1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dog Work As Probiotic

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by SpritualSoul, Jun 8, 2017.

Ladies your views on "Pets increases immunity of baby"

1. Agree

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

Dog as probiotic

“We think dogs might work as probiotics to enhance the health of the bacteria that live in our guts. These bacteria or the ‘microbiota,’ are increasingly recognized as playing an essential role in our mental and physical health, especially as we age,” researchers say on the project’s web site.

‘Good’ Bacteria
    The researchers say their work will build on previous findings that dog owners are much more likely to share the same kind of “good” bacteria with their dogs. Studies have also found that children who grow up with dogs are less likely to develop immunity-related problems, such as asthma and allergies,

Dog makes baby healthy

Latest researches found that pet may help in lowering child risk of coughs and sniffles during the first year of life.

Researchers say that babies who grow up in homes with a pet — namely a dog or a cat — are less likely to get sick than children who live pet-free.

“We think the exposure to pets somehow matures the immune system so when the child meets the microbes, he might be better prepared for them,” says Dr. Eija Bergroth, a pediatrician at Kuopio University Hospital in Finland who led current study.

When it comes to colds and ear infections, however, Bergroth’s study found an interesting twist: kids with pets were healthier overall, but the health benefit appeared to be greatest in babies whose pets weren’t around as much. Those who had dogs who spent less than six hours a day inside, for example, had fewer infections than kids who grew up with indoor-only dogs. That suggests that when animals are allowed to bring in more dirt and microbes from outdoors, it helps strengthen babies’ immune systems faster.

"I think a number of these studies are really telling us there's not a reason to kick the dog out of the house and it actually might be a good thing for a baby to be born into the home," said Dr. Todd Mahr, who chairs the American Academy of Pediatrics' section on allergy and immunology

geevee68 likes this.

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I don't have a pet, though I wish I did. I feel like the kids that grow up with a pet definitely get a different experience with germs. For sure there is some food sharing going on, whether the parents let it happen or not. What's nice is that babies bond really well with their pets and can entertain themselves without an adult actively carrying them around.

I don't think you should get a new dog while your child is a baby. Dogs need to be trained and a little older than puppy-hood to handle the manhandlings of a toddler.

geevee68 likes this.