindmani, anika987, crazymom and 8 others like this.
  4. EnlightenedSoul

:exactly: Me too have experienced the same. They gossips more behind the screen and behave differently without any reason. Sometimes they misunderstands more and give us a 'Bad' tag. we have to bare that, even without knowing the reasons.

sindmani and anika987 like this.
  5. EnlightenedSoul

Yes, we have to accept this positive side of it too. But the boundary line we need to put is so delicate. All the thing their is only offensive and defensive behavior. Some people will be taking overadvantages, and we have to be in a difficult situation, without knowing to say 'no'. Thou, infact these are all very common thing, its impact is more while we are living outside india. Mainly the relationships are more vulnerable, expectations are more, even small things looks bigger and so obviously its hard to maintain, or it goes on very very formally with fake smiles, with more bitterness inside heart.
    But finally as you said, we need at-least that fake relationships and fake smiles in an alien country.

6. EnlightenedSoul

Dos and Dont as of me:
    1. From the beginning itself keep and maintain a safe and decent distance. if we mingle more at first and then find it difficult to continue , its hard to increase the distance, or we have to pay some bitterness for that. So its better to be at a distance from beginning and we can somewhat increase or decrease it after knowing more about the people.
    2. Its better to avoid people who dont have any moral values in their characters. thou we are in need of atleast some fake friends. relationships with people dont have atleast minimum moral values will have only negative effects than positive. so its better avoid or keep max. distance with such people.
    3. Dont share any personal matters.

7. lifeisajourney

lifeisajourney Silver IL'ite

thanks for the likes monita and enlightened soul

some more

never share your financial plans
    never give them suggestions about recipes, cooking or anything unless asked for..
    its always better to learn how to say no in a polished way....i am still learning it

Mehana, sindmani, sumzaya and 3 others like this.
  8. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

Indians are the most laid back people. There are no dos or donts when you invite them. Anything and everything will work with them.......... We dotn care about manners :roll:, least bothered whtehr you have a napking on ur lap or not , whther you eat with your fingers or forks , dont care whther your fingers touched our food or not, not bothered bt the sound forks/spoons make on ceramic plates. You can be as relaxed as you want with us. how'bt that? :cheers

sindmani, sumzaya, Roopamanju and 5 others like this.
  9. bhappy

bhappy Silver IL'ite

So true, I have had enough with one of my relative, he/she will call as and when he/she likes and walk into myhome, open my fridge ,panntry eat whatever he/she likes ,drink juice directly from the bottle, open my lunch/dinner serve himself. I lost my patience at the end and gave the person a silent treatment which the person totally ignored and continued whatever he/she was doing. but the final result is that i am the bad person now in the family who does not respect people. But i am not able to explain my position to any of them...I hate to complaint about others and just keeping quiet.

2 people like this.
  10. Naksh

Naksh Platinum IL'ite

I am sorry may be my post was mis leading. i could be one of those relatives :biggrin2:

2 people like this.