Does Philosophy Help You When You Lose Your Balance Of Mind?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by silentlistener, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

@silentlistener ,

Just wanted to pitch my two cents, even if it sounds repetitive - it is human nature to want to solve our issues and face our problems head long. For our day to day problems we certainly have to learn how to deal with them at a very basic level. That not only depends on our own personalities but on circumstances and others as well - both the situations and solutions. We have a fair idea of who we are, most of the times. Trying to reach that spot that gives us a sense of peace is what we try to do. All the mythological and philosophical stories may not give us a solution instantly but in general having these at the back of our minds helps us deal with our issues a little better - mostly in retrospect. It will help us feel grounded and move on after the fact, thus helping us grow as well.

All these stories and philosophical way of looking at life may not solve our problems right away but may help us accept whatever comes our way better, for we will learn in life that there are some where we can make a difference and some we have to accept, so that we keep our core centered and calm and that we don't allow short term problems have a long term effect on us. They help us become stronger for the long run. Through all this, with or with out these ideas, all we are seeking is self preservation. How we go about it and how much we let life affect us and what aid we take will eventually shape our lives.

I agree with what @GeetaKashyap and @Viswamitra sir have written - thanks to both of you!

Laks09, Rihana, Swetha52003 and 4 others like this.
  2. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Most people lose their balance of mind at some point in life. The reason is that they don't see the meaning behind the philosophy they follow. As things start to stabilize (they will at some point, if not in this life, in another life), the meaning behind the philosophy becomes clearer. The enlightened ones are those who realize it early on, the rest are still learning. I am still learning. I tend to vent to my mom and mom starts philosophy. As usual, I argue with her, because mom beings mom will repeat the lesson over and over till you get the message. I tell her to end the discussion and then after 5 minutes of calmer mind, I realize her philosophy is true. So, I call her back, apologize and then continue with renewed strength of mind.

silentlistener and GeetaKashyap like this.
  3. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

True. Philosophical knowledge does not give us a solution, instantaneously.

Please go through the small real life situation, I have quoted in post #13 in page 2 of this thread and tell me, how will you apply philosophy in this situation.

4. silentlistener

silentlistener Silver IL'ite

5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Appreciate your patience. These days I don't linger long enough to post but didn't want to ignore a second tag.

I agree with your observation but not with the conclusion. Yes, philosophy is not much help in the midst of a 'situation'. However searching for 'applicable philosophies' during a crisis is a bit like being in the middle of an Olympic game and rifling through the rule book for a winning strategy. That's not how the game is won. The game is won long before it begins, through grueling practice sessions and dogged application of the strategies until they become second nature. Knowing philosophical teachings is only the beginning, to effect attitudinal changes you have to live those ideas on a daily basis. They have to be embraced and implemented in a consistent fashion to everyday, non-crisis situations until the desired response becomes your default response. In a crisis situation your brain switches to autopilot and reaches for the tools in your mental toolbox. Philosophy provides the tools; mastering them is up to you. In the absence of these tools all that remains is an angry emotional reaction. It is not the philosophy that is unhelpful, it is the insufficient internalization of its prescriptions. If you live like a bhogi (slave to sensory stimuli) you won't wake up in the middle of a crisis with the clarity of a yogi. It takes years of penance to create the mental space between stimulus and response. Unless you willingly contemplate, engage and wrestle with philosophical ideas in your day to day life, they will remain words on paper, pithy, but irrelevant.

startinganew, kaniths, Laks09 and 6 others like this.