Dog seems to have a lot of skin problem

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by malligashivaram, Jun 8, 2012.

1. malligashivaram

malligashivaram Gold IL'ite

Hy friends ..I am actually worried why my Labrador has so much of skin itch ..for the last four month ..he looks awful ..is is because of heat or food , I cant figure out Vets have given all types of medicines to apply it get cures and comes back again....if he sleep in the house it reduces and gets better ..if we keep him in the portico he gets it immediately..I have some plants there Maybe he sleeps on it or eats the mud I cant figure out I have a watchman there too .
    I using Kiskin and another sprays for the reddish parts, which he bites and makes it big .skin psoriasis or what I dont clearly know But a lot of dandruff seems to come out as I brush ...If any other friends have faced similar situation please tell me the remedy ....thank U all in advance..He is one year old.:spin

2. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Is he taking any medication that could be allergic to him? If not, it might be caused by the following reasons:

1) Caused by fleas or other biting insects
    2) Caused by dust mites, grasses, molds, and tree weed pollens
    3) Caused by the change of food or drug
    4) Caused by irritants that have direct contact with the skin

Viswa

1 person likes this.
  3. malligashivaram

Thanks Viswa ...U points are all useful ..yes the is a big neighboring tree which even Iam allergic to ......maybe be the dust or pollen factor ..because it get better inside ..thanks dear friend.I will keep him more indoors.

4. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malliga,
    We are fellow travellers in this sad situation ! My Lab six year old Romeo has beenundergoing the same skin problem since early March.Vet has prescribed various lotions and tablets and now it is a little under control.You need to keep attending to these skin lesions everyday.
    Bathe him once a week with a medicated shampoo....several are available for fungal infections at the Vets clinic here.Make sure he is dry after bath.Spectrazole ointment is more effective I found .I apply this on those patches and then apply a powder called ABSORB powder on top .This powder is available at pharmacies and is good against fungal infections.Then 2 dayslater I sponge all the skin lesions with water mixed with savlon antiseptic lotion .After he is dry, I apply NEEM OIL in generous quantity on all the patches.Repeat this every alternate day and bathe again with medicated shampoo.This routine I have been following since April.The red patches have all gone and new fur is growing .The flakes like dandruff have all disappeared too and his itching is almost NIL I must say.He has only 2/3 patches around neck area now.It is better if he stays indoors till the harsh summer is over.
    The other pet Basset Hound I have luckily has not got this ....I suppose Labs and their thick fur get this .This is the first time he has had this problem in 6 years! The Spectrazole ointment I apply every night.I use the plastic wide 'Elizabethan collar'
    to prevent him from licking.The Vet can provide you with one.Keep it on for one hour till the ointment is absorbed well in the skin.
    Hope this info helps you......it is a back breaking job to attend to this problem but no choice for us ...we have to help our dear pets.This summer has been really tough with power cuts too. Feed him Thiar Sadam once a day at least ....less of non veg stuff.You can give 2 small bananas too.Continue the Vets Anti fungal tablets as he advises.It is a long battle..... but I think I have managed to overcome by 80% so farand so will you too.All the best..

3 people like this.
  5. malligashivaram

Oh Paulina You are a gem of a person!! I will try all the precautions and let u know friend "Bathe him once a week with a medicated shampoo....several are available for fungal infections at the Vets clinic here.Make sure he is dry after bath.Spectrazole ointment is more effective I found .I apply this on those patches and then apply a powder called ABSORB powder on top .This powder is available at pharmacies and is good against fungal infections.Then 2 dayslater I sponge all the skin lesions with water mixed with savlon antiseptic lotion .After he is dry, I apply NEEM OIL in generous quantity on all the patches.Repeat this every alternate day and bathe again with medicated shampoo.This routine I have been following since April.The red patches have all gone and new fur is growing .The flakes like dandruff have all disappeared too and his itching is almost NIL I must say.He has only 2/3 patches around neck area now.It is better if he stays indoors till the harsh summer is over."

I will write down the names and follow it Paulina ....here they gave The ointments ..not the Absorb ..powder..I feel sooooo relieved freinds ...thanks a ton.

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Malliga,
    Glad you found my tips will help.As I said , it is a slow process, but you'll succeed and your pet will be free of this agony.
    The ABSORB Powder I wrote about is not available at Vets clinics, we humans use it , I found it very well suited for my dog's condition,Out of all lotions I found Spectrazole ointment most effective .
    Romeos skin lesions have cleared and new fur is growing after a month...so on all those areas there are little 'kuzhis' or depressions.Luckily being a golden yellow Lab it doesn't look too bad now.
    All the best dear.

1 person likes this.