1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Saree Look Good On Foreigners?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Apparels' started by Rihana, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

#DesiTadka: Naomi's black sari vs Pamela's white choli

This article has pictures of actress and model Elizabeth Hurley, tennis star Ana Ivanovic, Naomi Campbell, Pamela Anderson, Selena Gomez, Lady Gaga, and others in sarees.

I was thinking... have always thought the saree looked better on women from the Indian sub-continent. Somehow, on others it looks artificial. I don't think it is due to the mind being conditioned to seeing Indian women only wearing it. Only few women of foreign origin can carry off a saree well - Sonia Gandhi being one example.

It is nice to see foreigners wearing the saree, and trying out "Indian apparel", but, hardly any of them can really carry it well.

Induslady and Caide like this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Sonia Gandhi over the years has successfully Indianized her looks. It helped that she was not blonde and blue eyed. And her sarees have always been very tasteful and extremely conservative. In her early pictures in India as a young girlfriend and bride of Rajiv she too looks distinctly Western.
    If the women in this article had worn the saree in its conventional form instead of as their individual art projects they would have also looked a lot better.

3. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

Body language the way they walk etc, because of that it doesn't suit I feel, some are more feminine in body language , for them it suits well I think.

ours also changes a bit when we wear pants vs saree

4. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

I met a Canadian Professor who inorder to learn one of the Indian languages went and stayed in rural area and not only learnt the language, epics but also learnt to tie kanchipuram saree beautifully with a hair bun and jasmine flowers around along with a big red bindhi too! she did carry it really well.

parineetha, dnormx01 and Rihana like this.
  5. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

There, there! I see you eye to eye. I did have similar feelings until foray of firangi actresses on Indian turf was a game changer. Are we conditioned to view foreign actresses on Indian soil acting in Indian movies differently.

Amy Jackson looks tender, gorgeous and oolamph (since I already used oomph on Angelina Jolie) in bridal colllection. Our very own Katrina Kaif was oo-laaa-mph in her traditional outfits in Rajneethi.

vaidehi71 and Rihana like this.
  6. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Liz Hurley looked very good in her wedding photos. One of my college friends has this hypothesis to offer. Women with long waists (model-like) do not look good in saris. One must have the "Indian body-type" to carry off a sari.

7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

Anyone can look beautiful in a saree when its put together nicely. What adds to the beauty factor is the motive.
    Why Sonia Gandhi transitioned to wearing sarees? Politics. Lots of other women politicians pick their sarees based on the state they are in or travelling to.
    That time when Elizabeth Hurley went completely topless in a sheer sari - no no.

Rihana likes this.
  8. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I have tried my colleges sareee for diwali. They admire it and can carry confidently, with out worrying stomach is shown, love handles are shown, yet I also feel, Saree looks better on us than on these girls.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
    poovai, Rihana and dnormx01 like this.
  9. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

I think saree looks good on foreigners if they wear it with decent blouses. I like the way Sonia Gandhi carries herself in sarees.

poovai and Rihana like this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

True... at the risk of sounding politically incorrect, I have to say - women with longish waist wearing saree, gives the appearance of a scarecrow draped with a saree. : )

vaidehi71, jskls and poovai like this.